Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought a set of CDJ's!!!

• 24-06-2007 1:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been dying for a set of these for years, and this week I finally got a set! Just got delivery of two CDJ-800 Mk2's. I have barely left them alone in the three days I've had them... so addictive!

Coming from using a Behringer BCD2000 and Virtual DJ, I thought that it was going to be totally different and very difficult to get used to but it was actually no problem at all! It's just way better! Beatmatching is a whole lot easier on CDJ's - it was sometimes tricky on the BCD2000 but I could mix fine right from the start. Mixing with this setup is a lot smoother too, I think my mixing has already improved a fair bit, so I hope it will continiue on this way. I've never been taught anything when it comes to DJing, always just worked it out for myself, but its always nice to get some pointers from more experienced people. I felt I had not relaly imporvedin some time but hopefully now I can take my shills to the next level.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hurray for new toys to play with!

am dithering between getting a second hand cheapy cd deck or else saving up for torq and a new laptop... i figure the latter is the way to go really, seems easier to use the same tactile skillset i have from vinyl mixing to mix files rather than have to learn a whole new set of tactile responses... jog wheels scare the **** out of me to be honest, and i'd only be using the cd decks for unreleased stuff but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Fair play Colly glad you're enjoying your new toys... knew ya would dig them! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Had them about 2 weeks now and am loving them more than ever! Giles you were right, it is a lot more fun on CDJ's! I also now fully appreciate what someone said in a previous thread about the imporance of beatmatching, it really does make a difference. My mixing has improved quite a bit already, so I can't wait till I get a decent mixer and learn some better techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Zascar wrote:
    I've been dying for a set of these for years, and this week I finally got a set! Just got delivery of two CDJ-800 Mk2's. I have barely left them alone in the three days I've had them... so addictive!

Coming from using a Behringer BCD2000 and Virtual DJ, I thought that it was going to be totally different and very difficult to get used to but it was actually no problem at all! It's just way better! Beatmatching is a whole lot easier on CDJ's - it was sometimes tricky on the BCD2000 but I could mix fine right from the start. Mixing with this setup is a lot smoother too, I think my mixing has already improved a fair bit, so I hope it will continiue on this way. I've never been taught anything when it comes to DJing, always just worked it out for myself, but its always nice to get some pointers from more experienced people. I felt I had not relaly imporvedin some time but hopefully now I can take my shills to the next level.

Hey buddy, newsflash!

Real DJs use vinyl.

You are scum

Zascar wrote:
    I've never been taught anything when it comes to DJing, always just worked it out for myself, but its always nice to get some pointers from more experienced people. I felt I had not relaly imporvedin some time but hopefully now I can take my shills to the next level.

Yeah well why dont you practise for 10 hours a day fo a couple of years and try and win a DMC or an I.T.F title!

Oh wait you're using cdjs

:o Hard luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

you're an idiot

What have you achieved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hub wrote:
    What have you achieved?
    Hub wrote:
    Hey buddy, newsflash!

Real DJs use vinyl.

You are scum

Troller! We have a troller! Mods, extricate him from this thread please! :D

Mod's can you please clean this thread? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

"Yeah well why dont you practise for 10 hours a day fo a couple of years and try and win a DMC or an I.T.F title!"

Errr newsflash ...Oh hang on .. who cares!!! .. i seriously doubt that 90 % + of the high raking/paid dj's have either if these titles .. which are associated with umm ... oh yeah hip hop and "scratching"...I dont see Sasha / Tiesto / PvD / Oakenfold etc ... sticking a DMC win on their CV anytime soon.. yet they are among the highest earners in the dj world - and dont forget kiddies .. money is power !!!.

P.S. Real DJ's can mix on whatever the hell they want .. Vinyl / DVD / CD / MP3 / Abletone / or even Timecoded vinyl (you might have a problem with the technology on this one though).

No one cares what format the dj is using except for guys like you for whom their 12' / 10' and 7 inches are making up for the lack of inches elsewhere.

P.S. to the O.P. and mods .. sorry this got up my goat .. congrats on the CDJ's .. have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Hub wrote:
    What have you achieved?

And you are whom?

Because I wonder why someone who has achieved anything significant would go around relatively small and generally not too serious forums telling people they are scum.

So spit it out oh high achiever among us. Bless us with your tales of success and superhuman endeavour!

i really don't understand why on earth anyone would get a cdj when you can do so much more with something like serato along with a much nicer and more tactile interface...

calling people who go the cdj route "scum" though is an entirely different matter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i really don't understand why on earth anyone would get a cdj when you can do so much more with something like serato along with a much nicer and more tactile interface...

i have serato and have used cdjs neither is better they are just different...........there are more bells and whistles on the cdjs tho so i dont know what you mean about doing "more" with serato but i have not downloaded the latest version yet so maybe they have added in even more(they usually do)

i've been looking at getting torq which is a serato like thingy but you can use VST's on it, do loops, and "amputate" so you can keep a tune running off one deck and mix another in on the same deck, basically letting you do 4 deck mixes on two turntables, plus you can use the vinyl as a jog wheel to select tunes, so no fiddling about with a mouse when you should be mixing...

cheaper than serato too at half the price.

i've been looking at getting torq which is a serato like thingy but you can use VST's on it, do loops, and "amputate" so you can keep a tune running off one deck and mix another in on the same deck, basically letting you do 4 deck mixes on two turntables, plus you can use the vinyl as a jog wheel to select tunes, so no fiddling about with a mouse when you should be mixing...

cheaper than serato too at half the price.

ye torq defo has more features hopefully it has the stability of serato and from what iv heard its not far off.............HOWEVER you can select tunes with the vinyl on serato too :p

edit; to get any sort of decent use of vst's tho you will need a very good laptop as that sort of live processing is very processor intensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

It makes me (and every other Professional DJ) laugh when people like 'Hub' approach the DJ box and utter these immortal words ........'I'm a DJ myself bud have a set o' dthose deck at home meself' or 'Do ya not use vinyl...........ah for fcuk sake'. I've been DJing for 15 years all over Ireland and week in week out these fookin eejits come up and wreck my head :D (only had one last night !!)

Whatever format you use is irrelevent,mixing although very important, isn't the be all and end all.........DJing at the end of the day is about entertaining people, Whether it be 50 or 5000. read your crowd and give them what they want not what YOU think is the Dog's Nuts !! :)

@ Zascar, best of luck with it mate,.............it's the best Job in the world ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Check out deckadance (from the people who brought you fruityloops)

It works like serato / Final scratch / mixvibes with the addition of being able to use control vinyl from any of the above.

My mate bought it recently along with miss pinky vinyl .. and it works brilliantly .. also works as a vst inside ableton .. i think it was 200 for the vinyl and software :) and it supports needle dropping onto the vinyl !!! - oh and if you have CDJ's it will support using FS / SERATO / Mixvibes control cd's too .... yummy ... im just waiting till they port to Mac.

Funny cause I've just been looking at all of those options. As much as I love my CDJ's, messing around with CD's is a pain in the ass! The fact that you can only see the first 10 letters or so of each track and have to wait until it scrolls across to see the rest of it p!sses me off so much! I'm to lazy to have proper print outs of all my music, cause I change it around a lot and put it in different catagories and directories etc, burning new CD's etc every time is ridiculous! I also just kinda miss the software aspect of it, so much more flexibility and options!

So, combining this with Serato or Torq would be a nice workaround. I just watched all the video's of Torq here: http://www.torq-dj.com/videos - wow that thing is impressive! The Xponent looks like an amazing peice of kit! Who needs CDJ's!

I would love to properly trial one to see what it feels like to mix on.
    Has anyone here used one?

zascar let us know if your selling the cdjs :p

Will do.

I might just keep them and get Torq Connectiv, but just now sure at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

as an instrument playing, way holier than all of thee, moral high ground residing, 'actual music' playing band member i had a go of a set of CDJs recently and i must say, it was the most musical fun i've had in years!!

although to be honest i haven't gone to a band gig in about a year and a half and have been mostly going to bodytonic/hospital nights so i was curious to see what all the fuss was about.

can't wait to try them again and hopefully be less crap. what kinda money are they?

cdj-800's new for a pair is 1019sterling

cdj1000's new for a pair 1599sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PeakOutput wrote:
    cdj-800's new for a pair is 1019sterling

cdj1000's new for a pair 1599sterling
    more like €1400 for a pair of CDJ800 MKIIs and €2380 for a pair of CDJ1000 MKIIIs
    Thomann.de ftw

tman wrote:
    more like €1400 for a pair of CDJ800 MKIIs and €2380 for a pair of CDJ1000 MKIIIs
    Thomann.de ftw

Thomann don't have them in stock though. They have not had any for months and don;t know when to expect them back in.

Advertisement