Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lecturing advice (nonsense posts split off from sticky)

• 22-06-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

tom dunne wrote:
    A question that frequently pops up here is how you become a lecturer. I though I would share my experience on how I did it and encourage other lecturers, especially in the non-technical fields, to contribute also. The intention is to sitcky this thread once there are a few different perspectives.

Getting a post in lecturing involves two major components - academic qualifications and experience.

The bare minimum for getting a post in lecturing is an honours degree. As you would imagine, the more qualifications you have, the better. In my own experience (lecturing at an Institute of Technology in computers), a Masters the minimum, a PhD is preferred.

From discussions both here on Boards.ie and with fellow lecturers, qualifications for lecturing in a University seem to depend on the institution itself - some require a PhD, some require you to be studying for a PhD, others require you are involved in research. The jury is still out on this one.

Which brings me on to the next requirement - experience. The job spec for a technical discipline in an Institute of technology stipulates that a lecturer must have at least three years post grad experience. That date is measured from the date of conferring. This requirement does not appear to be as prevalent in Humanities.

Working in the field you will be lecturing in is a pre-requisite, as is lecturing/teaching experience. Getting this lecturing experience can actually be relatively straight forward - most colleges advertise around late August/early September for part-time staff. Lecturing 2-4 hours per week in the evening will most certainly enhance your chances of landing a full time lecturing position. Getting experience in your day job as a trainer/instructor would also be a good path to take.

Permanent positions appear to be few and far between, especially in the computing/technical fields. Positions offered tend to be temporary wholetime and pro-rata, the latter being variable hours over the course of a semester. From reading job advertisements in the papers, Universities appear to initially offer a one year contract, though it again depends on the institution.

First : BA or BS.c in a subject you want to become a lecturer 3-5 years ]
    2th Masters In science in that subject 1-3 years
    3th Ph.D (Dr.) 5 years ---- Dr. in that Subject

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Shane80 wrote:
    First : BA or BS.c in a subject you want to become a lecturer 3-5 years ]
    3th Ph.D (Dr.) 5 years ---- Dr. in that Subject

I honestly can't make head nor tail of your post.

What exactly are you trying to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

tom dunne wrote:
    I honestly can't make head nor tail of your post.

What exactly are you trying to say?

You have no idea …… your just unintelligent. You have to became a Doctor in a subject before you can teach it in university . Its far to problematical for you really ….

Just do a foundation course level 6 . Anything over that considerably to hard for you . And a Dr. in a subject etc is level 10 :)

Shane80 wrote:
    You have no idea …… your just unintelligent. You have to became a Doctor in a subject before you can teach it in university . Its far to problematical for you really ….

Uh, no you don't. It's becoming more of the norm to have one, but it isn't absolutely necessary. There are several lecturers in Trinity, for example, who do not have PhDs - though they are more in Arts & Humanities instead of Science.

Shane80 wrote:
    You have no idea …… your just unintelligent.

I have no idea? Is there such a word as unintelligent?
    Shane80 wrote:
    You have to became a Doctor in a subject before you can teach it in university . Its far to problematical for you really ….

That's not true, as Myth correctly points out.
    Shane80 wrote:
    Just do a foundation course level 6 . Anything over that considerably to hard for you . And a Dr. in a subject etc is level 10 :)

If you can't post in a coherent manner, please don't. You are doing nothing more than derailing this thread.

And it's too hard, not to hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Shane80 wrote:
    You have to became a Doctor in a subject before you can teach it in university
    I agree with Myth. Yes it is becoming the norm, but its not 100% necessary. I know many counter examples, including appointments to senior academic positions without a PhD.

As for the rest of your posts :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Shane80 wrote:

I assume that's 2nd. You don't have to have a Masters or PhD as other people pointed out, and you certaintly don't have to have both. You can get a PhD without a Masters and you'll be qualified for a University lecturing job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Shane80 wrote:
    your just unintelligent...... Its far to problematical for you really …. Just do a foundation course level 6 . Anything over that considerably to hard for you .... :)

3 reasons to ban you for a week for not treating a fellow user of this forum with the required respect.

PM me for access after that.

Im not sure this thread will go anywhere useful so Im going to lock it up unless tom dunne wants to let it fly again later.

Trotter wrote:
    Im not sure this thread will go anywhere useful so Im going to lock it up unless tom dunne wants to let it fly again later.

No problem. I had intended locking it, I just didn't get around to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement