Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

launch console with 3 rings of death?

• 24-06-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

What's the story - will microsoft repair it or do I need to get a new console?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lol happened to mine the other day. Called MS and they are picking it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

did they give you any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

why not bring it back to the shop? surely they'd replace it for you on the spot...?

They only provide a 1 year warranty (smyths in sligo), my console is about 6 months over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

You'll probably have to pay €120 repair charge because its out off warrenty. I sent my off a couple of months ago, they sent me a brand new console rather than a repair, it also has a new 1 year warrenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I rang them just last week said it was a launch console, I explained that in Ireland electronic goods have a 2 year warranty by default, your man went off to to check with his boss and hey presto, no charge UPS picked it up for me on Thursday !! I did not have to do much convincing at all !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

land9 wrote:
    They only provide a 1 year warranty (smyths in sligo), my console is about 6 months over that.

What they say is useless. They can't overwrite the law. They sold you a faulty product and should replace it. Ask the consumer rights crowd. I'm sure you should be able to insist on a replacement from Smyths if you have a receipt.

Good luck with it, hope I don't get 3 red lights.

vasch_ro wrote:
    I rang them just last week said it was a launch console, I explained that in Ireland electronic goods have a 2 year warranty by default, your man went off to to check with his boss and hey presto, no charge UPS picked it up for me on Thursday !! I did not have to do much convincing at all !!

Hey, I've heard of this happening, I tried it with mine and got no joy. I've heard of people getting refunded though, any chance I could get the reference number of your call off them as prof that its been happening, even if you could give it to me after you get it back if your a bit weary about it. It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

brim4brim wrote:
    What they say is useless. They can't overwrite the law. They sold you a faulty product and should replace it.
    I don't think that's the case. The shop can offer their own warranty but when that runs out it's the manufacturers problem. (I'm open to being corrected)

You're right zapp - I did a little snooping around, shop policy is up to the shop essentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

This is freaky, my launch console just got the ring of death the other and just about to post here asking the exact same thing.

Anyways land9 keep me informed how this all pans out. I phoned them up and got the standard '€120 to fix' story. I might give it another shot and push the Irish law argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

We are covered by european statutory rights which cover all electronic goods with a 2 year warranty, I had the same problem with my old xbox1 and sent it back for repair 1 year and 11 months after I bought it, Microsoft tried the one year cover story, but I just told them about the 2 year european warranty and they collected it the following day :D

I rang them up earlier on, they said it'll cost me 80 to 105 to fix it and will take 20 to 25 working days for me to get it back - and if I pay with my credit card, they'll extend my live account for a month, free of charge:rolleyes:
    Christ, I'm not gonna be able to wait that long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

land9 wrote:
    did they give you any hassle?

Absolutely no hassle at all.

how long have you had your console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I bought mine on adverts.ie. Three red rings, I rang got a bit of hassle. Told them about the 6 year warranty under Irish Law. Said I had to send in details etc. Waited 2 hours, rang again, got a different guy and told talked for ages, got him a bit bamboozeled (the first guy had registerd the console according to a date I told him and so it was still in warranty when the second guy looked at the record). They picked it up repaired it and didnt charge me. You are in a good position because it was a launch console. Ring and demand that it be fixed, its faulty and is more than covered under Irish law. Keep ringing until you get it picked up and sent out. Get them to email you the UPS labels as it will make things a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I rang on Friday about my launch console and they sent me the return labels no questions asked. I´m in Spain but the 2 year warranty is a european law so Ireland, Spain, where ever in the EU they're chancing their arm if they ask for money.

On the negative side it seems they're so backed up with broken machines they are telling callers it will 20-25 working days, ie. more than a month, before we see our machines again. I´ll just have to get a life in the meantime :(

is there anywhere I can look (consumer rights) to find out more about the 2 year electronic goods warrenty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Mine's been gone a month now and they say it's still in Germany being repaired.

I actually want it back now and i'm being fobbed off on the phone, keep telling me to ring back in 7 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

If at first you dont succeed, then try again. :D

Just phoned them back last night and the person I got talking to said straight off that my (launch)360 was still in warrenty, or so that what the system said. Anyways its getting repaired for free so I'm a happy bunny, just got the label's e-mailed to me so now I just have to order a pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Truther

How do they know when you purchased it? Couldn't you just pretend that you just bought it like 6 months ago? Or do they ask for receipt?

Well the manufacture date is on the 360, and if you haven't a reciept I'd imagine, all that they can go by is that. Can anyone who's got there's repaired after there year warrenty give me a reference number from there call so I can try get a refund of them please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I don't think that's the case. The shop can offer their own warranty but when that runs out it's the manufacturers problem. (I'm open to being corrected)

thats not strictly correct

your contract is with the shop it is their problem no matter when the fault occurs...............warranties dont mean jack 1 year or even 2 years is not a reasonable time for an xbox to break in and therefore under the law they must replace/fix it.

there are exceptions that are made in that it is not practical for pcworld to offer support for windows vista but in this case the shop should be doing their best to at least liase between you and microsoft if you do not WANT to go to microsoft directly.........if you have no problem calling them directly yourself then go for it.
    Julez wrote:
    Well the manufacture date is on the 360, and if you haven't a reciept I'd imagine, all that they can go by is that. Can anyone who's got there's repaired after there year warrenty give me a reference number from there call so I can try get a refund of them please?

a mate of mine's xbox broke and he sent a letter explaining the problem in detail to microsoft and they just posted him a new one....he just had to send the reciept he still has the broken xbox...........ill try and find out exactly were he sent it .....it might still work without a receipt if it is a common problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So what is the story with the warranty? Is it up to the shop or the manufacturer? Is it a two year european warranty or a 6 year european warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

My 360 isn't broke *fingers crossed* but when I bought it in Gamestop in Feb the guy made a big fuss of telling me what to do if it does break.
    He basically said keep your receipt and if it breaks within a month bring it back to the store and they'll replace no questions asked.

However he said after that it's Microsofts problem. He pointed out a number to ring on my receipt should this happen.

A month? No way its at least a year from the date you bought it and has it has been pointed out before, European Law states 2 years at least. Some say Irish law covers you for 6 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Moojuice wrote:
    A month? No way its at least a year from the date you bought it and has it has been pointed out before, European Law states 2 years at least. Some say Irish law covers you for 6 years.

A month replacement with no questions asked. I'm sure he meant that after a month they'll repair it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Got a call of my mate today his console got the old red ring o death. Talked him through a few things to try. still the same. so told him to get onto microsoft! Got off the phone and turned around to give my own a go for a bit, Guess what! it died the 3 red rings! I thought it was funny that both myself and my mates died the same day. He's send his back. I've played around with muine too much that i don't think send it back is advisable :p

The best option imo is get a new xbox - argos will sell a core system with a 3 year guarantee for €360, can't be bothered to put up with microsoft's sh!tty repair service.
    I'm getting desperate and the novelty of the girlfriends ds is wearing off!

• Advertisement

mine was back in two weeks. it was really quick.

Advertisement