Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock vs Baroni

• 24-06-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

There's a link to a video of this in the video thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53474953&postcount=168

Brilliant fight. It was like a great wrestling match because of the drama in the build-up to this and what happened during the fight, right to the very end
    Frank's still got it, especially the ability to make people want to see his fights. I thought Baroni was out when he got knocked to the ground, Frank probably should've just kept swinging. Seems he still can't get his head around the rules!

Great stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'd encourage anybody to watch this fight. It's fantastic.

Some very interesting notes about the site from the observer:
    --Some notes coming out of the Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni fight. Both came out of it in a war. Shamrock's injuries were a completely blown ACL (not just torn, but it appears he no longer even had one) and a torn MCL from sparring with Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou on 6/11. He had no business walking, let alone fighting and he could do no cardio training from that point on. He was shopping last week in one of those motorized carts that handicapped people use.

I saw him train a few days earlier and his cardio was more than there, but two weeks on your back will take your cardio way down, and realistically, he had very little time to win and it completely destroyed his game plan of outlasting Baroni over 25:00. Baroni went into the fight with a hernia and probably had no business fighting.

Both needed surgery before the fight. Baroni suffered a groin injury, he told me after he thought it was a pull, but it may have been a tear, during the first round, but he has all black and blue down there. Some of the biggest names in the sport would not have fought with either of the injuries both men came in with. Many others would have.

Most top fighters who have mileage on them and are past 30 are coming in hurt to a degree but usually not to anywhere near that degree. The atmosphere live was incredible. It beat Tito Ortiz vs. Chuck Liddell for tension. I can't compare it with Couture vs. Sylvia live because I wasn't there, but it probably wasn't at that level.

I also think if I was in charge of WWE I'd make a real effort to sign Mauro Raunollo, the play by play guy who has called wrestling before too. I think he's tremendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Yeah, that's crazy, I just read it.
    Frank did start looking tired at one stage, it was unusual for him. Fair play to him

Ranallo's pretty good, but I love Goldberg's commentating! So much better than his wrestling ability. I still find it hard to believe that Frank and Ken aren't born brothers, they're adopted. They look so alike

I like Goldberg except his post fight interviews and his over use of the word gentlemen!

You can get a link to the post fight conference video here. Frank made some very interesting points throughout.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53478741#post53478741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

this was a really, really good fight. It's pretty annoying that Dana and Frank Shamrock can't sort their **** out. If this had been done in UFC it would have done incredible business. And it would have been an awesome fight too, as opposed to a lot of UFC main events where guys are afraid to hit each other.

I was sort of saddened by Frank winning because I can't stand the guy, but regardless, a good fight. Frank still has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Ouch! Nice dig in on the UFC 72 main event, although i would be inclined to agree with you
    Heh, not necessarily just that, but you tend to notice that a lot of the time in high profile matches in UFC, the guys are so afraid of getting knocked out. Forest Griffin vs Ramirez at UFC 72 is another example of this. Everybody needs to fight like Clay Guida. And look like Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Goebels wrote:
    as opposed to a lot of UFC main events where guys are afraid to hit each other.

Ouch! Nice dig in on the UFC 72 main event, although i would be inclined to agree with you ;)

VR!

Can anyone explain to me why that response went arse over face?
    VR!

Frank is a very polarizing guy in terms of people's opinion of him. I have to say I'm a big fan of his though. Very, very intelligent in and out of the cage.

He's pushing for a fight with Ken too. From a purely business perspective, I think its a good one to make. Its a story that people would be into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That fight would have been stopped sooner in the UFC. Amazing that the fight went ahead considering how banged up both were even before the fight began.
    Dana White has an interesting view of Frank Shamrock. So it'll be interesting to see if Frank appears in UFC again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That fight would have been stopped sooner in the UFC.

I doubt it, Steve Mazzagatti was the ref, he's always on UFC too. I'd imagine his instructions come from the athletic commission, so there wouldn't be any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just finished watching this PPV... pretty decent show and the shamrock v baroni fight was excellent. nice to see cung lee too, he looks amazing.

its crazy that baroni and shamrock fought with those injuries. esp shamrock who im watching being carried to the back cos he can`t walk! what a performance.

not sure about the announcing though... mauro ranallo is ok, but he just rips off too many pro wrestling catchprases and imo goldberg and jay glazer are pretty horrible... esp goldberg with his awful post match interviews.

I liked the show though and it would definitely encourage me to watch more strikeforce/ elite xc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Should post over on the MA forum guys unless it's directly related to pro wrestling :)

PW Charter wrote:
    This forum is for the discussion of wrestling - pro, amateur, Olypmic, freestyle, etc, aswell as Irish wrestling organisations and UFC/MMA events

Doesn't HAVE to be directly related to PW :)
    VR!

Advertisement