Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

automatic or manual?

Options
  • 24-06-2007 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hey! I'm just about to get my first car, and learn to drive.... my mother has been driving an automatic for a few years now and thinks I should get one.... but others tell me not to. confused! anyone got any advice for a first car??

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I recon ye should pick up a manual, if ye learn to drive on that you'll be able to drive either. If ye learn on the auto thats all you'd be able to drive.
    Also when ye get your full licence in an auto the licence will only apply to autos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

Im in the same position, Im thinking an auto, my parents havent had manuals in years. Auto cars are getting more and more common and you can find them cheap 2nd hand, Once your aware all you can drive is auto's if you do your test in one. Personally Im going for an auto for my frist car, and i dont care about that mark on my licence, theres no car I know of that id want that doesnt have an auto version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Manual. No question. If you learn in an auto then you will be resticted by your licence to them. This is a bit of a disadvantage in a country where most cars are manuals. I'm on my second car now, which is an auto, but I have passed my test on manual so I have no restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'd only go for a manual if I was getting a very good deal on it. Especially if you're only learning now, you should definitely go manual. It's harder to learn to drive, then learn all over again if you get a manual car. Much better to get the whole thing over with now, and learn stick. Also, if you get open drive, or will be driving other cars, they'll almost definitely be manual.

Even if you have to move a friend or family member's car ten feet to get your own out or anything, you won't be able to. It's definitely a skill you need today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Definately get a manual if you're learning to drive. If you pass your test in an auto you will be restricted to autos only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 daisyholeR

Im in the same position, Im thinking an auto, my parents havent had manuals in years. Auto cars are getting more and more common and you can find them cheap 2nd hand, Once your aware all you can drive is auto's if you do your test in one. Personally Im going for an auto for my frist car, and i dont care about that mark on my licence, theres no car I know of that id want that doesnt have an auto version.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm aware I will be restricted to only driving an automatic, my parent bel9ieve they are a godsend. I like the sound of not having to use a hand-brake on a hill and not cutting out! So maybe I'll have to stick with automatics in future... but so? They are available. I think to a certain extent it's the Irish mentality to drive manual. Look at the U.S for example?

[btw, I still haven't made up my mind, just trying to throw in a lil' balance)

Thanks for all replies!!

But I thoroughly recommend buying an auto if you're just a bad driver. One of my neighbours is a terrible one, and since he got an anuto he's cut down on his accidents fairly lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I say manual unless you are someone who gives up easy. At first you might find things like hill starts difficult in a manual. And be wishing you got a auto. But after a few weeks of learning you should find it easy.

So if you have any patiences at all go for a manual you never know when it will come in handy to be able to drive both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Get a manual.

Learn how to drive properly first, and you can get your automatics then.

They are not hard to drive.

I'm only learning to drive as well, and you'll get it down with a week of constant driving, bar the odd stall.

• Advertisement

Yeah I mean I would prefer to have the advantage of being able to drive both but I'm nervous that it'll take me ages to learn to drive confidently in a manual, and I'll be needing to drive to schoole, which is a 40 min car trip on a main road with fast speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

daisyholeR wrote:
    So maybe I'll have to stick with automatics in future... but so? They are available. I think to a certain extent it's the Irish mentality to drive manual. Look at the U.S for example?

I thought that it was a US mentality to drive an automatic and most of the rest of the world drove mainly automatics, I know that automatics are very much a minority choice in the UK and seem to be in Europe as well.

Of course, the car hire companies have plenty of automatics to cater for US visitors who can't drive a manual(stick shift).

It takes more work to pass your test in a manual, but its worth it, especially in a country with so few automatics. If buying a used car in the future, your choice could be limited if you can only drive an automatic, also are the maintainence costs higher and is the expected life of an automatic shorter than with a manual. I have been told that automatics are less fuel efficient than their manual equivalent, but I don't know if that is true. In any case, because automatics cost more to buy, they will also cost more to insure if you want comprehensive cover.

no worries, you'll find all your worries will fade away when you're behind the wheel actually doing it. And sixty is well manageable, no need to be intimidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

heyjude wrote:
    In any case, because automatics cost more to buy, they will also cost more to insure if you want comprehensive cover.

How do you figure that one? Thats like sayign if you go for leather seats your insurance will be dearer cos the car cost more.

wet-paint wrote:
    no worries, you'll find all your worries will fade away when you're behind the wheel actually doing it. And sixty is well manageable, no need to be intimidated.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Autos are handy, especially for city or heavy traffic driving but manuals aren't horrible. I did my test in a manual but my next car will probably be an automatic but I'm glad I learned in a manual.

I would at least get a few lessons in a manual car before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best thing to do is test drive a few cars with both transmissions and see which one you are more comfortable with. It is really down to personal choice.

But if I were you I would learn to drive in a manual for driving test purposes, then at least that way you can have the choice of driving either with your full license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bazz26 wrote:
    Best thing to do is test drive a few cars with both transmissions and see which one you are more comfortable with.

I'm driving about 5 months . The first car I drove was an automatic but shortly after drove a manual. As a total beginner I was much more comfortable in a auto but at this stage I much prefer the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm a fan of modern automatics. But I'd strongly recommend you to pass your driving test in a manual
    daisyholeR wrote:
    So maybe I'll have to stick with automatics in future... but so? They are available

There's more to it than you might take into account right now. How about rental cars on your holidays abroad? Being a named driver on your partner's car? Being able to drive any car in an emergency?

Sure it's a little bit harder to learn to drive a manual. But as soon as you pass your test, you'll have a choice for ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

My advice would be to give yourself the choice later on so get the manual. They are really not that more difficult to drive. The only real difference is an auto is a more lazy way to drive.
    Think of it like an electric carving knife & a plain old knife. Both get the job done but there's a bit more effort required with the traditional knife!!!

Being able to drive a manual will mean you will have more choice at crucial times like:

- Buying a car
    - Renting a car on holiday
    - Driving a pool car at work
    - Borrowing a friend's car or simply driving someone else's car when the need arises

Changing gear manually can be more fun but that in itself is not the make or break. Best of luck watever you decide to do. I have an auto & a manual, I like driving both, auto for the long journeys, manual for a bit of fun!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

daisyholeR wrote:
    my mother has been driving an automatic for a few years now and thinks I should get one....
    I don't know your personal circumstances daisyholeR but, if you are relatively young, bear in mind that the cubic capacity of the engines in automatic vehicles are generally much larger than the equivalent manual versions. This will lead to higher VRT, higher annual motor tax rates, higher running costs and possibly higher insurance premiums particularly for younger drivers. Your mother may not be aware of these differences. ;)
    heyjude wrote:
    I have been told that automatics are less fuel efficient than their manual equivalent, but I don't know if that is true
    Generally about 10% more than a manual equivalent.

I guess my main concern is my own ability to drive the 35km to school on the main Cork Rd. twice a day in a manual, most learner drivers don't have to do this kind of journey so often within their first few months, that's what led me to think of an auto for an option...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Are you planning to drive alone on your first provisional?
    I second what a lot of others have said;
    manual= you can drive ANY car
    automatic= you can ONLY drive automatics which is a huge restriction and you can never borrow anybody's car or take lessons at a school without stipulating that you can't drive stick-shift.

Yeah I'm gonna have to drive alone... my mam's just had a baby lol! So the whole point in me learning to drive was to have the independance of getting to school/ work etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd still recommend a manual. It takes a bit more practice, but it's by no means the toughest thing about learning to drive. Plus independance-wise, if you ever need to use someone else's car (a person from school/work) it'll almost definately be a manual. It sounds harsh but people sound so stupid (my opinion only!) when they say they can't drive a manual. You should try 2 or 3 lessons with a manual, then you'll know by then if you have the knack and can make a more informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Like most people i would go for the manual, i am learning to drive myself and in the beginning i had no choice but to go on the insurance of an auto for a couple of months, to "get experience" as my dad put it. But it was not a good choice for learning imho, it's like driving a go-kart, so you're easily distracted and there's little to think about. where as in a manual, which i'm driving at the moment, you're more focused on every aspect of driving, and plus you have the advantage of learning to deal with gears. I would steer well clear of Automatics when learning.
    Alan,

Advertisement