Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new build: Windows crashing under load

Options
  • 24-06-2007 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Ammm, well windows xp is having problems running and i need a little help.
    When I play most games it restarts after bout 20 mins, with a blue screen, and windows error reporting says that I had a stop error.

First time it said it didn't know how to fix it and that it maybe was a hardware error, then the second one said it was caused by a RAM error, it was unable to determine if it was a hardware or software issue, and that it normally is a hardware issue, so I ran windows memory diagnostic tool and there was no errors???? so that couldn't be it. Next time it happened I got the message: Windows stop error, unknown.

I ran hot Cpu tester pro and it ran no problem, 3DMark06 runs no problem but prime 95 won't run properly.

It isn't overclocked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Is the Ram compatiable with the striker? Theres been reviews and stuff saying theres memory issues with some ram?

Also anything about NV4 or something like that? (sorry I dont know what exactly it is)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭cianc1

DeafVision wrote:
    Is the Ram compatiable with the striker? Theres been reviews and stuff saying theres memory issues with some ram?

Also anything about NV4 or something like that? (sorry I dont know what exactly it is)

Have you links???

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

It's compatible allright...any other ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try downloading MEMtest this will determin if ur ram is stable.

• Advertisement

Ok so...i moved one of the ram into a different slot...and in windows memory diagnostic showed like a million errors??

awhir wrote:
    try downloading MEMtest this will determin if ur ram is stable.

Windows memory diagnostic is the same thing.

So what do i do if the memory tests fail??

Theoretically, replace the ram.

Just try the memtest anyway before deciding anything. Also, if possible, try some known good ram just to be sure that's the issue.

SwampThing wrote:
    Theoretically, replace the ram.

Just try the memtest anyway before deciding anything. Also, if possible, try some known good ram just to be sure that's the issue.

Don't have any ram to test it with, but thanks anways.

• Advertisement

Well, if the ram is new, compatible with the Striker but reporting faulty, can you RMA it?

SwampThing wrote:
    Well, if the ram is new, compatible with the Striker but reporting faulty, can you RMA it?

I dunno, i got it off komplett fully built, so i dunno how they process returns

I'd ask - either they take the memory or feck the entire rig back.

How long have you got the rig?

only 2 days!

Ok so it failed memtest86, does it mean it's definitely a ram hardware problem then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes probably...

The only other thing you can try is to turn off the auto SPD timings for the RAM in the bios and set them manually.

Use CPU-Z in Windows to get timings of modules then set manually in bios and slowly increase the timings e.g CAS = 5 change it to 6.

Then retest the system with Memtest+ and see if it passes or fails if it fails then RMA the RAM, if it passes then you got to decide if you want to keep the RAM but with slower timings.

8T8 wrote:
    Yes probably...

The only other thing you can try is to turn off the auto SPD timings for the RAM in the bios and set them manually.

Use CPU-Z in Windows to get timings of modules then set manually in bios and slowly increase the timings e.g CAS = 5 change it to 6.

Then retest the system with Memtest+ and see if it passes or fails if it fails then RMA the RAM, if it passes then you got to decide if you want to keep the RAM but with slower timings.

Thanks i'll try that now

It failed all the way up to CAS 7

RMA'd it just there with komplett.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Now, sit back and relax for a few weeks :(

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    Now, sit back and relax for a few weeks :(

That long??:eek:
    Any chance i'll get it in like 2 weeks??

I'm stuck with an iBook g4 at the moment

Advertisement