Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SPECS Speed Cameras

Options
  • 24-06-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Is ther a way to know if it was triggered when you pass one. Today up north i entered a 60mph zone @ 50mph and was at 50 for a while then brought it up to 60-65 on a dual carrage way for a fairly short time. I passed the next camera at about 58mph and noticed a little red circle light come on in the camera box. Then at the second one the 2 infra red boxes lit up. Does this mean i was recorded as being over the limit? Also it was strqng that there were 3 in a row... was between newry and tyhe dublin road (M1). And if so what can i expect as i didnt go over 65 in the zone? Sothern Reg. too btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing will happen. Relax.

(gets flameproof clothes before the pay up and take your medicine brigade arrive.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Not worried as such about the fine more interested in the red light as the infra red "flash" i saw is prob normal as it takes pick of every car and then decides on what to do from what ive seen.

I know i'm waiting to be attacked too :p (at least i left out the 80-90mph on the 60mph dual carrage ways :)). I love the going past ppl to have them pass you @ 100+ on the south side of the boarder ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

AFAIK all the SPECS cameras take pics of every vehicle, it's only when the time taken to reach the second camera is less than the allowed time are the pictures actioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Won't be points anyway so nothing to worry about. Just a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was there a speed limit posted on the dual carriageway? The default speed limit for a dual carriageway in the North is 70mph rather than 60mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yup was posted as 60 and GPS said it was 60 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I recall reading there was a major design flaw with these SPECS
    insofar that if you are in lane one for for the 1st camera and in lane two
    for the 2nd reading it does not work. So as long as you're in a different lane
    at the end than you were at the start you'll evade any penalty.

Sounds crazy and I'm sure they'll figure out a fix but I saw the story
    on several UK motoring fora and it was backed up by an article by some
    university boffin who had developed the software.

Edited to add: Google found this
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/16/uk-drivers-change-lanes-to-outsmart-specs-speeding-cameras/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Gran Hermano is correct regarding changing lanes. Though dont be surprised to see traffic cops in the same area as SPECS cameras.
    Someone cut the SPECS cameras down on hte southern side of Newry, but they replaced them after a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That bug would explain why most NI drivers that I see tend to ignore the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The article is actually incorrect. The cameras are perfectly capable of monitoring multiple lanes and can detect speeders regardless of lane changes.

The problem is that when the legislation was passed to allow for the use of the cameras they messed it up. If you have changed lane the system will know but the authorities cannot prosecute as the legislation only covers offenses where both pictures are taken in the same lane.

Funny old thing the law.

MrP

• Advertisement
Advertisement