Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told by a mod to "get a life".

Options
  • 24-06-2007 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Last time I posted here I was lambasted by a barrage of mods but here's hoping this will be a slightly better experience.

In the "Most Hated Forum" thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055110361, I was told to "get a life" by the user "Karoma".

The whole post is quoted below:
    Karoma wrote:
    And that's why I put the disclaimer in for the obvious tongue-in-cheek response. Christ, you people are either too uptight or desperate to catch a mod. out. It wouldn't have been a warning. I let crap like this slide all the time. Get a sense of humour or a life. If you have further feedback: PM me or take it to Feedback.

I had got that reply because of this one from me
    Nice save. Prob a warning for a non-mod though..

to this post my the same user
    Karoma wrote:
    STFU.

(Not directly aimed at you soley and stuff)

I then posted this
    Okay, I was probably wrong in that respect; but I do know that the term "get a life" has earned warnings/bans in the past.

and received this reply
    Karoma wrote:
    And everyone knows it's amusing when someone with a postcount in 000's it's a joke (One way or another). Move along. :)

Now to me, this is a ridiculous double-standard between those with sub-1000 posts (me) and those with more than 1000. I also fail to see how that is any legitimate defense for being told to "get a sense of humour or a life".

An apology would have been fine, but that ridiculous defense is what made me post here.

ish.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

*whoosh*

I refuse to apologise because that would suggest that offense was meant or even conceivable by any sane member of society. Seriously, are you trolling or do you have a complete inability to grasp obvious jokes?

The "And everyone knows it's amusing when someone with a postcount in 000's it's a joke" remark is not a serious 'zomg! you n00b's have n0 rights' "defense": it's a dig at myself & the others that have ever used it before - someone who has posted thousands of times on boards.ie forfeit the right to tell anyone to "get a life". Irony, my dear. Irony.
    ED: "Told by a mod to 'get a life'." <- you don't even see the funny side to this, do you?

Since you quoted arseways:
    The initial "offending post" in the "Most Hated Forums" thread in After Hours:
    Karoma wrote:
    $hifty wrote:
    But would YOU call with ATC when UTG if the TAG BB has CRAI with Ax?
    STFU.

(Not directly aimed at you soley and stuff)

I even made it painfully clear that it was indirect... and intended in a light-hearted manner... and... others got it and ... *boggle* Again, back to my first question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

You just have to learn that nothing that comes from Kar should be taken seriously. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I lol'd
    someone who has posted thousands of times on boards.ie forfeit the right to tell anyone to "get a life". Irony, my dear. Irony.

QFT - how you didnt get that .. i dunno :rolleyes:

Fight teh powah mood, i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds like good advice to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I read those indirect comments and I've decided they where directed at me. I demand karoma be stoned to death... Islamic style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

This one time at band camp.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The Muppet wrote:
    Sounds like good advise to me.

Maybe everyone with over 1000 posts should get a life :D

Boston wrote:
    I read those indirect comments and I've decided they where directed at me. I demand karoma be stoned to death... Islamic style.
    I'll agree to this, but only if the stoning is done by cats that have never sinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

I lol'd

QFT - how you didnt get that .. i dunno :rolleyes:

Fight teh powah mood, i guess?

I got that response last time; and in actual fact, it is rarely I see a complaint taken seriously, rather the replies are littered with cat pictures or a response similar to yours is posted.

Don't the admins realise that whether or not a complaint is legitimate or not, it is good practice to at least feign interest or concern?

Can you imagine calling up a customer care department and getting these kind of responses? Perhaps boards isn't on the same level of companies who use a call centre to deal with customer queries, but still, the users of this board are your customers and quite frankly, they get treated like sh*t a lot of the time.

I got that response last time; and in actual fact, it is rarely I see a complaint taken seriously, rather the replies are littered with cat pictures or a response similar to yours is posted.
    How odd. Want to link me to the previous complaint?

Don't the admins realise that whether or not a complaint is legitimate or not, it is good practice to at least feign interest or concern?
    There hasn't been a single admin response to this yet and you're whinging already that they're not taking it seriously..? That aside, you'd rather admins dishonestly feign interest in absurd cases? *boggle*
    Can you imagine calling up a customer care department and getting these kind of responses? Perhaps boards isn't on the same level of companies who use a call centre to deal with customer queries, but still, the users of this board are your customers and quite frankly, they get treated like sh*t a lot of the time.
    1. You are not a Boards.ie "customer".
    2. If you feel like you're being treated like ****: maybe it's not an attitude problem with everyone else, maybe it's a perception problem.

• Advertisement

Asok Customer Care

muppet: Hello, I appear to be incredibly dense
    Asok: Yea baby, what you wearing
    muppet: I'm a lady!!!
    Asok: You're a dirty dirty girl
    muppet: I shower regular, I assure you I'm clean
    Asok: You shower nakid, oh yea.
    muppet: ....
    Asok: Hey, you ever dressed up as a donkey while five midgets simulatiously made sweet furry love to you?
    Asok: Hello, you still there, hello...
    Muppet: *sound of crying* make the bad man stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Forecast:

Cat Pictures will be widespread across this thread this evening, with scattered owl pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I was reading that thread at the time and I had to log off and call the Samaritans after that comment from Karoma.
    I was heartbroken.

How can someone in such a position of authority take advantage of it like that?
    It's just not fair!!
    Rest assured OP, I've contacted the net-police and they're on the case!

internet_police.GIF

We *can* get through this together!
    Be strong my friend, be strong!

Boston wrote:
    Asok Customer Care

muppet: Hello, I appear to be incredibly dense
    Asok: Yea baby, what you wearing
    muppet: I'm a lady!!!
    Asok: You're a dirty dirty girl
    muppet: I shower regular, I assure you I'm clean
    Asok: You shower nakid, oh yea.
    Asok: Hey, you ever dressed up as a donkey while five midgets simulatiously made sweet furry love to you?
    Asok: Hello, you still there, hello...
    Muppet: *sound of crying* make the bad man stop.

That sounds incredibly like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

rmc0018l.jpg

Myth wrote:
    That sounds incredibly like this.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

112Get_A_Life.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

thats probably because most "Fight teh powah" threads are complete and utter stupidity, with some lame reasoning that only the OP can see.
    I think the admins have better things to be doing than watching a website all day for complaints, like par examplé, maybe having a life? Just because they're admins doesn't mean they're not people. They have to work/have a social life too.

Boards' users are not customers. They are users of a (privatly owned)service provided by boards.ie - boards.ie customers are ones who advertise on boards.ie - again a almost standard complaint in fight the powah threads - "I'm a customer here, YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME!! I PAY YOUR WAGES!!!"

lmao@asok cust. care

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

the users of this board are your customers and quite frankly, they get treated like sh*t a lot of the time

The problem is that most users get treated perfectly fine. They post, they keep within the rules an rarely, if ever, pop up on the muppet radar.

Then you get the few who do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Get a life tbh.

All of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I read this forum quite a lot but rarely post here. Couldn't resist this one though. Possibly one of the most ridiculous complaints I've seen.

OP, If that honestly offended you, disconnect from the internet and never log back on. in actual fact, take a hammer to your PC. Your sensibilities are not fit for these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Ah now the degree to which you have a life should be determined by your posts per day, I've been here 6 years, I'm entitled to have over 1000 posts without being heckled by you hecklers.

The thread title is brilliant though, *applause*!

Posts per day FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

See what ever your complaint I really don't care after reading that statement
    because you have made a very fundamental error.

Boards.ie is a private site upon which you have been graciously permitted to post after agreeing to the terms and conditions laid down by the site owners.

You are not a customer.
    You have no rights or entitlements.
    The smods and the admins can decide they don't want you posting any more
    and your account will be banned.

Clearly you should not be post in the AH forum if you are so sensitive or for that matter the rest of the site, unfortunately no one at boards,ie can as of yet ban you from the inter net unless you screw up badly and they ask your ISP to cut you off as you have broke their terms and conditions ( this has happened ).

Really you have to learn that mods are people too and some of them are like Karoma can be on ocassion pricks but is it no like he told you to suck his cock.

KarlHungus: I have a life, I stole it off a small child when he wasn't looking, now it lives under my bed.

o1s1n wrote:
    I read this forum quite a lot but rarely post here. Couldn't resist this one though. Possibly one of the most ridiculous complaints I've seen.

OP, If that honestly offended you, disconnect from the internet and never log back on. in actual fact, take a hammer to your PC. Your sensibilities are not fit for these parts.

That may be ineffective. I suggest turning on the computer, then throwing it into a bath of water, then getting into said bath. That should solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Boston wrote:
    That may be ineffective. I suggest turning on the computer, then throwing it into a bath of water, then getting into said bath. That should solve the problem.

Best advice in this thread yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Boston wrote:
    KarlHungus: I have a life, I stole it off a small child when he wasn't looking, now it lives under my bed.

I tried to act as courteous as I could..but what the hell... electricity bath +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

whinge
    whine
    waahh

Suck it up, princess.

What would you do if someone told you to get a life in real life? Complain to their mammy?
    Complain to your mammy maybe?

If someone telling you to 'get a life' is a serious enough affliction to write a 500-word essay on the subject, you must have things pretty comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OP, imagine this scenario:

You're in a pub, on your way to the bar/jacks when you pass by a table and overhear one guy saying to another "up yours", to which the other replies "Shut the **** up", which is then met by howls of laughter around the table.

What do you do/say?

A [I am a complete muppet] "You shouldn't be using that kind of language in the pub"

B [Only a little muppet] "tsk, tsk" while rolling your eyes.

C [normal person] " "

If you picked A would you be surprised if someone at the table told you to "get a f***ing life"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Boston wrote:
    but was the halibut good enough for jehovah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

jhegarty wrote:
    Maybe everyone with over 1000 posts should get a life :D

Yeah! exactly. Aagh, I'm on 997 :eek:

Advertisement