Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aftermarket Seats

Options
  • 24-06-2007 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I was posting here in the last few days about replacement seats for my Landcruiser. I priced getting them reconditioned in Leather and it came to €1100. I have since found that I can get new full leather Köning seats for that money with subframes to suit the Landcruiser. Suddenly the retrim doesn't look as attractive. Except the door cards won't match, but I presume someone like Carcraft would be able to help me out there.

There are cheaper aftermarket seats around, but I'm not sure of the quality. Also König have the most comprehensive collection of subframes and fitting a cheaper seat will mean fitting the universal subframes which will bump up the cost. Initially I had been looking at Cobra Le Mans seats. These would come in about €700 without fitting.

The other option is to buy from a breakers which would be cheaper but the seats will not be new. I was offered a full interior for £400STG. I would have to get it delivered from the UK though. Probably work out at €700 total.

I'm a bit torn between my options now. I have a few bob to spend but don't want to be too extravagant on the car. I bought new alloys for the Passat and then sold it within 9 months without recouping the investment. I'm planning on keeping the Landcruiser for a few years though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Speaking of, where can one get a full leather seats set in ireland/the interwebs.... Or is there somehwere that can re-upholster them in cork? (sorry for hijacking the thread :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

DJ Hafez wrote:
    Speaking of, where can one get a full leather seats set in ireland/the interwebs.... Or is there somehwere that can re-upholster them in cork? (sorry for hijacking the thread :P )
    I'm an expert on where to get them at this stage. :D

E-bay or breakers or aftermarkets. Not sure about reupholstering in Cork.

What car is it for?

Mk4 VW Golf, would love r32 seats, but that aint gona happen... so any other leather ones would be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

For re-upholstering in Cork, try Fibrenew.

ned78 wrote:
    For re-upholstering in Cork, try Fibrenew.

Heard that name before. They're in Douglas somewhere right? Also, any idea on prices for re-upholstering? I presume about 1000?

• Advertisement

DJ Hafez wrote:
    Mk4 VW Golf, would love r32 seats, but that aint gona happen... so any other leather ones would be nice :D
    Saw some R32 seats on eBay.de for less than you're talking for the reupholstered. Problem is getting them to deliver to Ireland.

DJ Hafez wrote:
    Heard that name before. They're in Douglas somewhere right? Also, any idea on prices for re-upholstering? I presume about 1000?

He's mobile, works with most of the Dealerships in Cork in renewing leather, tears in cloth, damage to dashboard plastics/vinyl, but I've no idea on a leather re-trim price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If it was me I'd go with the 2nd Hand OEM Leather seats for the €700 delivered. The installation should be straight forward as they have come from a Landcruiser. It will probably look better in a few years time than custom seats too.
    However if you plan to re-install the origianls then maybe the custom seats are the way to go. They will probably be more comfortable than the originals too.

Ned, does yer man Fibrenew have access to all the right cloths & materials? Woudl he be able to match up a BMW cloth interior, my sisiter has a Compact with a tear in the seat base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Like I posted before 'cruiser seats are probably the weakest thing in the vehicle.
    I would given the option dump the stock seats and get ones with a whole new subframe.
    I bet you will find that the seats are starting to crack if you take them in to be reupholstered.
    Think how much hassle it would be if you took them in to be redone and the upholsterer rang and said that they were starting to break up?

Ned, does yer man Fibrenew have access to all the right cloths & materials? Woudl he be able to match up a BMW cloth interior, my sisiter has a Compact with a tear in the seat base.

He sure does, the work he does is incredible. He's doing my girlfriend's new MINI Cabrio this month for me. His name is Pat, and his number is 087 9131298

TBH I'm looking for Recliners rather than Buckets. The Koning bucket seats do have a 15 degree adjustment in the back though. Not sure how useful that would be.

The latest from my breaker in London is £340 STG for Front seats, rear seats and door cards. I have no need for rear seats so that is a bit of a waste.

I had a recliner from them a few years back, it had an inflatable lumbar cushion and was very comfy.
    They should still be able to get the reclining models, I think that OMP do more than what is shown.

What's the story with subframes though? It sounds like a nightmare job to fit the universal sub-frames and only Koning make the custom made ones for the Landcruiser.

Advertisement