Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fashion advice desperately needed!

• 24-06-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

My whole life, when going out somewhere for the evening, I have always dressed 80's glam metal style, leopardprint, cowboy boots, leggings, etc. In my spare time just bumming around I wear tracksuit bottoms, t shirts and trainers. However, coming up to my 24th birthday, I'm getting too old for this and now I want to dress more classy. (I'm female by the way.)

However, I have NO idea about fashion at all. I want to look understatedly sexy, yet classy and not slutty. I am about 5ft 6, and I'm slim and toned, and now I want to start making the most of it. I just don't know where to start though. I have no idea what clothes or shoes to even start looking at.

I have no idea about make up either. I have acne and need to wear makeup, but when it comes to eyeliner, eyshadow, etc, I have no idea and usually go for the rock-chick look which I don't think is appropriate any more.

Any suggestions about where I can start with changing my whole look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misssouthside

First of all, check out sites like fashion.about.com and beauty.about.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

I'm totally biased as I work with Topshop, but they have a rather cool style advisor service. Basically one of the (lovely) girls has a quick chat with you about what you're looking for and then looks around the shop, either with you or without you, and finds things you can try while you chill in the private fitting rooms with free magazines, sweets & water! They don't get commision and you don't have to buy so it's agood way to get unbiased advice plus the girls are so nice it could be worth a try.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

My whole life, when going out somewhere for the evening, I have always dressed 80's glam metal style, leopardprint, cowboy boots, leggings, etc. In my spare time just bumming around I wear tracksuit bottoms, t shirts and trainers. However, coming up to my 24th birthday, I'm getting too old for this and now I want to dress more classy. (I'm female by the way.)

Holy crap, you sound perfect as it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

What a nice thing to say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Thank you! I will stick with the glam metal look for festivals of course, but now that I'm not a teenager any more, my dress sense (or lack of) is attracting rude comments and it's just not flattering to someone past their teens. Plus I want to get a job as a teacher in 2 years time and need some sensible clothes (I don't have anything sensible right now) to get taken seriously.

• Advertisement

btw, I don't want to follow some weird trend either. I want something a bit more classic (though not frumpy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Just wear everything you wear now, but with a tshirt saying "Glam Sucks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

hi, for clothes id suggest go somewhere like topshop or debenhams and avail of the personal stylist service they will get you trying on all sorts of things to find your style.
    For makeup head to the benefit counter. I used to be brutal at doing my eyes but they have this thing called 'big beautiful eyes' its idiot proof guide to putting it on and looks amazing and the girls there are lovely they gave me a free make up lesson last time I went in

For makeup head to the benefit counter.
    Is benefit a brand? I've never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yup its fabulous. They also have a lovely product called 'some kinda gorgus' its like a blendable foundation compact gives a nice light coverage great if you dont usually wear make up. Theres a benefit stall in dundrum, one in boots in liffey valley and one in whitewater in newbridge or you can see there products at www.hqhair.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Is benefit a brand? I've never heard of it.

Yeh. It's sold in Arnotts, Cleary's and Brown Thomas.

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/home.html

Advertisement