Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power steering in a Polo!! Any mechanics please look

Options
  • 24-06-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Right here's the story...
    My brother has a 99 VW polo and is soon to be selling it... Now i would buy it only for one thing... it doesn't have power steering. Now i know loads of polo's in it's era have power steering.. I was wondering if it was a big job, or possible at all to take power steering from one (scrap yard maybe?) and put it into his. I've a vast knowledge for cars until it comes to the bigger mechanical parts.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Forget about it. Much easier and cheaper to buy a Polo with power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

crosstownk wrote:
    Forget about it. Much easier and cheaper to buy a Polo with power steering.

I know but it's fair hard to find them... I don't want to buy a Corsa... But there seems to be alot more of them around... It would be handy to do this... Is it possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know but it's fair hard to find them... I don't want to buy a Corsa... But there seems to be alot more of them around... It would be handy to do this... Is it possible??

It most likely is possible but it would cost a small fortune and you will not get it back when you go to sell the car on. Best chance of finding a Polo with power steering is either look for a 1.4 litre, look for a UK import or try and get a 2000 onwards facelifted model.

Oh it's possible - but so much hassle - power steering rack, all hydraulic hoses, power steering pump, pump mounting brackets, fluid resevoir and a host of other brackets.

IIRC, the 99 Polo had two different engine types one came with PAS the other didn't. If this is the case, there may not be anywhere to mount the pump which means you will have to have one made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

It baffles me why anyone would want power steering on a polo anyway. You don't need it, the steering is light and doesn't require effort. Power steering would literally be of no benefit in such as small car.

Seriously, I own one.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote:
    It baffles me why anyone would want power steering on a polo anyway. You don't need it, the steering is light and doesn't require effort. Power steering would literally be of no benefit in such as small car.

Seriously, I own one.

Tryin to turn that Polo in small spaces is an absolute killer. In work i drive cars/jeeps, like Range rovers and mercs and ****. Maybe it's because i have teased myself but the steering in that polo is a killer. No, i just thought there would be an easy solution but obviously not... I'll just have to buy a different one with PAS

Power steering would be a benefit - no doubt. Especially when it comes to selling the car on. But in reality, PAS on a Polo is not really necessary. Yes it's heaver than non-assisted models, but it's not difficult to manage. I had a 1989 Passat 1.6 with no PAS - now that was a pain in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I know but it's fair hard to find them... I don't want to buy a Corsa...
    Get a Fiesta so! :)
    It won't be hard at all finding a '99 with power steering, plus airbags were standard since 1994 (I find it shocking that Polos still didn't have them by '99 FFS). Sunroofs are pretty common too.

Ah thanks for the thought but i'll never set foot in a fiesta haha... there's just something about them...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Just look for a Polo Saloon, they have had PAS long before it ever appeared on the Hatchback, because they were all 1.4 litre minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hard to believe that in 1999 some VWs still didn't have power steering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

We have a 96 polo 1.4 with power steering , that baby has been a work horse for a while , towing boats trailers you name it , its a hatchback BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's possible, I know of people who have done it to Ibizas and Polos, it involves swapping the steering rack from another car, hardly worth it on a car as old as yours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't want to buy a Corsa... But there seems to be alot more of them around...

(NOT AN AD)
    I'm toying with selling mine and getting something bigger. Nothing wrong wit Corsas and I'm in Limerick if you lose interest in the Polos. It has PAS as well as a lot more than even many 00-05 Polos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

put power steering in My Dad's '90 jetta for him - took a few hours and made a lot of difference:D
    Maybe Polo is different somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ah thanks for the thought but i'll never set foot in a fiesta haha... there's just something about them...:)

The badge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

A 1.25 Fiesta can actually move too, unlike a 1.0 Polo! And for added value it can take corners!

Advertisement