Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spped camera hand held by garda question

Options
  • 24-06-2007 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

How near do you have to be to get caught

i was travelling down the Chapelizod bypass today and it had just been downpouring rain,
    i was doing about 65km im not sure what speed was but there was a 60 km after the garda with the camera but i was a good 120 meters away i was in front of a lot pf traffic but we were moving and just want to know where is he fixing the camera on when there is a lot of traffic coming towards him cause as i passed him he had put the camera down and was just looking at traffic

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Firstly, the by-pass is 80Kph, until the 60 sign (probs after where the garda was, assuming it was the usual place underneath the foot bridge).

Secondly, only camera's can send out delayed fines/points. A garda HAS to either stop you there and then or come after you.

You should be fine. Im also surprised that they were there during the rain. Not very safe for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

i didnt know they came after you i presumed they just sent it in the post ????

The reason they have to is because the handheld units dont take a photo. It would be extremley hard to prosecute you after the fact. Unless it was one of the rare cars with cameras (think theres 2 operating in louth???), you will be fine (No pun intended!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

antodeco wrote:
    Secondly, only camera's can send out delayed fines/points. A garda HAS to either stop you there and then or come after you.

Are you sure about that? I saw gardaí posted on a bridge over the Blanchardstown bypass before holding a speed camera that was pointed at and flashing traffic below. There was no way they could have pulled/chased speeding traffic so they had to have been sending out fines and points in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Stark wrote:
    Are you sure about that? I saw gardaí posted on a bridge over the Blanchardstown bypass before holding a speed camera that was pointed at and flashing traffic below. There was no way they could have pulled/chased speeding traffic so they had to have been sending out fines and points in the post.

was the camera on a tri pod by any chance? these cameras can print out a picture and speed of the car and it will be sent in the post, the hand held ones cant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I too was under the impression that 'Health & Safety' factors curtailed
    road-side speed checks in the rain due to the danger of speeding
    motorists braking dangerously on slippy roads. Maybe the shooting
    'bog-ball' tourists in a barrel on their way to Croke park factor was too
    much to resist. :)

draffodx wrote:
    was the camera on a tri pod by any chance? these cameras can print out a picture and speed of the car and it will be sent in the post, the hand held ones cant

Not sure. There was a Garda standing behind it operating it anyway and a Garda to his right writing in a notebook. Was travelling towards it myself at the time so didn't get too good a look. It probably was mounted on a tripod.

Ah they must have gotten them for the westies now too :D

If its on a tripod, and obviously a camera, thats a different story. As I said, based on OP's post, its a handheld unit, so they cant send fines out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anybody seen what looks like a fake speed camera on the Mulhuddart turn-off on the N3 southbound?
    I'll try and get a pic during the week.

It could be a traffic camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

The Gardaí are famous for that spot on the Chap bypass.

Its 80 kph so you will be fine (Again no pun intended). Sunday evening they are always there.

I always wonder how many lives they have saved over the years.

I will take a stab at it 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

it may have been ona tripod, but i wasnt doing 80 but i did see the 60 km straight after i passed them but my real question was if there are a lot of cars coming at once and close together when does the camera catch u is it the frint car at any one time ???

Any car that's speeding can be caught by the camera, not just the first car in a line of cars. (Although in practice, not everyone gets caught as there's a certain amount of unasable photographs).

As previous posters said, you were probably fine. Any time I've seen the gardaí out, it's been in the 80km/hr section shortly before the traffic lights where the limit changes to 60km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

ongarite wrote:
    Anybody seen what looks like a fake speed camera on the Mulhuddart turn-off on the N3 southbound?
    I'll try and get a pic during the week.

yeah it looks like some hi tech bird house! But I reckon it's an IR security thing for the wall cos there's probably gonna be apartments built there at some stage.

And while we're on the N3, they've reduced the speed limit on the stretch between the Halfway House and the Little Chef to 50km/h!!. There was a gatso van there Saturday and he must have caught loads of people cos you've just come from the Navan Road being stopped at every light and it's just natural to stick your foot down. I only just noticed it in time and so did the car next to me. We were at the front of all these cars doing this measly 50km/h and cars were flashing and all behind us wondering what are these two fools up to. Beware!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

faolteam wrote:
    it may have been ona tripod, but i wasnt doing 80 but i did see the 60 km straight after i passed them but my real question was if there are a lot of cars coming at once and close together when does the camera catch u is it the frint car at any one time ???

With the old radar speed guns only the 1st car could get caught as the radar has a very wide beam. But with the new laser speed guns they can catch everyone, as said, as their beam is much tighter. Only way to avoid getting done is to tailgate or not speed, and the 1st option is very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Del2005 wrote:
    With the old radar speed guns only the 1st car could get caught as the radar has a very wide beam. But with the new laser speed guns they can catch everyone, as said, as their beam is much tighter. Only way to avoid getting done is to tailgate or not speed, and the 1st option is very dangerous.

Tailgate????! All the laser needs is a piece of metal anywhere on the car to get a speed reading. If they can't snap your reg coming at them, they'll snap it after you pass. You have a reg plate on both ends y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

maoleary wrote:
    Tailgate????! All the laser needs is a piece of metal anywhere on the car to get a speed reading. If they can't snap your reg coming at them, they'll snap it after you pass. You have a reg plate on both ends y'know.

The OP was asking about when in a line of traffic. I also said not to speed, should have placed a ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Stark wrote:
    Not sure. There was a Garda standing behind it operating it anyway and a Garda to his right writing in a notebook. Was travelling towards it myself at the time so didn't get too good a look. It probably was mounted on a tripod.
    How long does it take for them to post out the fines I was coming off the M1 at whitehall and they were standing on the bridge at whitehall adn there was 2 cops with a tripod I was doing about 65 in a 60 zone but have not seen a ticket yet. Anybody know how long the cops take to sedn out tickets or am I in the clear? This was about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well is anybody anble to answer me? I am a bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jjbrien wrote:
    Well is anybody anble to answer me? I am a bit worried.

took about 4 months for me to get the fine and about another 3 or 4 months before i got the points

if you were only 5km/h over the limit i woldnt be overly worried though

• Advertisement
Advertisement