Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Creaking noise from Megane

Options
  • 24-06-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The wifes Megane has developed a creaking sound at low speeds, going over bumps or turning the wheel causes a creaking sound. I have tried to listen for it under the hood but cant hear it, it can be heard quite clearly from inside the car. Its a '02 Megane II with 32K. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

xabi wrote:
    Hi all,

The wifes Megane has developed a creaking sound at low speeds, going over bumps or turning the wheel causes a creaking sound. I have tried to listen for it under the hood but cant hear it, it can be heard quite clearly from inside the car. Its a '02 Megane II with 32K. Any ideas?

Pretty hard to trouble shoot this problem without hearing it. Which side of the car is it coming from? Left or right, front or back? Does it only happen when the car is moving? I probably would start by checking suspension components, could be a worn shock absorber or spring. Note this is only a guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You probably just need to lubricate the suspension bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

bazz26 wrote:
    Pretty hard to trouble shoot this problem without hearing it. Which side of the car is it coming from? Left or right, front or back? Does it only happen when the car is moving? I probably would start by checking suspension components, could be a worn shock absorber or spring. Note this is only a guess though.

Its comming from the front in general, not right or left, it happens whe the car is moving and if your turn the wheel while stationary. Would i not hear the sound from under the bonnet more clearly than in the car if it was bushes.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

With the bonnet open, the noise may not be audible due to engine noise drowning it out.

It could be several things really. One thing I have experienced on a megane is a strut top mount that caused a "boinging" noise when the wheel was turned. So maybe mention this to your mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Have you tried bouncing the suspension up and down.

I have had a similar problem, very creaky noise, but goes away when it rains or the the suspension is lubricated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

it happens at low speeds!
    I get a noise coming from the ABS in my primera at low speeds (5-10kph). chipped ABS rings at the CV joints is the problem. Could be a cause! But then Primera have very loud ABS and don't know how it is in Megane. you not be able to hear it in the cabin.

Advertisement