Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any Help please

Options
  • 24-06-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi i bought my fisr car and i asked the person i boguth the car off the usala Q's i asked was it burning oil he said it wasnt i asked if it was leaking water in saide as it happens sometimes on the car modle i was looking at he said no and some other stuff to so i took is for a test drive and it seemed ok but it was hard to start he said it hadentt been used for a few weeks. and he said the car ran perfect.

so i bougth it and to and on the way home after about 2hours of driving it didnt seem right so the next day i had a look in side to find it was leaking water.thought ok its only a small thing.

then went to a garage for a servie to see y it wasnt starting ever time he said it was the trittle body that some one tryed to fix it them selfs he sould me what they did and i said ok how mush will it cost he said he would have a bettr look and tell me the price the day after.

so he range and told me that after haveing a better look that there was much more wrong with it that it would cost a minmum of €500 and it could cost more as he would have to take off the head to look at it and said i might end up needing a new engine

is there any thing i can do i told the person i bought it of and he sad you bought it its not my problem can any one help me thanks:(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm presuming you bought the car privately? If so, I think you're on your own with this. Caveat Emptor and all that.

What kind of car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

[QUOTE

is there any thing i can do i told the person i bought it of and he sad you bought it its not my problem can any one help me thanks:([/QUOTE]

I think this sentence says it all. Sorry OP but you really were a bit naive. If you don't know about cars then bring someone who does, or arrange for the seller to bring it to a garage (at your expense). If he doesn't want to do this then walk away. Not much comfort I know but you'll know next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDMC

a right so are your sure that there is noting i can at all thanks agin

@byte its a mazda mx3 jap import

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland
    Vehicles are often advertised by private individuals on the internet and in the ‘small ads’ section of newspapers. If you buy a car from a small advertisement or on the internet from a private individual you are generally not buying from a person whose normal business it is to sell cars (although sometimes used car dealers do advertise in this way). Again in this case you have very little legal protection if you find that the car that you have bought is faulty. Your only right to redress is if the car is sold with a defect that would endanger people driving it. It is important that in this situation you protect yourself from unscrupulous people. It may be worthwhile to employ the services of a trusted mechanic who may be able to advise you on the mechanical state of the car.
    So it seems you're fairly screwed. Unless the problems make the car un-roadworthy from a safety point of view. Might be worth your while talking to a solicitor anyway, there may be something you can do and a solicitors letter might get you a refund. Weigh up the cost of a solicitor Vs the cost of getting all the repairs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JDMC

thanks. ya its not safe to drive th car as it can cut out in low revs as in going around a corner and you lose the power stearing

• Advertisement
Advertisement