Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinted windows and smoked lenses?

Options
  • 24-06-2007 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas how to represent the above?
    My initial idea is to actually smoke them, hold them over a candle to blacken the clear plastic...but it might come out a bit streaky and possibly melt the parts!
    Any other solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

PS-31 Polycarbonate Smoke Spray

tam86031.jpg

Call into the guys in Greene Model and Hobby and ask for a can of the above :cool:

Dont use a candle or anything. you will melt the shell. :eek:

** EDIT **
    Just noticed you are in Galway

Give the guys in Modelworld a call.
    Modelworld
    14g Liosban Bus. Park
    Tuam Rd
    Galway City
    Telephone +353 (0)91 765655

They should have something for you. Failing that try Modelsportuk ;)

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Sorry, I should have said it's for a polystyrene static kit.
    It's a 1/24 Revell Mk2 Golf that I want to customise.
    Will that stuff still work?

ah,
    Not certain about that. I never painted polystyrene.

I think Coolwings might be able to answer that better than I .

Cant see what it wouldnt work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

The above stuff is on the right track alright...
    I use the tamiya "clear" paints. You can get these types of paints in many ranges, not just tamiya.
    the codes are for the tamiya acrylic 10ml jars:
    x-27 "clear red"
    x-26 "clear orange"
    x-25 "clear green"
    x-24 "clear yellow"
    x-22 "clear blue"
    x-19 "smoke" (clear black!)
    I would use these with an airbrush and its important to use the correct tamiya thinner with the clear colours.
    if you dont have an airbrush you can get spray cans, but you would want to be pretty careful, cos there is less control and you may end up over doing it and the paint may run and look streaky.These are laquers, not acrylics and are fine on any models
    ts-74 "clear red"
    ts-73 "clear orange"
    ts-72 "clear blue"
    ts-71 "Smoke" (clear black)
    Now...WHAT EVER YOU DO... DO NOT USE THE PS SPRAY ABOVE
    sorry vectra, but it will melt the plastic..... :)

The Doktor wrote:
    WHAT EVER YOU DO... DO NOT USE THE PS SPRAY ABOVE
    sorry vectra, but it will melt the plastic..... :)

No worries.
    Like I said.. I never painted that stuff before. :D

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    No worries.
    Like I said.. I never painted that stuff before. :D

I know this, cause I have a few of the polycarb paints in my collection...
    one day i picked one out by mistake (cos the jars are very similar)....anyways... it says dont use it on plastic models..DOH! :mad: :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Joe,

Personally i wouldnt use the Tamiya X-19 simply beacuse its going to be hard to get an even coat on the inside of the wondows plus i dont think it looks to realistic especially if you are looking for a light tint. Try it if u have an airbrush on a scrap wind screen or clear plastic.

Try finding some other thin tinted/smoked plastic like that from a discarded roll of photograph film and fashion windows from it. This way u can get different tints from different plastics!!

Just my opinion from what I have read and heard about using X-19 as a way of smoking windows!!

Ciaran

Ciaran_Dub wrote:
    Joe,

Personally i wouldnt use the Tamiya X-19 simply beacuse its going to be hard to get an even coat on the inside of the wondows plus i dont think it looks to realistic especially if you are looking for a light tint. Try it if u have an airbrush on a scrap wind screen or clear plastic.

Try finding some other thin tinted/smoked plastic like that from a discarded roll of photograph film and fashion windows from it. This way u can get different tints from different plastics!!

Just my opinion from what I have read and heard about using X-19 as a way of smoking windows!!

Ciaran

Id have to disagree. Ive done it many times, and it does look realistic if done right.
    You just need to take your time and dont rush. If the paint is thinned, you can slowly build up the level of tint.
    And if it doesnt look too shiny when you have painted it, just dip it in johnson Klear and it will be nice and shiny again.
    Slowly building up the layers is the trick, and not allowing the paint to run or build up in one area.
    I dont have any pictures to hand, but I have attached one where the base coat is silver and Clear orange is painted over it... there are about 10 light coats of clear orange over the silver....now tell me its not even:D
    CB750%201.jpg
    If I have time tonight I`ll do it on a peice of scrap and ya can see what i mean.

Wasnt trying to contradict you Doktor your models are fantastic and you are talented no doubt. I just know from my own experience of Auto modelling it is an age old question how to tint windows to make them look realistic and i know many experienced Auto modellers dont recommend the paint option.

Yes with clear red and oranges the layering technique is just the same as with any paint process but i figure (and I could be wrong) but the more layers of 'smoke' that are put on the darker the tint which may not be the desired effect!

Oh and that is why i also suggest to the OP using a scp windscreen or piece of clear that they can see the results of rthemselves before running a good wind screen that will be hard to replace!

Ciaran

Ciaran_Dub wrote:
    Yes with clear red and oranges the layering technique is just the same as with any paint process but i figure (and I could be wrong) but the more layers of 'smoke' that are put on the darker the tint which may not be the desired effect!

Ciaran

Yeah the more layers you put on, the darker it gets... but thats why you thin it, and when you put the first layer of smoke on, you would barely see it..
    Also if you want it even lighter, mix it with clear paint.
    Ill try and show later on if i get the chance.. i was out in the workshop and i have plenty of scrap to try it on

• Advertisement

Ok here yas go...
    First the unpainted screen.. the rear one from a corolla...
    1.jpg
    before i started ya gotta be sure its clean!!!
    then one coat of smoke, and you get a real light tint
    2.jpg
    now, note, its a little cloudy, but ill come to this later.
    here is a few more coats so its more visable
    4.jpg
    and another few...
    5.jpg
    then another coat, but this time i added a drip of gloss black to the smoke, to speed up the process
    6.jpg
    ... see next post...

ok... here is another 2 coats, to give a nice boyracer tint:D
    7.jpg
    now, the pics arent the best as I have an old cam... but ya can see its an even coat, but you can also see that its still a little frosted lookins, specially if you look at the reflection in the bottom left of the screen...
    now, dip the whole thing in Johnsons Klear (floor polish that ya get in tescos...)
    9.jpg

If I had more time, I would have rubbed it in between each coat with 12000 micromesh.. or atleast let each coat dry totally, and wiped it clean with a tack cloth... but ya get the idea...
    and if ya want it darker, just keep layering the paint on...
    at any point that you are happy with the darkness of the tint, just dip it in klear and it will come out nice and shiny.

from what i can see of the pics i stand corrected!

Joe one thing Doktor already said it try it on scrap plastic first cause honestly u screw up the windshield u will need to fashion a new one because sourcing one will b difficult.

Ciaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Thanks for that Doktor!

Ciaran_Dub wrote:
    from what i can see of the pics i stand corrected!

Joe one thing Doktor already said it try it on scrap plastic first cause honestly u screw up the windshield u will need to fashion a new one because sourcing one will b difficult.

Ciaran

lol.. ye see the thing is, somthing i failed to mention above....
    the first time i did it i made a mess of it!!!!!:D
    but that was because I used an old scrap that was dirty and I didnt clean it properly, so the paint builds up around the dust.
    Practise it a few times! If you can get some clear plasticard use it. Its only cheap, and you can get the hang of it with that.

Advertisement