Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get dreadlocks?

• 24-06-2007 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Been wantin' to get them for ages but i havent got a clue if there's any places in dublin that'll do 'em without all my hair falling out. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Along Parnell street, any of the afro caribbean type places would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 leebyrne

Any idea how much it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misssouthside

leebyrne wrote:
    Been wantin' to get them for ages but i havent got a clue if there's any places in dublin that'll do 'em without all my hair falling out. Any suggestions?
    I don't think dreadlocks make your hair fall out. Are you thinking of cornrows?

Cornrows? **** that. No, no, its just a term. i dont want to go to a cowboy and get me hair all ****ed up.

Sangre wrote:
    Most people grow their own dreadlocks.
    I know, but its too much effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

oh, and i have long hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You can order a package of wax, rubber bands, locking accelerator, a comb, a supply of dread shampoo etc. all online, I forget the site now though.

Buy all that and then get a friend or two over to do it. I did my friend's hair and I have no experience whatsoever(and it worked out great). It's much easier than you'd think. Took about 6/7 hours though. Buy them pizza ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sangre wrote:

Thats what I thought.

Are you thinking of plaits OP?

How does one grow their own dreadlocks? Surely you have to have it sectioned and backcombed?

• Advertisement

I always assumed it was a gradual process and that the 'neglect' way was how you did it. :)

....Check out this OP

lol, it's possible I guess(and only really for people with fairly curly hair), but that results in uneven and dirty dreads.

Check out http://www.dreadheadhq.com/ OP, you can get all the products you need there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Any of the ethnic hairdressing shops on Moore/Dorset Street do them.. My friend was thinking of getting it done a few years back (till someone commented that she'd look like the Predator with them.. so that was the end of that).. But I'm pretty sure they do them.. Bit pricey though afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

What does "growing your own dreadlocks" involve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

DIY. Last summer my hair was 1/2 way down my back, and i was going to shave it, but i decided to do dreadlocks before i shaved so i could say i had them.. Priced em up in town, anywhere thats 'reputable' will charge 300-400 (no lies, i priced loads of places).

Best bet is to ask people you see with them and if they did their own, ask them if they want to make a few quid doing yours. Thats what one of my mate did, his payment was getting the chap stoned.

Other than that, ask any of your mates if they know anyone.. i was going to get my mate to do mine when i found out he knew how to do em, but the whole wanting to get them done thing passed.

you can get weekend dreds, its a special wax that washes out after 3/4 days. And as posted before, there are alot of african salons that will do it... and do it REAL good, real cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What does "growing your own dreadlocks" involve?

getting them put in very early, so theres minimal work done, then the way the hair is matted and backcombed means the hair will grow into a knott, making the dreds longer. they keep growing that way, but it looks scruffy... more so..

Ah I see.

Tbh, it's not all that much work to put them in longer hair. My friend has LONG hair and it took my friend and I about 7 hours to do it, but it was easy after your first 2/3(ie. no experience required) and it was a laugh.

red_ice wrote:
    getting them put in very early, so theres minimal work done, then the way the hair is matted and backcombed means the hair will grow into a knott, making the dreds longer. they keep growing that way, but it looks scruffy... more so..

Can you wash them? Wouldn't they stink a bit?

Lol, read the "myths" section of the site you posted a link to.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Lol, read the "myths" section of the site you posted a link to.

'Fact and rumours' ;)

Didn't read that far...!

Thanks for all the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Neglect dreads look crap. Simple as. I have long hair myself and toyed with the idea a few times. Finally decided against it though. I get enough discrimination as it is being an art student with long hair. Dreads would just be the final nail in my coffin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dreads can be a lot of maintenance. To look decent they can be anyway. It looks disgusting when they are not kept properly. Especially on pasty skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Go to Stella - she's in Stitch Unisex Hair Salon in Carlton House, upstairs. 54 O'Connell St. Make sure you go upstairs cause there's a salon downstairs and they're not as good and will try to snatch you in there ha ha...so go upstairs and pass the net cafe and she's in there. She's amazing and so cheap. Her number is 086 063 5363 if you want to call her about prices etc. Really would recommend her, she's the best I've seen.

Thank you!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hey all,

Can anyone else recommend someone to maintain dreads?

I already have dreads but need to get the tidied, cut a small bit and REAL bees wax put in them. Any info would be much appreciated as I can't seem to get anyone to do them in Dublin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DreadsinDublin

Hey all,

Can anyone else recommend someone to maintain dreads?

I already have dreads but need to get the tidied, cut a small bit and REAL bees wax put in them. Any info would be much appreciated as I can't seem to get anyone to do them in Dublin.

Thanks.

hi there this might help :-) follow the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858923

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Closed. Dreadsindublin please do not drag up old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement