Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonding plasterboard to wall

Options
  • 24-06-2007 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

i'm planning on putting up some plasterboard on to a masonry wall, and was wondering is bonding it the best way to go? How easy is it too do? Do you use just bonding, or bonding compound?

Also wondering about sound dampening. How does it compare to putting up wooden supports and nailing to the wood?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Have you looked into soundproof plasterboard ?

I did a job in a house ,where the girl had done a massive amount of study into insulation.

She bought plasterboard with fibreglass type insallation attahced.
    I have to say ,it was the best soundproofing type material that I have ever seen. And it also had the highest insulation properties. VERY HEAVY THOUGH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

Would that be Fermacell?

Looked briefly into it, but couldn't find anywhere to get it. Chadwicks don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

blobbing plasterboard directly on to a wall would amplify any sound through the wall from either room... best cheap way is to use 2 by 1's on to the wall, fill the resultig gap with fibre insulation then plasterboard on to the wood

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

jdpl28 wrote:
    Hi,

Do you use just bonding, or bonding compound?

bonding will do fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

stag39 wrote:
    blobbing plasterboard directly on to a wall would amplify any sound through the wall from either room... best cheap way is to use 2 by 1's on to the wall, fill the resultig gap with fibre insulation then plasterboard on to the wood

What type of fiber insulation? i can only seem to get rockwool/fiberglass in 100mm depth, and there's no way this would fit behind a board fixed with a 2X1. Can you get rockwool at 20mm?

thanks,
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

J

plasterboard with attached insulation is by far the best way to go. You can attach it to the wall using special plastic plugs or by dapping on Lafarge bonding adhesive onto the slab and straight onto the wall. Make sure you get lafarge adhesvie bonding as gypsum bonding compound is not the same.

2x1 with insulation actually allows sound to travel easier than straght onto the wall due to the air pockets which allows vibration. A solid structure with no gaps is a better job. Your other option is to simply bond and skim the wall with gypsum bonding and skim. Do you need the plasterboard?

regards

keith

kkelliher wrote:
    J

plasterboard with attached insulation is by far the best way to go. You can attach it to the wall using special plastic plugs or by dapping on Lafarge bonding adhesive onto the slab and straight onto the wall. Make sure you get lafarge adhesvie bonding as gypsum bonding compound is not the same.

regards

keith

Yep plasterboard with the attached insulation is the job
    available in 38mm & 50mm thicknesses (incl plasterslab)

cost per 38mm slab Kingspan TW52 approx 29yoyo, 50mm cost about 39euro
    "Plastic Plugs" i.e. Mushrooms use 90mm for the 38mm or 110mm
    for the 50mm - use an absolute minimum of 9 per mushrooms per slab
    i'd normally use 12

Lafarge bonding adhesive - don't know about that!! :D
    gypsum bonding will do the job fine (blue bag) and is time proven,
    just don't use the gysum bonding compound (green)

cut slab to required measurements, mix bonding to "whipped ice cream texture" cover slab with a very thin layer (paper side), attach slab to wall
    drill holes, insert mushrooms and belt them with a hammer:)

might be worth it for you to get someone to do it for you

cost per slab labour (insulated slab) about 9 euro, normal slab 7

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

De_man wrote:
    [
    cut slab to required measurements, mix bonding to "whipped ice cream texture" cover slab with a very thin layer (paper side), attach slab to wall
    drill holes, insert mushrooms and belt them with a hammer:)

might be worth it for you to get someone to do it for you

cost per slab labour (insulated slab) about 9 euro, normal slab 7

Enjoy

Why do you need the mushrooms when you have bonding compound already holding the board ?

Reyman wrote:
    Why do you need the mushrooms when you have bonding compound already holding the board ?

hi ya Reyman you've a point there, and really you can use one or the other

i had been told to use both the bonding and mushrooms and that's what
    i did, my plasterer demanded it!!!

imho the mushrooms are a better job than the bonding and easier to attach the slabs to the walls.

there's also an issue with dewpoint/condensation occurring between the slab and wall, if the slab isn't bonded, condensation can occur between slab and and inside block -for the sake of 6euro a bag imho it's well worth it

a pint of plain is yer only man

Advertisement