Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you store your music collection?

Options
  • 24-06-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Thought I'd find out how we all store our music - be it for ease of access, secure storage etc.

I've always to have my whole collection available to me wherever I do roam... I've created an army of gmail accounts - I've got one for every letter of the alphabet - thats around 72 gigs of online space - accessible from anywhere - which I do like :)

The thought of lugging around a bulky mp3 player or portable harddrive doesn't appeal so much to me - I find this solution pretty good as I travel a lot etc

Well that's me - what's everyone else doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I store mine of shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Shelving for me too. Alphabetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Not autobiographical?
    I ran out of space for my cds so its all digital now, about 60 gigs on my pc. I might just steal that gmial idea though, very creative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

On vinyl, on shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

My cds live in a shelf-like compartment in my wardrobe, my vinyl lives in a corner of my room and my mp3s live on an external hard drive beside my laptop and some of them on my iPod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

Vorophobe wrote:
    Thought I'd find out how we all store our music - be it for ease of access, secure storage etc.

I've always to have my whole collection available to me wherever I do roam... I've created an army of gmail accounts - I've got one for every letter of the alphabet - thats around 72 gigs of online space - accessible from anywhere - which I do like :)

The thought of lugging around a bulky mp3 player or portable harddrive doesn't appeal so much to me - I find this solution pretty good as I travel a lot etc

Well that's me - what's everyone else doing?
    :eek: :eek: :eek: would it not have been easier to just buy an external hard drive? an 80gb ipod isnt that bulky. You need access to the net to get at your music that way. would it not annoying waiting for songs to doenload, it would also kill your bandwidth

To answer the original question, i have around 20gb of music, stored on an externel hd, AND BACKED UP ON DVDS! a week after i backed them up, my hd crashed!!!! i was lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Vinyl /CDs - shelves
    Ipod
    Laptop

Also back up all MP3s to an external HD every month or so

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

CD's a are cock. Any i have are in large cases, cd boxes are just annoying
    Vinyl on a shelf
    Everything else on a iaduio and laptop/ HD

The gmail idea sound annoying in the fact that how long did you spend uploading it? And what happens when you can't get online?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

On an external hard drive, an mp3 player that I use, and one that I leave plugged into my 360. Don't buy cd's anymore. Take up too much space.

Gmail idea sounds like way too much hassle. Like someone said before, an 80gb Ipod is hardly bulky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lordgoat wrote:
    The gmail idea sound annoying in the fact that how long did you spend uploading it? And what happens when you can't get online?

not to mention how much of your bandwidth cap you'd waste too.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I store mine on my ipod but want to get an external harddrive for a backup because my only backup is my cds and it would be a pain to have to put them back on the ipod if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Thought Id jump in here with a reply, now seems the time ;)

Regarding bandwidth, Im fortunate enough to be with Smart, so there is no bandwidth cap - and yes, uploading can take a while, but its well worth it.

Regarding having an 80 gig Ipod... its.. actually not enough storage space :(
    I have a few PCs in the house, and theres around... 150gig of music on all of them collectively.. plus the guys at work have an insane amount... so even with two large ipods Id be struggling... I am slightly paranoid about harddrives and cd's failing, so I chose the online option.

Im sure there'll be someone that'll jump in and thwack me on the head for not suggesting I back up my collection on tape, but Im not that savvy.

.. yet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Er, you said in your first post that you had 72G of online space - that's what the 80G ipod suggestion was based on. Also, the question was how you store your music, so how does the 'insane amount' the guys in work have come into the equation?
    If that's the case, I store all my cds in HMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=147744
    Looks promising, and smaller than an ipod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

purplegeko wrote:
    I store mine on my ipod but want to get an external harddrive for a backup because my only backup is my cds and it would be a pain to have to put them back on the ipod if anything happens.
    it would be worth backing up your music on the external to dvds. i did that, then 2 weeks later, hard drive crashed:mad: could have lost all my music!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Vorophobe wrote:
    Thought Id jump in here with a reply, now seems the time ;)

Regarding bandwidth, Im fortunate enough to be with Smart, so there is no bandwidth cap - and yes, uploading can take a while, but its well worth it.

Regarding having an 80 gig Ipod... its.. actually not enough storage space :(
    I have a few PCs in the house, and theres around... 150gig of music on all of them collectively.. plus the guys at work have an insane amount... so even with two large ipods Id be struggling... I am slightly paranoid about harddrives and cd's failing, so I chose the online option.

Im sure there'll be someone that'll jump in and thwack me on the head for not suggesting I back up my collection on tape, but Im not that savvy.

.. yet :cool:
    the guys at work are the same, thay have around 150 gigs as well. but out of that 150gigs, how much of that do you actualy listen to regularly? I know the guys at work have well over 100gb, that they have never listened, and never will listen to! its just a competition to see who has the biggest collection!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

the guys at work are the same, thay have around 150 gigs as well. but out of that 150gigs, how much of that do you actualy listen to regularly? I know the guys at work have well over 100gb, that they have never listened, and never will listen to! its just a competition to see who has the biggest collection!!:D

I've listened to most of my music, and work through other people's catalogues as much as I can or as I upload them - finding time to do it can be difficult, and you have to mentally prepare yourself to listen to two albums in a row by two completely different artists... I'll usually put one on as I leave for work, and it's finished by the time I get there, and start one on the way home.

And obviously if it's **** I'll skip on ;)

Also, if it's something I wouldn't necessarily listen to, but could be played at a party overseas or something (and they have a broadband connection!) then it's handy to have it all the same.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Vorophobe wrote:
    I've listened to most of my music, and work through other people's catalogues as much as I can or as I upload them - finding time to do it can be difficult, and you have to mentally prepare yourself to listen to two albums in a row by two completely different artists... I'll usually put one on as I leave for work, and it's finished by the time I get there, and start one on the way home.

And obviously if it's **** I'll skip on ;)

Also, if it's something I wouldn't necessarily listen to, but could be played at a party overseas or something (and they have a broadband connection!) then it's handy to have it all the same.

To me it sounds like it's some kind of job/chore you have to do or get through... I love music some days i listen to lots others not at all, i don;t think i could ever enjoy it if i said right i have to get through these two albums today. Sorry if i took this up long, i'm jet lagged to ****

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

lordgoat wrote:
    To me it sounds like it's some kind of job/chore you have to do or get through... I love music some days i listen to lots others not at all, i don;t think i could ever enjoy it if i said right i have to get through these two albums today. Sorry if i took this up long, i'm jet lagged to ****
    I don't think you took it up long at all. I was gonna post the same thing. Unless you actually have to listen to the albums for something work related it should never be a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

lordgoat wrote:

I totally agree, anytime I've tried to listen to an album because I feel I have to, then I just find myself getting fed up way to quick with it. I don't know how anyone would be able to enjoy the music if they were setting themselves goals as to how much to listen to in one day....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I had 40GB on a laptop with a backup on an external harddrive. Now I have about 60GB on a new desktop machine and I only listen to about 4GB worth.

I use this (http://amarok.kde.org/d/en/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=103) application to organize my music. But I miss the tactile thing of having CD's / vinyl in front of me. I tried to write an application to do this (http://www24.brinkster.com/jreidy/) but the effort to make it good enough was out of bounds for me so I left it aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've about 80Gb on an external harddrive. I then transfer to and from my 20GB mp3 player depending on what I feel like listening to.

Advertisement