Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card fraud - what happens next?

Options
  • 24-06-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Got a call yesterday from my CC company asking me to verify an online transaction for €2000. I hadn't made any online purchase and told them so. They said that I should cut up my card, a new one would be sent out and that I would be contacted by their fraud dept on Monday. I asked if the money had already been taken from my account and was told it had. I then asked when I would get the money back and was told 2-3 weeks. Any further questions I had were not entertained, but I was told that I would get further information when speaking to the fraud dept.

I'm not happy with the 2.-3 week thing. That's a large part of my card balance. I had intended buy some AV equipment with the card in the coming days and pay the balance of a holiday due by 06 July. I can't use the card for either now.

It's good that it was caught and that I will get the money back but to be down €2000 for three weeks is not so good.

Anyone ever in this boat? How did it turn out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Basically it takes up to 30 working days as the company that took the payment are legally entitled to take that long to reply from a CC info. request. What they are replying about is something the fraud dept. needs.

Annoying but nothing the bank can do about it. Sometimes they'll automatically refund you as they know the answer or don't need it.

You should probably keep paying the minimum balance or pay off any balance you've created yourself to keep the card active. All interest accrued on the 2000k will be auto. refunded. Ask the company about a temp limit increase because of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks Sangre. Hope this does not get too complicated. A couple of weeks before this I bought a LCD for near 2k and I'm guessing there was probably around 1-2k of the balance already used up before this. So, first of all, this may have put me over my limit of 5.5k, and the card was to be my main source of finance while on holiday. I clear the balance every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Happened to be before, 3 fradulante online transactions
    Took about 2 weeks for all of them to be cleared/refunded.

Delay with mine was due to transactions made in a different
    currancy so there was a delay working back the exchange rates etc.

I actually spotted the transactions on online account but just after
    calling the credit card office the post man delivered a letter from them
    to say there were odd transactions on my account that they wanted
    to question.

All in all they made it quite easy and were very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Fraudulent Credit / Laser card transactions on the internet are growing at a huge rate.

It stems from details been taken by people whether by stealing the card or by taking down extra details when the card is handed over in a retail outlet. (e.g. the CVV number at the back of the card) - Rarely is it from the cardholder using the card on another internet site.

Most sites will have address verification software and other security to ensure no transaction takes place but too many sites don't have these back-ups thus if the transaction goes through, it can take up to 2 weeks for money to be returned to the bank.

e.g. Transaction on thursday 1st, you inform bank on friday 2nd, bank write to retailer on monday 5th retailer respnds within 7 days - bank receives response wednesday 14th and puts credit through on thursday 15th - and thats when everything goes smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Well you have my sympathy as I had fraud on my card that ran into a few thousand.

I never use my card in shops.....never and yet I was defrauded.

Would say paying for goods over the phone is as bad as shops and maybe this is how I got caught.

• Advertisement

Just got a call this morning form a company in England asking me to confirm that it was actually 3 of their remote control helicopters that I ordered from them!! Total cost was ST£1400. Not sure what's going on here... they had my name, cc number, my home postal addres, my work phone number. The order was to be delivered to my home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

shayser wrote:
    Just got a call this morning form a company in England asking me to confirm that it was actually 3 of their remote control helicopters that I ordered from them!! Total cost was ST£1400. Not sure what's going on here... they had my name, cc number, my home postal addres, my work phone number. The order was to be delivered to my home address.

Are you sure you didnt order them while drunk and forget ;)

Saint_Mel wrote:
    Are you sure you didnt order them while drunk and forget ;)
    LOL, no, but it's strange that the stuff was to be delivered to my home. This particular shister must be an idiot.

Been thinking and I've an idea about this... I recall seeiing a Newsnight piece recently about call centers in a certain country and their complete lack of security in relation to their customer credit card details. The bigger the bundle of CC details an insider could supply the bigger the wad of cash he/she would get. I signed a contract and a monthly DD about 2 months ago. Never had any problems before in the 6 years I've had the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Best of luck with it... but I got hit for €2000 of fraud on my card in the past and it took about 5 months for them to knock it off my card... and then I had to argue to get them to remove the interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

By any chance could this be someone playing a (rather stupid and highly illegal) practical joke on you? Perhaps a housemate or relative who would have access to your card or even statement. A fraudster wouldn't normally get things delivered to the actual card holder's address, unless he has some way to intercept the delivery (like he works for the post office or whatever courier that shop uses).

Could you ask the shop for the IP address that the order was placed from? They should have this on file. There shouldn't be a data protection issue either as you are the person they have on file as placing the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Shayser, the exact same thing happened to me recently, so I know what you're going through.

There were about 4 or 5 transactions on my account that I had nothing to do with. The CC company sent me a form verifying that, and asked me to sign it and return my card.

They sent me a new card and pin immediately.

The transactions were wiped from my card, so my balance was available BUT one of them actually went through a month later and showed up on my next bill! I rang the company again, and they wiped it... it was an error on the part of the vendor they said, and not their mistake.

So apart from that one hiccup, it took 14 days or so to clear up, depending mainly on the services of An Post to deliver the form back and forth! The one transaction outlined above was cleared up with one phone call (I got a letter from them about 2 days later saying that my account had been updated etc etc).

Good luck! Any ideas where your card was cloned? I'm so paranoid with mine now, I feel really ill at ease over the whole thing.

vibrant wrote:
    Shayser, the exact same thing happened to me recently, so I know what you're going through.

There were about 4 or 5 transactions on my account that I had nothing to do with. The CC company sent me a form verifying that, and asked me to sign it and return my card.

They sent me a new card and pin immediately.

The transactions were wiped from my card, so my balance was available BUT one of them actually went through a month later and showed up on my next bill! I rang the company again, and they wiped it... it was an error on the part of the vendor they said, and not their mistake.

So apart from that one hiccup, it took 14 days or so to clear up, depending mainly on the services of An Post to deliver the form back and forth! The one transaction outlined above was cleared up with one phone call (I got a letter from them about 2 days later saying that my account had been updated etc etc).

Good luck! Any ideas where your card was cloned? I'm so paranoid with mine now, I feel really ill at ease over the whole thing.

I hope I get this cleared up a quickly as you did. The CC company said to me on Friday their fraud dept would contact me yesterday but they didn't. I rang today and they wont be calling me but sending the form out instead. Checked my statement and there are two other transactions that went through and the €2000 one will go through. They said to only pay off what I think I owe and omit the transactions that are not mine but I pay in fuil by monthly DD. Don't want to go canelling this and setting up a new one, but maybe I should.

A fourth transaction for St£1400 hadn't gone through. But... the company involved rang me querying a detail and I told them the situation and they said no problem they will cancel the order. Well, today they tried to put it through and only that the CC company had changed my number on Saturday it would have gone through.

Re: cloning, think it was one of those Indian call centre (Irish based company) deals where my details were sold. That's all I can think of. Had no bother before doing business with them.
    Best of luck with it... but I got hit for €2000 of fraud on my card in the past and it took about 5 months for them to knock it off my card... and then I had to argue to get them to remove the interest.
    That sucks. 5 months!

It's a pain running to the ATM when I need to buy something. Had some AV equipment picked out in the UK and can't get this now. Will have missed the deal. The card was to be my source of cash on holiday too. Feel like calling in the Gardaí. This is fraud same as any other fraud.

Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Like I said just increase the limit on the visa for the holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... I discovered the fraud on my card the night before heading to Brazil... I had them send a new card out to me over there and increased my limit.

Cheers guys, will do that.

Advertisement