Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting a Multiplayer game

Options
  • 25-06-2007 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I contacted me ISP about ports. They said everything is open and there should be no problem hosting a game. If anyone connects (tries) to my IP they dont see me. Is it firewall or why can no one see me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

What ISP/router you have?

Usually there is a certain level of configuration you need to do. Why don't you set up a webserver like BadBlue just to check if you can connect to your external IP using port 80. Then at least you have something to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You has to set up port forwarding on the ADSL modem/router.

No need to setup a web server which is a security risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

See. I have no router. Iam connected to an antanna, and that goes to a base on a hill across the field. In there is the router, and they've told me its free to host.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ok, when you do ipconfig /all check if your IP is 192.168. range or something else. if its something else, you are on a public IP and port forwarding isnt neccesary however ports may still be blocked either by windows firewall ( on be default ) or your ISP.

if you are given a 192.168. range ip, then you are on a LAN / NAT segment and port forwarding is required. Check the default gateway, and that is the router you are behind. If you dont have any router device in operation in your house then this must be caused by your ISP NAT'ing all customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its probably just your firewall on your computer.

If it is the windows firewall then you can add the program to allow access the Internet (e.g HL2.exe) and I think that should allow you setup multiplayer games.

However if its another firewall you might have to look up port numbers or find the add program exception section.

• Advertisement

Right the gateway is taking me to the router. Can't get in though! It's a Zyxl Prestige 334

and you really are not running a router such as that yourself ? What does your computer plug in to, i assume there is some sort of modem being used, which is probably that, and includes a router built in to it.

No sir. I think I would be right to say that Iam simply in a wireless network, not using a USB adapter but an antanne on the roof. The router that my community is connect to is on the base on the hill across the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

try that: [WIN]+R, type CMD then <enter>
    then type IPCONFIG <enter> and write what you at IP Address

who said anything about USB.

also is that some sort of community broadband thing which is a DSL connection shared wirelessly or something otherwise I've no idea why there would be a NAT Router on the hill across the way

• Advertisement
Advertisement