Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3's masts....

Options
  • 25-06-2007 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Folks, anyone know what masts, if any, 3 own?
    I always thought that they were co locating with 02 and were essentially just buying bandwidth as such off them?
    Maybe they have thrown up a few of their own masts around the country or have their own equipment up on 02 masts now?

My ignorance level is a bit high on all things mobile phone masts :)

From comregs site it shows where there is mobile phone masts, but not who owns etc.
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/site_viewer.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some masts aren't owned by any phone company.

Co-location on same mast and "buying bandwidth" are two different things, quite unrelated.

Who actually owns a mast is not important unless you are an Operator looking for a mast to put new aerials on. It has no effect to the service or significance to public which is why Comreg does not list that info.

Meteor and 3 both have agreements for coverage with other operators. In those areas you get the signal from a different operator but the phone will still claim 3 or Meteor. Someone else entirely, possibly RTE, ESB, Bord Gais, Private Mobile Radio operator or CIE may actually own the physical mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

BT Ireland own 3's network over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

There is a site around here that is actually owned by the ESB. every single mobile phone company has a bunch of cells hanging off the masts that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

nearly all major ESB stations, RTE Sites, and Garda Stations are also used for Mobiles, for obvious reason, since no extra planning permission or construction is required other than permission from the mast owner ( more or less ).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and even though everyone shares the one esb mast in the parish that lying piece of **** comreg siteviewer will show the different operators in different locations .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I am curious myself about where i am getting my signal from. According to the guy in the 3 store, my nearest point is Mt Leinster, but i am getting good speeds with data modem, so I suspect it must be from Coppenagh, between Thomastown and Graigue, which is only about 2kms away. Very rural here, so unless the sheep get online, i may well have a cell to myself for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It could be Mt. Leinster though. If the mast is high and few people on it the cell size can be 10times the size of a city cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and even though everyone shares the one esb mast in the parish that lying piece of **** comreg siteviewer will show the different operators in different locations .

I asked ComReg where they get their information on siteviewer.ie. They told me they use siteviewer.ie for that. :eek:

At least that would explain why it's so out of date...

Advertisement