Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rape Crisis Centre Ads

• 25-06-2007 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

My friends and I were at the cinema over the weekend. They had the usual ads before the film except for two. Now, ads are usually longer in the cinema but we were not expecting a two minute long lecture on 'rapists are usually people you know' before we settled into a good flick. What was even more surreal was the fact that immediately after that particular joyful experience there was an ad about safe sex and the dangers of Gonorrhea.

Now I don't know about you, but I like to go to the cinema to be entertained. Myself and the lads had a good giggle at the strangeness of it all but I wouldn't like to be on a first date with a girl and be subjected to that! You'd think twice about using the ol' outstreched arm yawning manoeuvre :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I must have missed your point. I take it you don't approve of ads that remind peopel of the harsh realities of life in an attempt to help protect them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I agree with the OP, I go to the Cinema for escapism. Not to be reminded about diseases, drink driving, or any other real life malarky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Unfortunately the cinema is probably populated by a lot of teens who need to be informed of this kind of thing. C'est la vie lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I hate that rape crisis centre ad. Sure throw it on evening TV or whatever, but it really kills the buzz before a movie with your friends. You're all having a laugh then suddenly that 2 minute monstrosity comes on and you look like a cúnt if you're talking with people having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Unfortunately the cinema is probably populated by a lot of teens who need to be informed of this kind of thing. C'est la vie lads.

Maybe. But I think this will harm the attendance at Cinemas, as I've already stated, the Cinema is a form of escapism, entertainment. If these type of ads continue to be mainstream, people will get pissed off, and movies will get bad reviews (For example, being in bad form after viewing one of these ads, then watching a comedy when your mind isn't in the best state to appreciate the initial punchlines). It's a bad move on behalf of Carlton Screen Advertising who are responsible for most of the ads in Cinemas at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Zillah wrote:
    I must have missed your point. I take it you don't approve of ads that remind peopel of the harsh realities of life in an attempt to help protect them?

Not my point at all. I'm sure you knew that but wanted to play devil's advocate all the same.

I hate that rape crisis centre ad. Sure throw it on evening TV or whatever, but it really kills the buzz before a movie with your friends. You're all having a laugh then suddenly that 2 minute monstrosity comes on and you look like a **** if you're talking with people having a laugh.

Agreed. Although I probably wouldn't have used the 'C' word to make my point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ned78 wrote:
    Maybe. But I think this will harm the attendance at Cinemas, as I've already stated, the Cinema is a form of escapism, entertainment. If these type of ads continue to be mainstream, people will get pissed off, and movies will get bad reviews (For example, being in bad form after viewing one of these ads, then watching a comedy when your mind isn't in the best state to appreciate the initial punchlines). It's a bad move on behalf of Carlton Screen Advertising who are responsible for most of the ads in Cinemas at the moment.
    Actually, I suspect people will adjust and become desensitised (as they usually do anyway) as it's a dose of reality just before an hour+ of fantasy. Although, it targets the demographic it's aimed at, and helps shut people up just before a flick, it's a rather short-sighted ploy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I hate that rape crisis centre ad. Sure throw it on evening TV or whatever, but it really kills the buzz before a movie with your friends. You're all having a laugh then suddenly that 2 minute monstrosity comes on and you look like a cúnt if you're talking with people having a laugh.

Spot on there, I felt exactly like that last week at the cinema when those ads came on, that and the drink driving ad. Infact, I disagree with ads in general at the cinema, don't they get enough money from the tickets and food?

@Those who object to them so much: Have any of you walked out and asked for a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Karoma wrote:
    @Those who object to them so much: Have any of you walked out and asked for a refund?

I don't really mind ads before a flick. They're usually quite entertaining and of course give the annoying late comers a chance to get to their seats without disturbing everyone during the actual film. There used to be a lot more trailers before films but now they've been replaced by more and more ads. Seems strange to me that instead of the cinema actually advertising their upcoming attractions, they show more ads. But when there's money to be made!

So it's not ads I'm really talking about, just the content of some in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Your ticket would be even more overpriced if there were no ads in cinemas.

Quit whining.

JC's top tip:
    Always go into a film 20-30 mins after the time stated on your ticket.

Eglinton wrote:
    So it's not ads I'm really talking about, just the content of some in particular.
    That's what I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Karoma wrote:

4 times out of 5 I'll be late for the ads and only come in towards the end of the trailers. The ads don't annoy me enough to cancel my Cineworld card and stop going to see films, which is what I'd have to do since Carlton seem to have a monopoly on cinema advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Karoma wrote:

I actually had a chat with a manager of my local cinema about it and was suprised at how willing they were to listen to my point of view over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

How about when you're about to eat your dinner and an imodium ad comes on and tells you that your bowels are like a handbag filled with cigarette butts and banana skins. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

There was a 2 hour ad for the RCC on RTE last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I share similiar sentiments with the OP. The last thing I want when I'm on an evening out with the girlfriend is a sermon on rape before a movie in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

JC 2K3 wrote:
    JC's top tip:
    Always go into a film 20-30 mins after the time stated on your ticket.

Almost as irritating as the bloody ads ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Got to agree with the op. I was at the cinema with a friend who had been raped. That ad didn't exactly help her enjoy her night.
    I understand the importance of awarness etc., but people go to the cinema to relax and unwind. The adds just make people feel bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well then email a cmplaint to the cinema and to carlton advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Why? I don't see it achiving anything to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Eglinton wrote:
    What was even more surreal was the fact that immediately after that particular joyful experience there was an ad about safe sex and the dangers of Gonorrhea.

Perhaps an ad for this is needed in the cinema. Well my friend works in Cineworld, and apparantly it is quite the common occurance to find used condoms in the screens! There must be plenty more at the cinema not using the condoms.

What's worse, she has found some a number of times after afternoon showings of kids films :eek: Yuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I complained to the advertising standards authority and got a response to the effect that as it was in the public interest there was nothing they could do.

What a load of ****e.

Advertisement