Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 things I miss about Limerick

• 25-06-2007 2:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I am working on an essay for my own site about some of the things from a childhood in Limerick.

I am looking for peoples views on things that are no longer in existance in Limerick , but would give their right eye to still have today.

It doesn't matter how trivial the thing is. as long as it brings back a happy memory, I would like to hear about it.

So what things , which no longer exist, or are no longer availible in Limerick, do you miss?

I might even throw in a copy of " A Stroll through Memory Lane Volume 6" for the best story.

**** it, I'm feeling all happy and generous, I will throw in a copy for every story that I pick.

Actually, Given that some ex-pats might read this. We will include things that are no longer availible to them, but are still availible to us here in Limerick.

So If you emigrated, and miss something from Limerick, let post it here and we can see if it can be included in my top 10 things I miss about limerick essay. which will be posted on Limerickblogger.org.

I will close this thread on 1. August 2007 and those who have been selected will receive a copy of the Memory Lane book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Burgerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

rok wrote:
    Burgerland

ha , I was thinking the very same when I read this thread this morning . Not that it was great or anything , but it was the first ( that I remember ) . My first milkshake .

Having said that , I don't miss it , it was a start but we went on to bigger and better things I think .

I am thinking about this one Billy , but all the things I miss have nothing to do with Limerick , in particular , and more to do with ones youth in general .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I miss Spaights and the overhead wire system for paying for an item ..... a lttle cage was used to carry your money and a note of the price to a central cash office ..... it ran on overhead wires and to see all those cages zipping here and there was some sight .... back came the receipt and any change owed .... it was so civilized .... you could have a great chat while the cage was doing it's job .... :)

one day a new gal started in the cash office ...... someone popped a dead mouse into a cage and sent it post haste to the new gal ..... screams and curses enveloped the whole of Spaights .... :p

Do I get a book ? ..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The one thing I miss is the old Cannok's (spelling?) clock on Patrick's Street before Penny's ruinned it back in the late 1980s. How could such an obvious landmark be turned into the embaresment we see today? It should be restored to it's former glory imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Savoy (no, really). When was in college, my friends and I could see 2 or 3 movies back to back because of the lack of security there. :)

Bewleys on Cruises St. Bit of a kip, but nice coffee...

Forget the name (Buzz, maybe?), but there was an arcade where Vodafone's shop is on Patrick Street. Good collection of games too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Roches Stores!!!!!!!!!
    The Savoy
    Town on a saturday (the old buzz)
    The Green Double Deckers
    The Hovercraft down the docks
    Sandy (field out by Rossbrien)
    O Connell Mall
    Warm Summers
    PADDY EXPO!!! :D
    Spaights (with the cool carpark)
    O Mahonys bookshop by Spaights
    Krups (ahh the memories)
    the old christmas lights
    The Green bridge in janesboro and the foynes train
    Bewleys
    Athena
    Past-times
    when cruises street was new
    TODDS!!!
    Paddy's days parade and intl. band comp (back when they were something)
    The playground in O Brien's (clare st) park...my utopia

all i can think of...im too young for most things (16years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Cruises Hotel - remember my mother taking me to a Family Christmas party way back when where I got to meet Santa Claus

like TmB - The Savoy - great way to pass a rainy afternoon - watching films back to back

Puccinis on Bedford Row - Saturday afternoon lunch breaks from studying in the Tutorial where we sat and talked too long we never made it back to the afternoon session (but of course had our stuff with us)

TmB - yes it was called the Buzz, there used always be loads of people sitting outside it too - I walked right into a pole there one Friday afternoon in front of everyone :o

Tropics nightclub in the George - the only nightclub I could get into before I was 18 - and of course then 80s night in the George and the Sibín

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

The Malibu Bar on Cecil Street , when Eamonn Moynihan had it .

And yes , breakfast in Cruises Hotel after being at my first dinner dance with my girlfriend , who one year later was no longer my girlfriend............ she was my wife :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Todds Christmas window. That was a great part of Christmas, I remember there being anamatronic smurfs one year.

I actually thought of a couple of other things but now all that comes to mind is a vision of one of the smurfs riding a caterpillar through a Christmas wonderland. Oh well I'm sure they'll come back to me.

Eta; Javas, I really loved that place when I first went there aged 16 in 1995. Used to go there after Star Trek club.:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cruises Cafe. Great place for breakfast. Now sadly gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Tropics
    The Glory Hole
    Feathery Burkes
    McGregors(might still be there - when it first opened)
    Savoy Cinema
    The swamp(where supermac's is built on now on the Ennis Rd.)
    Toymaster
    Barrington's Pier(before the put a road through the middle of it)
    The Buzz
    Upstairs in Bewley's on a Saturday
    St. Michael's Snooker club(is it still there?)
    Spaights
    Nestor's Sports Store(Great for fishing tackle)
    The old George Bar
    Friar Tucks
    The Carlton
    The Crescent(before it quadrupled in size)
    N.I.H.E(now known as U.L)
    Thomond College
    The Liverpool Store
    Universal Sports(in arthur's quay)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

The Henry Cecil, I loved that place, the pub (new lots of people in there plus all the bar staff), the night club (Don't think I was ever stopped going in there, as long as you had money to spend you could get in there plus you would get a ticket for some chicken & chips), and the cheep gone of drink from the off Licence, (Think it was Woody's Alco pops)

The free bun & milk you got in school

Poldarks (Teenage Disco.) Out in the two mile inn. It was only on once a month and every one was there. 4 pound to get in and 50p for a glass of coke or orange, I always had five pounds going out there, 4 pound to get in and 1 pound for two drinks (3 of us would chip in for 10 fags (3 fags each and we all got a smoke off the one left over) Good times. We would go to the "Rave" shop every now and again to buy or X-Works jeans, Hit & Run tops, and who could for get the nappy pants!

The old Chicken Hut

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Len Dineens radio show on 95fm on Sunday mornings, played lots of old tunes. Used listen to it with the Da in the car going up to rugby Sunday mornings when I was a kid. Does he still do a similar show? Used to love how he'd say hello to loads and loads of people around town. He probably didn't, but to me it sounded like he personally knew everyone he mentioned. I'm not in Limerick much to hear it anymore if he still does this. His voice always has a calming effect on me these days because of that show!

As for "Larry McEvoys Country Jamboree" radio show in the afternoons.....jesus. We were forced to listen to that if the parents decided we were going visiting some cousin or other for a few hours on a Sunday. I can't stand country music as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Henry Cecil, I loved that place, the pub (new lots of people in there plus all the bar staff), the night club (Don't think I was ever stopped going in there, as long as you had money to spend you could get in there plus you would get a ticket for some chicken & chips), and the cheep gone of drink from the off Licence, (Think it was Woody's Alco pops)

you must be joking? that place was full of scumbags,i went there once when i was 16 and saw a guy get stabbed in the face with the broken end of a pint glass on the dance floor and nobdy tried to help him they all started kicking the **** out of him, didnt that place cave in or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

John the Man on radio Luimni every weekday morning broadcasting from the second floor of what is now Callaghans butchers shop on Upper William Street.

Always played requests for Kids going to school ah the memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

sioda wrote:
    John the Man on radio Luimni every weekday morning broadcasting from the second floor of what is now Callaghans butchers shop on Upper William Street.

Always played requests for Kids going to school ah the memories

He always did loads of birthday requests. I remember he said he said happy birthday to me when I was about 6, I was chuffed.:D

Also Dr John every Wednesday evening calling out the Crazy Offers in Crazy Prices. "Anyone who picks up a 10 pack of rashers in the next 5 minutes will get a voucher for half price sausages, that's another crazy offer from cra-azzzyyyy prices, quick now to the meat aisle for your bacon and you'll get half prices sausages!!!!!!!"

Actually I don't miss that, it used to do my head in.:( But my baby brother got to record a poem or something which was played on the radio the next Friday morning and they gave him a prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

And now we have a lovely song for little Mary in Ballinanty who is six today, and especially for you we have Vera Lynn singing, I'm forever blowing bubbles.

Can't beat the Radio Luimai requests.

Anyone remember the Holiday Rap at 2am on Radio Munster. That was a great station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

What you are missing is not Limerick's past, it is your childhood :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

The cattle market. I grew up nearby and it was great fun to go up and mix with the farmers, help move the cattle, listening to the auctioneer in the ring etc. Best of the lot was the annual bull sale.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Big L
    The Bacon Factory on Thomas Street.
    There was another pirate station broadcasting from the corner of Roches ST/Parnell Street - CCR or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 beanflick

Beat on the street :D:D
    Thomond park full to the rafters for ail match between shannon and garryowen class

parsi wrote:
    Big L
    There was another pirate station broadcasting from the corner of Roches ST/Parnell Street - CCR or something

there's a name from the old Moto days ..... :p

parsi ... the E770v is still bombing along for me .... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

John the Man and his galloping maget.

hobie wrote:
    there's a name from the old Moto days ..... :p

parsi ... the E770v is still bombing along for me .... :)

Good to hear ! I'd say I kept mine for only a month or two before selling it on...

parsi wrote:
    Big L

City Centre Radio according to this
    http://www.onsight.ie/liambyrne/information.php?dir=limerick_radio_site/the_pirate_era/_baks

I know Liam frequents this site, so Liam, you got any Radio Munster recordings?

Unable to edit my last post.

The john The man clip on that site takes me back to the days of 5-digit telephone numbers in the City :D

Unable to edit my last post.

The John The man clip on that site takes me back to the days of 5-digit telephone numbers in the City :D

Was John the man the guy who, when reading the death notices, would say .....

.....Oh that's ok .... we don't know him !!!! :p

good link Billy - I remember Liam from NIHE

That John The Man recording brings me back. He used play a song about a goat "..are you digging the dillon, are you diggin them deep, are you piling them dillon in a nice big heap.." but eventually got sick of it and when the next request came up he told the listeners that the goat was dead and gone to Pat Graces... war ensued...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Used to work at Burgerland. Manager tried to kiss me in the fridge - suffice to say, I don't miss it! :D

Good to see John the Man (Frawley) get a mention. I knew of him when he ran his station out the back of Sexton Street. While his selection of music is mentioned, I found his speaking style utterly unique - I was so fascinated I interviewed him for a school project...I still have the recording somewhere AND would you believe, everywhere I travel and I meet someone who knows where Limerick is, 99% of the time they mention John the Man. Not bad for what was back then a pirate station in a very little known spot on the map.

Other things:

- Horses wandering down the Island, usually at around 2am.
    - The coal cart.
    - Alive in Limerick (still *really* dirty about the blog not being archived online)
    - The Savoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Tea Leaf wrote:
    Used to work at Burgerland. Manager tried to kiss me in the fridge - suffice to say, I don't miss it! :D

Good to see John the Man (Frawley) get a mention. I knew of him when he ran his station out the back of Sexton Street. While his selection of music is mentioned, I found his speaking style utterly unique - I was so fascinated I interviewed him for a school project...I still have the recording somewhere AND would you believe, everywhere I travel and I meet someone who knows where Limerick is, 99% of the time they mention John the Man. Not bad for what was back then a pirate station in a very little known spot on the map.

Other things:

- Horses wandering down the Island, usually at around 2am.
    - The coal cart.
    - Alive in Limerick (still *really* dirty about the blog not being archived online)
    - The Savoy

Speaking about Burgerland, i reckon anyone who grew up in Limerick remembers it, with its multi-colour seats. Youre part of the regional heritage now,you should be proud!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement