Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this may seem a strange request..

Options
  • 25-06-2007 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

but can anyone point me in the direction of some instrumental music? i have a lighting design project at college, and when we were initially told to start thinking about a song we may want to use, i was like awesome! ive got loads of ideas! then when i got the actual brief it said instrumental (i dont own any really) and that once we've the design done, we get assigned a dancer from college (either classical ballet or contemporary) who has to dance to the song and lighting design..time limit is 3min30secs but ive got adobe audition and can chop it a bit if neccessary.

ive got a couple of classical pieces as backup but would rather use something different if i can!

im completely stuck..so ideas or starting points would be great.

thanks in advance.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Do you've any rough ideas for what kind of music you're looking for? At the most basic, fast or slow? Soft or loud? Are you happy with classical or do you want something more modern?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Laika wrote:
    Do you've any rough ideas for what kind of music you're looking for? At the most basic, fast or slow? Soft or loud? Are you happy with classical or do you want something more modern?

hrrm yeah, i was going to say what i was kind of into, but i didnt want to be like "i like this and this, now give me some songs!" all demanding and such.

definately loud, and a reasonably fast tempo. would prefer modern but im open to classical right now 'cause ive no other ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

An artist called Yanni has a good few instrumentals, this one is a piano piece but search for a song called "nice to meet you" by him, it could go pretty well with what your doing.

Or how about something along the lines of Davy Spillane? Also search for a track called undertow by him, it's an excellent mix of traditional/rock with uileann pipes:D Plus he has an equally beautiful track as the one I linked to called Midnight Walker

Also look for an artist called Lisa Gerrard, some good instrumental pieces, look for "biking home", "waka in the sky" and "go forward", the last two should be played together actually. The last two have a tribal style and there is chanting (if you have seen Sparta think of when the soldiers do their chant of Eii Eii!! lol).

Ludovico Einaudi has an album Stanze, and the first track "Notte" is pretty good and the usual style you expect from a pianist.

Another good one could be "Laurens Walking" by Angelo Badalamenti, amongst others by him.

What about Chicane, low sun?

Check out Cormac Breatnach too, his album Musical Journey is bleedin brilliant, luckily he actually has samples on his site:) Check out #5 of Musical Journey.

I've been writing this for ages, I think the best thing you can do is describe what kind of composition you want the video to have and then I'll try and suggest songs that suit that rather than just spouting off random instrumental tracks;)

What will be in the video? What kind of speed will it be? Slow motion? Quick? Real time? Will it be black and white? Colour? Sepia? Outdoor? Indoor? Country side? City? Spacious? Enclosed? What items will be in your video etc? Or is it just going to be a dancer with lighting? If so, what will the stage or area be like?

cormie wrote:
    An artist called Yanni has a good few instrumentals, this one is a piano piece but search for a song called "nice to meet you" by him, it could go pretty well with what your doing.

Or how about something along the lines of Davy Spillane? Also search for a track called undertow by him, it's an excellent mix of traditional/rock with uileann pipes:D Plus he has an equally beautiful track as the one I linked to called Midnight Walker

Also look for an artist called Lisa Gerrard, some good instrumental pieces, look for "biking home", "waka in the sky" and "go forward", the last two should be played together actually. The last two have a tribal style and there is chanting (if you have seen Sparta think of when the soldiers do their chant of Eii Eii!! lol).

Ludovico Einaudi has an album Stanze, and the first track "Notte" is pretty good and the usual style you expect from a pianist.

Another good one could be "Laurens Walking" by Angelo Badalamenti, amongst others by him.

What about Chicane, low sun?

Check out Cormac Breatnach too, his album Musical Journey is bleedin brilliant, luckily he actually has samples on his site:) Check out #5 of Musical Journey.

I've been writing this for ages, I think the best thing you can do is describe what kind of composition you want the video to have and then I'll try and suggest songs that suit that rather than just spouting off random instrumental tracks;)

What will be in the video? What kind of speed will it be? Slow motion? Quick? Real time? Will it be black and white? Colour? Sepia? Outdoor? Indoor? Country side? City? Spacious? Enclosed? What items will be in your video etc? Or is it just going to be a dancer with lighting? If so, what will the stage or area be like?

dude. much helpfulness there! seriously.

i should have been WAY more clear in my original post, thats my bad. i didnt want to blab and then people to be able to read my ramblings :) but its going to be a live performance. 3min30 is the time limit for the song. we can only have three lights used, all white light. the stage area is the theatre at school which is effectively a black box (approx 24m x 16m). no stage per se, they'd be dancing on floor level..there is also a chance that we'd be in one of the dance studios which are your general studio..mirrors along one wall (which could be interesting since ive only three lights) and one wall is windows out into the hallway.

im still pondering what i want the end product to be like. different from the usual tool stuff that gets played (tech's at my school are all into metal and hardcore) or classical which for me would be an easy option.

the davy spillane track is pretty cool..and different so i might investigate him a bit more.

thanks so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

You could always try some post rock
    something like Mogwai,Larsen,Explosions in the sky,Mono or someone simmilar

• Advertisement

You could always try some post rock
    something like Mogwai,Larsen,Explosions in the sky,Mono or someone simmilar

thanks! *adds to list of stuff to youtube* :D

You're welcome:)

One important question, I assume the music has to be somewhat danceable to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

this may be complete b.s. but i heard the new beastie boys album id going to be all instrumental.

the more i say it the more ridiculous it sounds.

if it is i reckon it'd be crammed with interesting melodies and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

talk to Mike65 - he has some cool instrumental stuff of his own.

cormie wrote:
    You're welcome:)

One important question, I assume the music has to be somewhat danceable to?

:)

ugh, yes. silly dancing ;). i am taking that into consideration for sure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

If you want instrumental and modern the post-rock route like someone suggested earlier could be a good choice. He made some good suggestions. Add to the list "godspeed You! Black Emperor" and for an Irish connection "The Jimmy Cake", The Redneck Manifesto", "66e" and "The Coldspoon Conspiracy"

If you want instrumental and uptempo I might suggest "Junior Kickstart" by The Go! Team. Also it handily comes in at 3min 34secs

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMtLBXlMZ-s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

oh, i forgot to mention; God Is An Astronaut are an amazing instrumental band. Irish too!

judas101 wrote:
    this may be complete b.s. but i heard the new beastie boys album id going to be all instrumental.

the more i say it the more ridiculous it sounds.

if it is i reckon it'd be crammed with interesting melodies and what not.

now that would be interesting....

legologic wrote:
    If you want instrumental and modern the post-rock route like someone suggested earlier could be a good choice. He made some good suggestions. Add to the list "godspeed You! Black Emperor" and for an Irish connection "The Jimmy Cake", The Redneck Manifesto", "66e" and "The Coldspoon Conspiracy"

If you want instrumental and uptempo I might suggest "Junior Kickstart" by The Go! Team. Also it handily comes in at 3min 34secs

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMtLBXlMZ-s

thanks MUCHLY..even if i dont use them, im all about expanding my music collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

The Beasties new album is instrumental, it meant to be ring though.
    If your looking for loud and dancey and short, you can't go wrong with the Redneck Manifesto.
    Oh and try Five Style too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

"walls get Smaller" by "the music"

great instrumental track that builds up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The new Beasties is supposed to be weak.Better going into their back catalogue and finding some instrumental versions of their albums.

Rodrigo and The Go! Team are good suggestions.As well...

DJ Shadow - Entroducing
    RJD2 - Deadringer
    The Field - This Little Heart Beats So Fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 therrag

Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness is a good instrumental by the pumpkins ,might be a bit short though 2 min 52 secs. Great piano Piece.

I was going to suggest that myself earlier but didn't. I don't think it's a song you dance to really, more one where you sit and watch the sun rise in autumn:o

ellenmelon, are you allowed use slow motion shots and all that or does it have to be real time and will their be lighting effects such as flashing lights, moving spotlights etc or is it simply 3 fixed lights?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    I was going to suggest that myself earlier but didn't. I don't think it's a song you dance to really, more one where you sit and watch the sun rise in autumn:o

ellenmelon, are you allowed use slow motion shots and all that or does it have to be real time and will their be lighting effects such as flashing lights, moving spotlights etc or is it simply 3 fixed lights?

hey..its not being filmed. it will eventually be a live performance. as for lighting? havent a clue as i dont start it till im back at college in a couple of weeks. for ease, ill probably just rig the lights in a static position and do some chase sequences of varying speeds (i spose you could call it a 'flashing lights' sequence) or something. wont know till im on the desk having a play around.
    :)

Double C wrote:
    The Beasties new album is instrumental, it meant to be ring though.
    If your looking for loud and dancey and short, you can't go wrong with the Redneck Manifesto.
    Oh and try Five Style too.

am loving redneck manifesto from what ive listened to so far :) thanks!

Orizio wrote:
    The new Beasties is supposed to be weak.Better going into their back catalogue and finding some instrumental versions of their albums.

Rodrigo and The Go! Team are good suggestions.As well...

DJ Shadow - Entroducing
    RJD2 - Deadringer
    The Field - This Little Heart Beats So Fast

*adds to list* thanks :)

Advertisement