Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

where to start - AE111

Options
  • 25-06-2007 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

right folks picked myself up an AE111 Trueno a few months back and have a little cash spare. Was thinking doing some tuning to it. What would be the first options.

from what I can see there's nothing done to the car not even an after market exhaust.

was considering getting the seats re trimmed as well coz the interior trim is just down right ugly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

are the alloys standard? change them to some nice ones, get a nice exhaust, retrim the interior and then start researching what the best engine mods are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

draffodx wrote:
    are the alloys standard? change them to some nice ones, get a nice exhaust, retrim the interior and then start researching what the best engine mods are

GZ racing alloys 15 ", came with it they look ok yeah they could be bigger but I don't want to draw too much attention I have to park on the street at night.
    At the minute I've black leatherette on the seats. just picked them up in a motor factors they fit pretty well but I do plan on doing the interior in a black leather with blue piping.

if i change just the back box would that give a performance increase or simply make it noisier. the way i see it there's no point putting something like that on unless there is a benefit in relation to performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dade wrote:

if i change just the back box would that give a performance increase or simply make it noisier. the way i see it there's no point putting something like that on unless there is a benefit in relation to performance.

not noticable performance no, you'd need a full straight through exhaust system to be honest, which will be expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

draffodx wrote:
    not noticable performance no, you'd need a full straight through exhaust system to be honest, which will be expensive!

And even that would only give marginal gains over a de-cat, and be annoyingly loud (for you and neighbours).

These engines can be tuned a little by replacing the cams, porting, and a few other odds and ends, but the truth is that you'll spend good money just to get the official power output that Toyota claimed (167bhp IIRC, they were lying, 145-150bhp is more accurate) and be pushed to get much more. A decent air-filter will probably help a little and sound a little better. The truth is that these are not ideal cars to tune (unlike their 16v ancestors).

Personally, if I had money to spend on one and didn't want to replace it, I'd put on lightweight wheels (15in magnesium alloys), good tyres (good for wet and not too low profile), make sure that the suspension is as original (get it aligned) and maybe fit nicer seats (not lower ones, it's not a sports car so sitting any lower would just look silly and make it more difficult to drive).

Advertisement