Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda checkpoints in D6-ish area

Options
  • 25-06-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone see the amount of Garda checks aroung this area?

I was bagged twice in the space of a week on the road leading off the M50 towards Templeogue, and was tax and insurance checked just before Rathgar, but i also got this check: ...

Dropping a friend off in a residential inlet in Harold's Cross after the KCR(or whatever that place it), normal enough checkpoint, the ban garda asked for my license, no problem, then proceeded to look wild eyed at it as she seemed to compare it against the reg at the front of the car?!?!

There's nothing on my/a license about the car you're driving, anyone know what this was about, i don't talk to Gardas, especially in these situations if i can help it, as i wouldn't give them the excuse to dispatch me with a smart quip comment or them stonewalling me.

i work in Citywest and drive through Tallaght and Jobstown the whole time and never see checkpoints here... hmmm

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can't think of any possible connection between your license and your car reg.

If your license, insurance, NCT etc. are all in order don't worry about checkpoints at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So the point you're trying to make us that the Gardai (and whatever a Ban Garda is these days) shouldn't be bothering the fine upstanding citizens of Dublin 6 as they always have their road tax and insurance up to date and would never dream of having alcohol and drive but should concentrate their efforts to the lower classes of Dublin 24 ? :confused: You're looking for a good kick in the nads if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

nads wrote:
    Hi,
    I work in Citywest and drive through Tallaght and Jobstown the whole time and never see checkpoints here... hmmm

ummm... tar... brush... everyone (or something).

Where did The General live again?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

nads wrote:

i work in Citywest and drive through Tallaght and Jobstown the whole time and never see checkpoints here... hmmm

I live in Tallaght and there are often checkpoints in Jobstown, yer talking outa yer arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

Jip wrote:
    So the point you're trying to make us that the Gardai (and whatever a Ban Garda is these days) shouldn't be bothering the fine upstanding citizens of Dublin 6 as they always have their road tax and insurance up to date and would never dream of having alcohol and drive but should concentrate their efforts to the lower classes of Dublin 24 ? :confused: You're looking for a good kick in the nads if this is the case.

Lookit, i'm from Coolock, have lived in East Wall and claim no links to Jobstown, but drive around there ALOT.

The main point i was making was the stupid check with my license that's all, let's not go nuts j*sus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

C'mon Nads, cop yerself on. This is Boards.

The whole point of replying to someones post is so that we can completely misinterpret his post and accuse him of racism/bigotry/paedophilia/sexual inadequacy/speeding*

Anyway...I've never had them check my license against the reg ('cos as has been said...theres no connection), but honest to God...it seems as if every time I get stopped at a checkpoint, I get asked for my license.
    I dont have a problem with it, because I always have it with me, and they're just doing their job....but it doesnt appear as if the couple of drivers in front of me are asked. I often wonder what would happen if I politely asked if there was any particular reason they ask for a license, and emphasise that I'm not being a smartarse, but genuinely curious.

I haven't had the balls yet though :D

I have a theory that I'm a dead ringer for some guy on the Most Wanted List, and I'm always a hairsbreadth from being cuffed and taken into custody...

*delete as appropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Well explain then if all you're complaining about is checking your licence what's the final comment got to do with anything, what does it even mean ?

Shiva wrote:
    I dont have a problem with it, because I always have it with me,

Well we are required by law to carry it now.:D

But I have to say that I have never been asked for my Liscence when stopped at a check point, is this common? or does it come down to the type of car people are driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Well we are required by law to carry it now.:D

But I have to say that I have never been asked for my Liscence when stopped at a check point, is this common? or does it come down to the type of car people are driving?

Oh yeah, I know...I dont have a problem with it, because I always carried it anyway, even before we were required to. And the car is always taxed and insured.

*shrugs*

Mebbee I just look suspicious with the balaclava on.

could be :D

One time I was stopped at a check point a couple of years ago, and my mate in the car with me was amazed a how polite the Garda was, he reckoned it was 'cos of my car, was driving a C180 then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I get stopped at checkpoints quite a bit in the Ballycullen/Firhouse/Old Bawn area. Last saturday night was the last time. He had one look into the car and waved us on. I told him that cars were doing u-turns up the road and he seemed very glad to hear that. (Off the bike went up the road!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

And if the Guards were all drinking coffee in the station you would complain as well its their job so what would you suggest they do if you watch/listen to the news they have got alot of arrests at these checkpoints and if you don't want to talk then they wil probably let you sit at the side of the road til they are happy with you and your car, talk about moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I think it could well have a certain amount to do with it. Was only asked once before I got the GTI, but now it's every time, and a few times now they've done a walk around the car, looked into all the lights, asked me to put on the brake lights etc... Wouldn't even mind that so much if I'd had some stupid looking aftermarket lights on it either, but they're all original. Eventually they don't find anything wrong and wave me on with a "go on", as if they're letting me away with something or disappointed I wasn't a boy racer or something.

But like I said, a couple of times that's happened (on the N11 near Cabinteely), but never happened once when I was in the Fiesta...

Happened me as well but once they (and they do) get to know the car and the driver you normally sail throught the checkpoints, I normally get stopped in my 17year old heap of dirt I use most times not my M3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

talk about reading into what the guy is saying! He wasn't trying to be biggot/racist etc.. Just saying there are lots of checks in one part of dublin and feck all in another. end of!
    Anyway i know exactly what you mean... the d6ish area is renowned for garda checks everywhere. In a small enough area you have terenure garda station, rathfarnham garda station, rathmines garda station etc..
    The run down from the m50 to templeogue road is notorious. Another notorious site is the road from rathfarnham shopping center (bushy park road).
    That said, the guards in that area have always been decent and courteous to me when i was stopped. Ban garda even congratulated me on new car and wished me well with it. .

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

I travel a lot to Dublin from Northern Ireland in a northern/UK registered car. I used to drive a sensible boring diesel Vectra and I never once got stopped by a Garda at a check point but came across many of them.

Recently I changed cars to an Alfa Romeo and since then at every checkpoint I have come across (bar one) I have been asked for a licence, had the car checked over, been quizzed/warned about some of the mods legality (they are all legal and none are even what I would describe as drastic), had my tyres checked, been asked to apply brake lights, asked to show Insurance, asked to rev the engine to assess exhaust noise and numerous other things in any combination of some or all of the above. I even got given out to for no NCT or Insurance disc on the window with the Garda failing to fathom the complexity of me being a non-Irish resident driving a non-Irish registered car (i do have a Dublin accent which probably confused him).

I really think it is the car, maybe they just suspect that a new(ish) Alfa is more likely to be a stolen car than an oldish Vectra but it still does not explain the lengths some Gardai seem to go to in looking for a fault with the car. A simple registration check would assess it as reported stolen or not. I would far prefer if they are just doing this to delay for time so a check can be made that they ask me to pull over and wait and not seemingly go about the car picking at it and generally seeming like they are hassling the driver while waiting for their check results to come back.

Edit: I was born and bred in D6 and never remember it like this when I still lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

OKenora wrote:
    A simple registration check would assess it as reported stolen or not.

Woa there, Tiger - you're assuming they have some form of over-the-air data gathering/checking device... for Irish cars to begin with, never mind foreign ones, LOL! 'Tis a big-@ss -sumption, 'tis is :D

ambro25 wrote:
    Woa there, Tiger - you're assuming they have some form of over-the-air data gathering/checking device... for Irish cars to begin with, never mind foreign ones, LOL! 'Tis a big-@ss -sumption, 'tis is :D

How many people wake up in the morning to find their car stolen in the night so how would the Garda know at 3am in the morning, if you are tucked up asleep in bed if your car was stolen or not

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ohh my lord the Guuuurds were stupping cuurs in Dublin 6. What ever will they be doing next

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chief--- wrote:
    Ohh my lord the Guuuurds were stupping cuurs in Dublin 6. What ever will they be doing next

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably driving around D4 in 05 or 06 Ford Mondeos :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

This is such a stupid post. you got stopped at a checkpoint and asked for your license Big Deal, it happens to thousands of people every day and they dont come on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

How many people wake up in the morning to find their car stolen in the night so how would the Garda know at 3am in the morning, if you are tucked up asleep in bed if your car was stolen or not

car registered to a 52 year old woman from Terenure would stick out a bit if being driven by a 21 year old from "insert area", would it not ? Far more suspicious than a northern reg car being driven on a Northern licence with Northern insurance and registered at a Northern address, surely ?

Don't tell me the Gardai do not have an over the air instant system in place, ffs it's 2007. Up here the traffic cars have an in car online system that can read the reg while driving and report back to the policemen in the car as to the Tax, MOT, Registered Keeper and insurance status of the car....

OKenora wrote:
    car registered to a 52 year old woman from Terenure would stick out a bit if being driven by a 21 year old from "insert area", would it not ? Far more suspicious than a northern reg car being driven on a Northern licence with Northern insurance and registered at a Northern address, surely ?

Don't tell me the Gardai do not have an over the air instant system in place, ffs it's 2007. Up here the traffic cars have an in car online system that can read the reg while driving and report back to the policemen in the car as to the Tax, MOT, Registered Keeper and insurance status of the car....

That system is not in full operation here yet and and how would the guards know how old the registered owner of a car is and if the car is not reported stolen as I said by the owner until the morning when they get up how would they know

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

E@gle. wrote:
    This is such a stupid post. you got stopped at a checkpoint and asked for your license Big Deal, it happens to thousands of people every day and they dont come on here about it.

The OP isn't about just being stopped - it's asking about the unusual checking of the reg plate seemingly against the license. Read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

OKenora wrote:
    Don't tell me the Gardai do not have an over the air instant system in place, ffs it's 2007.

I don't know, I was only jesting (... I think!)

Although it would absolutely not surprise me if they didn't yet... 2007 or not :D

There's a gulf... nay, a galaxy, between the UK DVLA and the IE equivalent in terms of information processing "efficiency" (I have dealt with both repeatedly).

And I have read time and again about Guards (and others) giving out about the very lacklustre standard of patrol car equipment etc. So to ask that the "IE DVLA" interface their data with patrols in Real-Time... :rolleyes:

Moreover, I get the distinct impression that none of the data you're on about (car ownership, NCT, tax, licenses, insurance status, etc.) is centrally stored anywhere in the Republic yet.

Advertisement