Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea .. no money !!???

• 25-06-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Whats going on with Chelsea ??

Has Abro. finally lost all interest in the club and this is his way of
    getting out ?

I mean we aren't signing ANYBODY ?? .. apart from a few freebies ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It costs big signing-on fees to sign 'Frees'. Also there's the 2nd £8mil to be paid for Obi Mikel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In reality, do Chelsea really need to strengthen?

Probably they need one or two more utility defenders but that's it.

J.Cole was a big loss last season so having him back is similar to a new signing.

New players coming through like Mikel, Kalou and Diarra all look really good. Adding new second string players(which is what any new signings would be) woudl just mess up their development.

I mean who would you like to see at the club? Obviously there's a couple like D.Villa or Torres that would be a bonus to any team, but apart from that, there's no big names around this summer that would improve things.

Malouda and Ribery are the only two names that have gone around so far....Obviously Ribery is unavailable now but I'd take Cole and Robben any day.

A Cole
    Terry
    Ricky C
    Essien
    Lampard
    Ballack
    JCole
    Drogba
    Shevchenko

That's 9 outfield players that are close to untouchable. I know Shevchenko and Ballack haven't settled but anyone else would probably have the same problem.

Add to that; Kalou, Robben, Sidwell, Mikel, Diarra, Khalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

a crap load of money has been spent since RA tooko over - it should need crap loads more to be spent every summer.

All chelsae lacked last season was a bit of luck with injuries and some back up in defence. One of the free transfers has backed up the defence, and another will cover the absence of Essien in the new year.

Chelsea simply don't need to spend loads to get back on top; the squad they have is already capable, and with a bit of luck - Mikel, Shevchenko and Kalou will grow into their roles and improve, while Robben might stay injury free long enough to add something to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

at first I was happy .. I didn't want big signings since Ballack and Shevy didn't work out so well..

but then when I see bookies changing the odds for Chelsea .. (they are no longer favs for the prem .. joint favs now with united) ..

to me it seems RA is losing interest, unless he has taken some good advice and told not to spend too much this summer since it's not needed.

I was expecting one big signing this summer .. I suppose there is still time..

jackdaw wrote:
    at first I was happy .. I didn't want big signings since Ballack and Shevy didn't work out so well..

but then when I see bookies changing the odds for Chelsea .. (they are no longer favs for the prem .. joint favs now with united) ..

to me it seems RA is losing interest, unless he has taken some good advice and told not to spend too much this summer since it's not needed.

I was expecting one big signing this summer .. I suppose there is still time..
    where would a big name signing go? the only one i can think of is Alves for right back - every other position already has a player holding it down. However, i don't think chelsea's style is right for Alves, as Morinho likes his full backs to sit back and defend as opposed to bomb on, and if you don't let Alves bomb on there isn't much point to him being there.

• Advertisement

i wanted a good striker to replace Drogs and Kalou for the african nations cup ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Chelsea need to spend big to move away from a 4-4-2 with four central midfielders, but I don't think they are going to.
    Since that's the case, they have strengthened in defence with the inevitable purcahse of Alex (assuming they get a work permit) They have Ben-Haim to provide further cover. They are fine at CB, they are obviously fine at LB, but they are still weakish at RB. Ferreira seems to have lost his ability, and i've no idea why. I think they need a top class RB to come in, not Alves, he isn't good enough defensively for a team like Chelsea, but to be honest, I don't know who.

I think it's clear that Mourinho is sticking to a 4-4-2 with four central midfielders mostly, in which case, his summer signings are good, free transfers, strengthen the squad more, with players who know they have to work their way into the team, but don't expect it, so won't cause much discontent.
    I think big money could be spent on a RB, and I also think big money could be spent on the youth prospects, but we won't hear about that.

Chelsea's squad is pretty damm good for their formation, and with a couple of signings, they are fine. They have no aging players to replace (unlike United, who had to replace Giggs and Scholes this summer, which they did)

and dont say Shevchenko .. I wanted a "good" striker !! ;)

jackdaw wrote:
    i wanted a good striker to replace Drogs and Kalou for the african nations cup ..
    Did Kalou finally given in and decide to play for the same coutry as his brother then? I'm surprised they would call him up, considering the amount of effort he put in to trying to play for the Dutch national side. If he were Irish i'd want him to bugger off.

As for strikers; you would have Shevchenko, Sinclair, Sahar and Pizzaro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think Chelsea need to spend big to move away from a 4-4-2 with four central midfielders, but I don't think they are going to.

They spent big (and sold cheaply, in the case of the Duffer) to move to a narrow 4-4-2, so I doubt they've any intention to revert to anoter system.

On the topic at hand, Chelsea don't need any new faces. If they can keep their squad relatively free of injury, the only potential banana skin is the African Nations cup, and that's only for a handful of matches. They've got to be favourites for the league next year.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Since that's the case, they have strengthened in defence with the inevitable purcahse of Alex (assuming they get a work permit) They have Ben-Haim to provide further cover. They are fine at CB, they are obviously fine at LB, but they are still weakish at RB. Ferreira seems to have lost his ability, and i've no idea why. I think they need a top class RB to come in, not Alves, he isn't good enough defensively for a team like Chelsea, but to be honest, I don't know who.
    I think Glen Johnson should be given a go - he did pretty well for pompey last season, and he certainly has the potential required.

another thing .. all the teams official websites have news on signings ..
    rumors etc ..

Chelsea have nothing .. they have .. Final Stats 06/07 season released!
    Referee issues!
    Chelsea breaks now on sale!!

a sign of F*CK all going on at the club ..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

There has a to come a time when Chelsea FC becomes self-sufficient, can't rely on the Abramovich tit forever. I think Abramovich is right in not bank-rolling the club's transfer coffers this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I think Chelsea have reached saturation point at this stage. they don't need to strengthen the squad by 5 world class players anymore.

The club is still miles away from being self-sufficient, and it's only gotten worse, considering the increased wages they will have now because of free transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Call me whatever you want but I would love nothing more than Abramovic to pull out tomorrow leaving Chelsea to foot their own wage bill and see what happens.
    Reap what you sow.

Of course maybe Im just a bitter arsenal fan with no money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

jackdaw wrote:

Kalou has declared for Holland as far as I know.

jackdaw wrote:
    and dont say Shevchenko .. I wanted a "good" striker !! ;)

2nd highest Goal Scorer ever in European club football.

Highest Ever goal Scorer in The Champions League.

Golden boot in Italy 4 times in Seven Years.

30+ goals a season for over 10 years.

Highest ever goal scorer for one of the most sucessfull club teams in the world.

Top goal scorer in the european section of the last world cup qualifiers.

All around Legend.

Yeah he's ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Seaneh wrote:
    Yeah he's ****e.
    He was last year

One bad season in his whole professional career, a season which he started injured with no pre-season and played most of with an injury, for a team which he shares no common language with any of the players and is expected to adapt to long balls after being supplied by the best midfeild in europe for the last 7 years.

Give the man a break, if scholes or giggs have one bad season do they automatically become ****e?

Some of the people on here are either insane or moronic.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote:
    Kalou has declared for Holland as far as I know.
    no, he hasn't.

From wikipedia:

Kalou appealed the decision and took the matter to a court of law, gaining a victory on December 9 2005 when the judge ordered Verdonk to re-consider whether or not Kalou could be considered for accelerated naturalization. Verdonk has decided to appeal, placing the matter before the Council of State. Kalou has since then publicly stated he has given up hope of ever attaining the Dutch nationality.

Made is debut of Ivory Coast on February 6th 2007.

ah, remember readin last summer that he "owed" his life to the netherlands etc...

Can't see him being the most popular player for the ivory coast.

Is his brother still national captian?

is expected to adapt to long balls after being supplied by the best midfeild in europe for the last 7 years.

That's why he's ****, it's why he probably won't make it at Chelsea either, it's not like they are gona suddenly change their play. He'll do better next year, no doubt, but I don't think he'll reach his Milan heights again. If he was at United or Arsenal I think it'd be a diff story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Seaneh wrote:
    2nd highest Goal Scorer ever in European club football.

Highest Ever goal Scorer in The Champions League.

Golden boot in Italy 4 times in Seven Years.

30+ goals a season for over 10 years.

Highest ever goal scorer for one of the most sucessfull club teams in the world.

Top goal scorer in the european section of the last world cup qualifiers.

All around Legend.

Yeah he's ****e.

Whle I agree with most of what you have siad didnt Gunnar Nordahl score more goals for milan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Chelsea have spent a colossal amount of money in the past few years so it was time for them to take a step back. A player like Sidwell won't add alot though, he'll be lucky to get a game. It'll be the same as Scott Parker, he'll hang around for a couple of seasons, pocket a heap of money and then move on to get first team football. And good luck to him.

Shevchenko is worth persevering with for another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ranieri wasted alot of money, parker, Johnson, crespo, geremi etc i think he got players for the sake of buying players. sure they've played games, but you don't spend that sort of cash on players who played so few games. I'd say that factored into it. Jose pretty much got rid of most of Ranieri's signings.

As for Sheva, Drogba was'nt too impressive in his first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Most chelsea fans loved scott parker. The one problem I had with mourinh when he came in was the way he treated him. As for Sidwell, at least we have back up for Essien during that african cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chelsea have enough senior players. The cash is being spent now on prospects for the academy. Abramovich is building a dynasty - that needs to be self sufficient in players (or as much as is possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

For the last 2 years Chelsea have being buying up any hot prospects they could get their hands on, they can't be far off a couple breaking through, Sahar for instance.

I think Chelsea may suffer a little during the African Cup of Nations, especially if Mikel's ban for Nigeria get's recinded. They would be losing 5 players Drogba, Kalou, Geremi, Essien and Mikel

Peter Kenyon has always been shrewd enough to know that Abramovich's money wouldn't last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

evilhomer wrote:
    For the last 2 years Chelsea have being buying up any hot prospects they could get their hands on, they can't be far off a couple breaking through, Sahar for instance.

I think Chelsea may suffer a little during the African Cup of Nations, especially if Mikel's ban for Nigeria get's recinded. They would be losing 5 players Drogba, Kalou, Geremi, Essien and Mikel

Peter Kenyon has always been shrewd enough to know that Abramovich's money wouldn't last forever.

That still leaves a midfield that could consist of any 4 of Sidwell, Lampard, Ballack, Makalele, Diarra, Cole, Robben, and then a forward lineup of Shevchenko and Pizarro. Doesnt sound too bad! I rate Pizarro very highly myself and think he could do a lot of damage this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Whle I agree with most of what you have siad didnt Gunnar Nordahl score more goals for milan?

He did indeed. Over 200 iirc compared to Sheva's 130...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

It is possible that the reason that the chequebook isn't coming out is that they waiting for Grant to come in from Pompey?
    I still think an RB is a must and if SWP goes, a wide man will have to come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Grant ? is this the assistant manager ?

jackdaw wrote:
    Why would they be favourites when they didnt win last season and the team that did has brought in a proven robust midfielder (Hargreaves) and a couple of guys with huge potential (Nani and Anderson)? Seems logical for United to be favourites. Who really cares who favouritesare anyway!?!

jackdaw wrote:
    Was listening to a European journalist on radio a few weeks ago (think it was Hunter but dont wanna committ to that cos Im not 100% sure) and he said that since the divorce Abramovic is not as keen to plough millions into Chelski since he now has a new young girlfriend and new interests in his life.

I find it funny that Chelsea fans are moaning considering they are seen in many peoples eyes to be a bit of a joke team in that bought their success...... This is an opportunity for Chelsea to shrug that tag (sort of) but the fans are moaning that theyre not spending?! They have spend a stupid amount of money in recent years, it had to stop at some stage.

I find it funny that Chelsea fans are moaning considering they are seen in many peoples eyes to be a bit of a joke team in that bought their success...... This is an opportunity for Chelsea to shrug that tag (sort of) but the fans are moaning that theyre not spending?! They have spend a stupid amount of money in recent years, it had to stop at some stage.

Don't see many chelsea moaning. On the contrary many of us will tell you that we don't need to spend big this term.

I do agree with you though that the spending had to stop at some stage. Nobody could keep that up. Opposing fans say Chelsea are a joke team because well it helps them cope better with it to be honest. I used to be the same, having a go at united for no reason other than it made me feel better about the situation all through the 90's. Sure thats why you have a go at other teams in the first place.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    Don't see many chelsea moaning. On the contrary many of us will tell you that we don't need to spend big this term.

I do agree with you though that the spending had to stop at some stage. Nobody could keep that up. Opposing fans say Chelsea are a joke team because well it helps them cope better with it to be honest. I used to be the same, having a go at united for no reason other than it made me feel better about the situation all through the 90's. Sure thats why you have a go at other teams in the first place.

There were posts on this thread complaining that they were hoping for another signing or big name.

Opposing fans say it but it has a bit more credence because they went from 1 league title ever and 2 days from administration to top contenders in the blink of an eye (or swipe of a credit card!!;) ) But all that aside, and Im a United fan, this is a chance for Chelsea to somewhat prove they can achieve without spending 100million a summer......

Opposing fans say it but it has a bit more credence because they went from 1 league title ever and 2 days from administration to top contenders in the blink of an eye (or swipe of a credit card!!;) ) But all that aside, and Im a United fan, this is a chance for Chelsea to somewhat prove they can achieve without spending 100million a summer......

Ok well they are fair points so I'll agree with you here. On the other hand all the same I've read over the past year or so on here how people don't and never want to see clubs go to the wall. So would people have prefered to see Chelsea go to the wall 2 years ago or be saved like they were?

The main truth is, that the situation was different and Chelsea were saved those years back and had been a mid table since then nobody would mind. They would not be harming United's changes of winning a league nor anyone elses for that matter. So why should it be different in this case? Now I already know what you or most would say but you see where I'm going with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

There is no need to spend big this season, we just have to get in one or two back up players. There is always one or two big players ya'd like to see at yer club (for me, David Villa :P) but in reality there is no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

12 million chelsea bid for Malouda supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Seaneh wrote:

Some of the people on here are either insane or moronic.

..or gasp!!! INSANE MORONS!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement