Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A call to arms (sort off) Cancel your line rental now..

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this post is gona stay or whatever but i will keep it short and to the point.

For anybody on FWA or using mobile technology or a bit of string and two cans please do what i did 20mins after pluging my 3data modem in and cancel your line.

If you don't need it get rid of it. As i said im gona keep it short and don't really think i want to or need to go into to much detail as to the whys and what if's. At the end of the day its all we can do to you know who.... ****ing ***** that they are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

erm? why?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Some people require a landline or what a landline because they want a local telephone number, while Three's offering is nice I don't believe it allows VoIP traffic, nor are the pings very suitable for VoIP services so its hardly a replacement for many people.

In theory many people would love to not pay line rental but at the end of the day alot of the time its required or needed to use the services they want

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

GPRS/3G/HSDPA the downstream can be OK for VOIP, if allowed. But the mobile operators are VERY short of upstream bandwidth, only 70k to 128k for the whole Sector. If your VOIP defaults to G711 instead of G729, iLBC, GSM or speex (which is common) then one call is all a cell can support, and if folks are sending email, that will stutter as there is no QOS for VOIP.

make sure your phone and VOIP operator both support a low bitrate codec like speex, iLBC or G.729. You need same codec at both ends of call. So the other party must have same codec on VOIP to VOIP on same VOIP operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

not sure about those upload figures, im using Vodafone in 3G mode at the moment in Dublin City and its going smoothly at 380kbps/300kbps via www.irishisptest.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure about Ireland but don't providers in the UK block VoIP traffic...t-mobile comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Cabaal wrote:
    Not sure about Ireland but don't providers in the UK block VoIP traffic...t-mobile comes to mind

Depends on the provider I think. Wireless operator tend to be best for allowing VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If they have got 384 k upstream then maybe 4x G711 SIP calls and nothing else on a Sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

G.whatever over mobile broadband sounds like a recipe for very poor sound quality. Skype should work ok because it can handle packet loss and the codec can do variable bitstreams depending on the connection quality. I know a few people with 3's 3G broadband who use Skype without any problems.

I hope it works out for you.

Personally I would rather stick pins in my balls rather than use vodafones 3G network over DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 Ireland do not block VoIP or Skype, nor do they have any terms against it.

Skype works absolutely fantastically, by the way. Both on Vodafone and 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

ronoc wrote:
    I hope it works out for you.

Personally I would rather stick pins in my balls rather than use vodafones 3G network over DSL.

Perhaps you just felt you had something to say, im not sure? but i did say people with FWA or a mobiledata network, i said nothing about people with copper. What you do at home with your parents is up to you really. No need to share.

Just singed up with freespeech.ie for VOIP and even get a local number.
    Well worth it if works out, and for the amount of calls made from a landline these days i can't see why not

Advertisement