Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding and no tax.

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi, i asked about this in the legal forum but no one got back to me.

Basically, last November i got stopped at a check point for having no tax. I was putting it off alot and i did get it shortly after, produced etc. Two weeks later i got caught speeding (not something i do often, it was early on a saturday morning and i was late for something).

So i recieved both fines in the post but when i tried to pay them in a local post office (Alittle over two months later), i was told it was too late to pay them and the lady gave me some receipts, showing how i tried to pay. So i rang the fine offices and the woman on the phone said all i could do now is wait for my summons.

Its nearly 9 months since and i haven't gotten any? how long do these things usually take?

Any info would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It could take a year. I would suggest to go to a garda station and get them to check on their computer to see if there is anything about a summons. I was told I was going to court for driving alone on a provisional and after 6 months when nothing happened, I went to a garda station and they said there was nothing on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Normally a summons has to be issued within six months of the offence occuring. However, due to the fact that you were initially given a fixed penalty fine, I'm not 100% sure if the rules are the same. The six months may be counted from the date the fine was to be be paid by, or the rules may be completely different.

Not that helpful, I know, but if it's over nine months since the date the fine was due, you may be in the clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

I'm going to let it sit for another while. Thanks for the info lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe a summons has been issued, but went to an old or incorrect address, in which case you get done for non-appearance in court.

Call into a station and get it checked out rather than possibly letting it get worse.

Advertisement