Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest unfinished game?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

What's the oldest game you own that you have yet to finish (and really plan on doing so sometime in the future)?

For me, it's probably GTA:SA which is what 2004? Until last Xmas, it was GTA 3 (original), but I finally cleared that b*starding ship level while on my holidays.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

manic miner

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

China Miner (C64 Manic Miner Rip-off)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Sega master system, one of the first games I owned, one of the few games I haven't completed! I just didn't have the skills!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Flimbos quest C64

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

pwd wrote:
    manic miner
    Did anyone ever finish that lol.
    Mine would be Spellbound on the Amstrad cpc464 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

pwd wrote:
    manic miner
    You still own a copy of this, and a machine to play it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Spindizzy. I still have the tape but not the console to play it on :(
    I might try an emulator of it and see if I have the patients to finish it now that I'm older and wiser :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Mine has to be Elite I was nearly at Elite status but my tape where I saved game fcuked up on me :(

corblimey wrote:
    You still own a copy of this, and a machine to play it on?

Here you go http://www.xmixdrix.com/manicminer/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

By GTA:SA, how do you mean "finish" I finished the main storyline but never got around to all the extra sub missions and stuff. I don't think i've ever 100% completed a game. Once I get to the end of the story I usually lose interest.

About 2 years back I actually completed a game i'd been meaning to for years. I used to play Zool over at a friends house pack in '92 on his commodore amiga but I never finished it. Then in college I found a ROM for it for a SNES emulator. Over a period of about a week on my lunch breaks I played through the game again, was good for the nostalga, and i'm glad I did it now.

Another game which I really want to complete is UFO: Enemy Unknown. Again I used to play this game over a friends house on his old PC. But one weekend I couldnt make it over so he completed it without me. I've always wanted to get to the end myself. I've even got a version of it that will play from my USB stick but I can never get the time to complete it.

Most recently i'm yet to finish Doom 3 (got bored of the repetitive dark hallways, I was also playing Quake 4 at the time which was a far superior game) GRAW (really want to complete it but sometimes the levels are so frsutrating I leave the game for a couple of weeks and then forget to come back to it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I never bothered finishing GTA: SA either... got as far as just before the last level and then gave up.
    you need to control a certain amount of areas before you can start the mission, that's what put me off...

I have a few gamecube games that I never got around to finishing, but don't own anything older than that.
    I guess Eternal Darkness and Mario Sunshine are the two that I gave up on, even though they're decent games...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Another non-GTA finisher here. Don't know why... I suppose when the whole gameworld was unlocked I had no interest in any more scripted missions, just wanted to go around exploring and/or leaping off mountains on motorbikes.

The oldest game? Tricky one. Probably a few Mega Drive games. I remember as a kid never being able to defeat Scar at the end of the Lion King, and I just couldn't get past the post-hospital motorcycle level in Terminator 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another non-GTA finisher here. Don't know why... I suppose when the whole gameworld was unlocked I had no interest in any more scripted missions, just wanted to go around exploring and/or leaping off mountains on motorbikes.

The oldest game? Tricky one. Probably a few Mega Drive games. I remember as a kid never being able to defeat Scar at the end of the Lion King, and I just couldn't get past the post-hospital motorcycle level in Terminator 2.
    That motorcycle level in T2 took me about a fortnight to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

tman wrote:
    I guess Eternal Darkness

Your foolish man! This game should be played in its entirity, and then replayed when you unlock the extra thingy at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Ninja Gaiden.

I gave away my xbox when I got the 360 and the save game went with it :( and I had JUST beaten alma.

cow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sleepy wrote:
    That motorcycle level in T2 took me about a fortnight to beat!

Especially when you had to play the whole darn game again to get back to it :(
    And gave up on Eternal Darkness too, despite the greatness of the Sanity effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Can't really remember a game I haven't finished, I'm just replying to the GTA posters.

I can really see why you wouldn't be bothered getting 100% in the games. There is just so much little stuff to do. I did get 100% in III, VC, and SA but mostly cos I'm just that into the games. The rewards are great though. For SA, tank and Hydra spawn close to your grove street house are two of the things that come with 100%. Its just whether you think that getting all the little jobs done is worth having those rewards or not - I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I too gave up on Eternal Darkness... the big monster in the cathedral was just too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

crash bandicoot on the ps1. i dont know whether it was the first crash but i never finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Someone mentioned GTA3 there. I gave up on that when you had to do this mission where you blow up a bunch of Colombian coffee stalls all over the city within a time limit. None of them are on your map :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

There are plenty of old C64 games that I never completed but most of them weren't worth completing. The only one that I really wish I completed was Turrican 1.

However, there are a large amount of games on the Amiga that remain unfinished. MegaLoMania being one in particular. Highly addictive gameplay but tough as fook once you get to the World War I/II epoch.

I never managed to finish Syndicate either.

• Advertisement

Got silent hill 4 when it came out, never finished it. I have, and finished all the other silent hill games but I just gave up on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got to the final level of New Zealand Story twice, but as there were no save options back then I never had the patience to keep trying.

Apart from that, Captain Fizz and Buggy Boy on the Amiga are the oldest games I can remember not having finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got pissed off with Silent Hill 4 when I got to the point where it makes you play through all the levels all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hmmm, two that come to mind which I would like to finish are Final Fantasy 8 and Tomb Raider 3 on the PS1. Now that I have a PSP that can play these things I might actually get around to it. Also Chronicles of Riddick on Xbox, Zelda Ocarina on N64, Eternal Darkness, Metroid and Wind Waker on Gamecube, San Andreas, ICO and Shadow of the Colosuss on PS2. Yes I have them all, all hooked up under the TV in the bedroom and one day I will do them all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Stephen wrote:
    Someone mentioned GTA3 there. I gave up on that when you had to do this mission where you blow up a bunch of Colombian coffee stalls all over the city within a time limit. None of them are on your map :rolleyes:
    The timer only starts after you destroy the first one. Just drive around and find them all first - they'll become dots on your map then. When you have all the dots, hit the first one, and away you go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Sega master system, one of the first games I owned, one of the few games I haven't completed! I just didn't have the skills!:o
    Legend of a game.
    I don't know...super hang-on?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

The last ninja on the C64, hard work I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

EL_Loco wrote:
    The last ninja on the C64, hard work I tells ya!

Seconded!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it could be one of my old PS1 RPGs or Saturn gaems. Probably Star Ocean 2 or Vandal Hearts 2. I've a tonne of games that I haven't played, only tried to see if they worked dating back from the Saturn and PS1 era all the way to the latest consoles and PCs.

Actually I have system shock 1 that I still haven't played yet. I'll have to play it in Dosbox since it's working really well now.

I've got plenty of 8-bit roms that I'd love to finish as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

X-com Apocalypse for me, im so close to the end though.

Advertisement