Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest unfinished game?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

R-type delta - I only play it probably once a year at this point, and every time on level 6 I end up throwing the controller on the ground in a huff, cause i always get stuck at the same point. I've been trying for at least 5 years at this point.

F-Zero GX, still cannot beat the last story mission, or the diamond cup on Master difficulty.

Wonder boy III - I hate that cactus so goddamn much!!!

More Recently

ACE Combat 5 - cannot kill the last guy, game wasn't that great anyway so i'm not really that bothered.

EDIT: Also never finished all the levels in Lemmings(but then again, has anybody?)

Jip wrote:
    Bionic Commando ? Loved it on the C64.
    Had that on the NES. Awesome game. Wish I still had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Sega master system, one of the first games I owned, one of the few games I haven't completed! I just didn't have the skills!:o

Actually thats one i never completed also! Damn that game was hard(back in the day, probably still is now :D ), i only got to the second boss. Weren't each boss corresponded to Rock,Paper and Scissors?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ishmael wrote:
    R-type delta - I only play it probably once a year at this point, and every time on level 6 I end up throwing the controller on the ground in a huff, cause i always get stuck at the same point. I've been trying for at least 5 years at this point.

It wasn't that bad. I've played harder games. Still compared to games today it's pretty tough. Fantastic game all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ishmael wrote:
    F-Zero GX, still cannot beat the last story mission

****in deadly alright. Took me a couple of hours to get right. I didn't feel much better for it tbh. Was like getting an A in a completely useless test.

• Advertisement

I dont have this game anymore beause I sold my NES, but Low G Man was one tough game. Got it for a fiver in Dunnes way back in the early nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

There are plenty of old C64 games that I never completed but most of them weren't worth completing. The only one that I really wish I completed was Turrican 1.

However, there are a large amount of games on the Amiga that remain unfinished. MegaLoMania being one in particular. Highly addictive gameplay but tough as fook once you get to the World War I/II epoch.

I never managed to finish Syndicate either.

Great games both. I did manage to get to the very last level of MegaLoMania once, only to discover I hadn't saved enough men and got my ass handed to me. :(

But yea, Silkworm on the Atari ST for the oldest I haven't finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari 2600.

Granted I was only 11 when I played it, but I had no clue whatsoever how to play the game, let alone finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

I dont have this game anymore beause I sold my NES, but Low G Man was one tough game. Got it for a fiver in Dunnes way back in the early nineties.

That was a cool game!! Wasnt it two player, i remember playin that for months with my cousin. The levels just kept getting bigger and harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Too many games to name...but ill try anyway

S.W.I.V on the ST. The whole game was one massive level..so ive no idea how close or far away i ever was to finishing it!

Grim fandango. Ive owned it since 1998 and still not finished it. I plan on doing just that this weekend tho.

Ocarina of time. Just couldnt get past the water temple. Same story funnily enough with twilight princess. I gave up on that games water temple too.

Ghouls n ghosts. Had the ST version, just couldnt come anywhere near finishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

0ubliette wrote:
    Grim fandango. Ive owned it since 1998 and still not finished it. I plan on doing just that this weekend tho.

Ocarina of time. Just couldnt get past the water temple. Same story funnily enough with twilight princess. I gave up on that games water temple too.

Get cracking on Grim Fandango, great game.

With Ocarina of time i got a lend of it and as I neared the water temple my friend kept warning me 'you'll spend a week, maybe two on that temple alone'. I cracked it on the day I got to it! I was lucky though, there are some real sly nooks and stuff youve to keep a sharp eye out for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I spent 2 maybe 3 hours in the water temple. It was the toughest temple but I don't see how so many people could have got stuck on it. Only bad thing was that it was a pain in the arse at the best of times to raise and lower the water level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I spent 2 maybe 3 hours in the water temple. It was the toughest temple but I don't see how so many people could have got stuck on it. Only bad thing was that it was a pain in the arse at the best of times to raise and lower the water level.

i just dont have the patience for that kind of **** anymore. As i ge tolder i have less and less time for videogames...its sad, but i just cant sit down to 50 - 60 hour epics anymore. And puzzles that take longer thana few minutes to work out either get binned, or straight to walkthrough

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jip wrote:
    Bionic Commando ? Loved it on the C64.

No...this was much shiner and newer. It was a 2d world but the graphics were much more rich. His wrist thing was definately a sort of crackling lightning grabber...its hard to describe. It had an almost cartoonish futuristic theme.

Google does nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Final Fantasy VI and GTA:VC. DX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Zillah wrote:
    No...this was much shiner and newer. It was a 2d world but the graphics were much more rich. His wrist thing was definately a sort of crackling lightning grabber...its hard to describe. It had an almost cartoonish futuristic theme.

Google does nothing.
    Wild 9, perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_9
    Couldn't find a decent image of the electric grabber/weapon thing in use, but it sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Don't think I ever finished Hellbender... it came with the first PC I got, a Pentium 200MHz.
    Also, the Allies campaign in Red Alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

BopNiblets wrote:
    the Allies campaign in Red Alert.

Brings back bad memories!

the Axis campaign was fairly hard aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Actually, Its very easy to get stuck on the Dark link fight in there, because you don't have to have the fire magic which is the only bloody thing that'll kill him.

That pissed me off for weeks before i eventually got past it.

Rubbish Ishmael:

You could have just used the proper way of beating him.
    If you don't use the z locking he can't read and copy your moves and he becomes very easy to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Trode wrote:
    Wild 9, perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_9
    Couldn't find a decent image of the electric grabber/weapon thing in use, but it sounds right.

YES!! My God you genius, well done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have too too many half finished games in my collection, some I've got stuck into and then got stuck, like Ikaruga, some I've powered up once then got distracted by the next shiny thing to wander into my field of vision, like Powerdrome. I have some games I've nevereven placed in the drive, Shadow of Rome and some games in which I just got plain lost, DK64 and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

My oldest unfinished games would be from the NES: Digger T Rock, The Simpsons vs The Space Mutants, The Adventures of Rad Gravity, and most frustrating was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

My most embarrassing defeat was when I tried to play Mickey's Wild Adventure on the PS1, it was a Mickey Mouse game aimed for 4 years old, I could not get passed level 2 :( .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Legend of Dragoon on the ps1,cant beat the final boss,great rpg game though,good story good characters,very hard to level up in it though and you get very little money for battles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

alex the kid in miracle world on the sega master system for me

that was tricky

Advertisement