Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 BB Good For Games ?

• 25-06-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Ok when i say games im only playing WOW at my friends. Just wondering is 3's BB for my home computer good enough to play this game ?

And if i was to load up CS:S or BF2 what would it be like ?
    Anyone out there using 3's BB for WOW mostly if you could let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Bump!

Anyone use 3's BB for gaming at all ?

I think i will go with it, was down with them at lunch time and they told me i have 14 days to return it if i feel its not good enough for what i want it for. So if it works it works if not then return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey
    Ye i use it for gameing. So far had no problems with motorstorm on the ps3. Played bf2 and call of duty 2 on the pc with no problems also sniper elite on the pc which was a little jumpy at first but settels down after a moment or two. Thats all i've tried so far and all was good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm on breeze 2MB and it performs quite well.
    I'm partial to a bit of Halo online and it rarely lags.
    My ping times seem to be better than most other players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, but Breeze or any other fixed wireless is nothing like 3, 02 or Vodaphone's mobile 3G system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Expect real world latency to be between 100 and 200 milliseconds on a HSDPA network such as O2, Vodafone or 3.

In my experience, it's usually closer to 100 milliseconds, but don't bet on that. I would not get it if I intended to primarily use it for gaming. And remember, even if it was at or below 100 milliseconds (Vodafone seems to often give me pings of around 95 milliseconds at the moment), that would still be high for many games.

It is nowhere near DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Should be fine for WOW, thats not too latency dependant. CS:S and BF could be a bit dodgy though. Your ping could be hgh enough that the stricter servers will kick you for it. Say, >120ms

Well went and bought it yesterday and tryed it last night and this morning. Bad news is that it does not work, cant pick up any signal at all. I live 5 miles out from waterford city and about 2miles out from the outskirts of waterford city on the main cork road.

Here i cant get ADSL, wireless and now mobile BB. I checked 3's web site and it showed the areas that there network covers and mine was in it ( well at least i think it is ).

The only good thing is that the woman in the 3g shop said i had 14 days to return it if there are any problems. So i guess i will be doing that tomorrow.

Looks like now ill have to buy a 56k modem and get online that way.

Ok checked 3's website again and my location is well covered. Maybe the location i have it in my house ? I wonder if i bring it outside would it work, might just try it as a test. Hanging on straws i think but im not willing to give up yet !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

BadCharlie wrote:
    Ok checked 3's website again and my location is well covered. Maybe the location i have it in my house ? I wonder if i bring it outside would it work, might just try it as a test. Hanging on straws i think but im not willing to give up yet !!!

think some people are confusing 3 with IBB.

with 3 you will get latency to irish server's of about 100ms and to uk and america can be anything from 150-300ms I wouldn't think this was good enough for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

BadCharlie wrote:

Signal is crap indoors. Extend the cable and put it outside your topstory window. I didnt get any signal indoors. Now I can get 1-2 bars on a good day. Sometimes I don't get any bars but get on the network on HSPDA. You will get reduced speeds between 50-100kBps but its lot faster than 5 which you will get with Dial up :)

Xcellor wrote:
    Signal is crap indoors. Extend the cable and put it outside your topstory window. I didnt get any signal indoors. Now I can get 1-2 bars on a good day. Sometimes I don't get any bars but get on the network on HSPDA. You will get reduced speeds between 50-100kBps but its lot faster than 5 which you will get with Dial up :)

I got this little modem with a little flashing Green light. Dont know how i would even try and plug a cable into it :).

At the moment im picking up noting what so ever, Will move my computer to a window and put the modem outside. But to tell the truth i just don't think it will work anyways cause im never that lucky.

Will also try it in my brothers house who is close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

In HL2 at least you can rank the servers by latency. I used to play with 300ms pings by connecting to 300ms latency servers in the list. It jumped every now and again but was playable.

Most Pc games probably have a similar idea and I assume Xbox Live tries to match you to people with similar latency.

Well i finaly got it working. First i took it up to my brothers house and we had the little modem hanging out the window to get a connection. After that i knew that it had to work in my home. So i took it up to my attic and had it by a Velux roof light which gave me a 2 & 3 bar connection.

I then played WOW for about 2hours in that time i did lose connection to the server twice. After that i played some CS 1.6 and had a ping of about 130 upto 190.

Today if i get the time im going to bring it back down stairs and try a few other rooms. It works but i don't like losing connection every so offten. I guess i might have to put up with it as its the only thing that will work in my area.

First i took it up to my brothers house and we had the little modem hanging out the window to get a connection. After that i knew that it had to work in my home. So i took it up to my attic and had it by a Velux roof light which gave me a 2 & 3 bar connection.

Pretty soon these things are gona be like satellite dishes. Your gona see littel white modems with flickering lights hanging from windows every where.

This is what it must have been like 40yrs ago when people had to use indoor ariels to try and get a picture on tv, and most times you get a signal it's in the least practical place. I get my best signal in the middle of the back freakin garden ..

They really should come up with one that can sit outside somewhere in the rain.

brim4brim wrote:
    They really should come up with one that can sit outside somewhere in the rain.

Yes i totaly agree. I've ploughed through page after page for somekind of a diy booster antenna or something along them lines but theres noting out there. This signal issue and lack of an external antenna seems to be a big issue in South Africa and Australia also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

The laptop modems have a socket for an external aerial and you can buy a UMTS aerial and pigtail to connect them.

I guess the newer mouse-style modems don't have those sort of connections, and that that's what you have.

If you have a rubbish old PC around, you could turn that into a router: stick the modem and a wireless LAN on it, turn on Windows ICS and shove it up in the attic. I've done something similar with an old laptop and the PCMCIA datacard from 3. Takes a good bit of fiddling though - you'd need a basic working knowledge of networks.

smadger wrote:
    The laptop modems have a socket for an external aerial and you can buy a UMTS aerial and pigtail to connect them.

I guess the newer mouse-style modems don't have those sort of connections, and that that's what you have.

If you have a rubbish old PC around, you could turn that into a router: stick the modem and a wireless LAN on it, turn on Windows ICS and shove it up in the attic. I've done something similar with an old laptop and the PCMCIA datacard from 3. Takes a good bit of fiddling though - you'd need a basic working knowledge of networks.

Yeah that is a good point which i did not think about. Have rig 1 which could do that work so that could work all right. Going to try down stairs today if i have the time, and if that don't work then ill stick my old machine up in the attic i have all the wireless pci cards and modems.

Thanks for that imput.

smadger wrote:

The thing is though, this is a completely half-ass thing to have to do to get a basic service. 3 should have something. Its like they are trying to make it difficult to get on their service. Its like they've not realised they are a company and that more users = more profit.

Its just weird that they don't seem to be interested in coming up with solutions to get more people using their service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement