Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision Store: Inappropriate

Options
  • 25-06-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so on Saturday between 2.30pm and 3pm I was in my local Xtravision. I had my (almost) 3 year old daughter with me and next thing I hear "suck my cock", "fuck" and other such phrases.

Whatever film the staff had on it wasn't suitable to be showing during the day with kids coming into the store.

Mine was teh only child in at the time so I went up to the counter and told them I had a problem with it. They knocked it off and put on Superman.

I'm actually still annoyed over this and am tempted to email head office.

Am I over reacting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

no you're not over-reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Turning it off is all well and good but the dirty look I got from one of the staff made me think it was going back on the second I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I think the fact that they turned it off with out any issue should be the end of it,

But seems strange that they would even chance it

I have 2 friends working in the head office so I might ask for the top dogs email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i emailed their head office after being repeatedly over-charged and being treated rudely.
    Email was ignored.
    So you might be better off ringing if you do want to take it further.
    Or talk to the manager of that particular store.

• Advertisement

hmm, my post (#3) was a reply to WellyJ (#4).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

6th wrote:
    Ok so on Saturday between 2.30pm and 3pm I was in my local Xtravision. I had my (almost) 3 year old daughter with me and next thing I hear "suck my cock", "fuck" and other such phrases.

Whatever film the staff had on it wasn't suitable to be showing during the day with kids coming into the store.

Mine was teh only child in at the time so I went up to the counter and told them I had a problem with it. They knocked it off and put on Superman.

Am I over reacting?

You are over reacting.

Your child will hear that kind of language at some point and its hardly likely to stunt his/her growth.

They probably shouldnt have had it on in the store in order to protect the "delicate sensibilities" and the corporate image but in all honesty, if it has upset you this much, perhaps it might be worth taking the time to examine your own reactions and moral propensity for outrage because it seems a little imbalanced.

You are over reacting.

Your child will hear that kind of language at some point and its hardly likely to stunt his/her growth.

No one in my house uses foul language around my child. I hear 4 year olds shouting & cursing at their parents/siblings and will not have my children acting like that.
    They probably shouldnt have had it on in the store in order to protect the "delicate sensibilities" and the corporate image

Well if the movie was 15 or 18 then it shouldnt be shown where there can be children under that age.

but in all honesty, if it has upset you this much, perhaps it might be worth taking the time to examine your own reactions and moral propensity for outrage because it seems a little imbalanced.

Where do you see an imbalance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You're over reacting.

Chances are your child has payed more attention to what they heard now that you made a big deal out of it.

No I handed my kid a bright colour DVD box and had a quiet word - she didnt hear me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You're over reacting.

Chances are your child has payed more attention to what they heard now that you made a big deal out of it.

I don't think so - if a parent decides that they don't want their child exposed to that kind of language then they shouldn't have to avoid shops in the middle of the day.

It's not like it was just a customer mouthing off either - it was something that the shop was broadcasting.

The complaint probably won't get anywhere, however, because people working in those shops just put on something they want to watch to pass the time.

Maybe a call to Joe might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I think it's a policy that employees can't air certain rated films due to this exact situation. I knew someone who worked there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

6th - Good for you. I would have done the same myself.
    Xtravision is a store that caters for all ages & one should reasonably expect that children would not be exposed to violence/bad language/sex on movies playing in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

You are so right to complain. My local store is the very same. There have been times when I have been in early without my child and what they were showing was unsuitable for the time of day and if he was with me I would have complained.

Good for you for complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I worked there years ago - you're not allowed show anything over a 12's before 8/9pm at night .....give headoffice a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

6th wrote:

Am I over reacting?

Hi 6th, I worked for XV in my college days. They take this VERY seriously!! I would ring Head Office and ask to be put through to the Customer Support Departmant. The girls in there are employed solely for this purpose.

I imagine what will happen is the area manager will talk to the staff in the tore that day and customer support with throw vouchers and the like at you to stop you going to the media.

IMHO you should get in touch T: 452 7722 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

6th wrote:
    No one in my house uses foul language around my child. I hear 4 year olds shouting & cursing at their parents/siblings and will not have my children acting like that.

Well if the movie was 15 or 18 then it shouldnt be shown where there can be children under that age.

Where do you see an imbalance?

You might not use the language but I doubt very much that your child will go through its entire life without hearing any (and I sincerely hope they do hear it regularly).

As I said, they shouldn't have had it on.

And the imbalance is fairly obvious but if you need it pointed out - she complained, they switched it off in favor of something more palatable. Case closed. Getting hysterical and getting folks in trouble for something so stupid is over the top and is not a balanced reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fair play 6th. Not an over-reaction at all and I wouldn't hesitate to take the complaint further if it means that staff will think twice about what movies they put on during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

definatley give them a call, and if they dont want to know you then you can always 'Talk to Joe!'! (or at least threaten to :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They are infact required to show the company dvd during opening hours with the comming attractions and not anything they like and certain not anything which is not suited for the general public.

Ring head office about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

If the movie in question could only be shown on television after the watershed then I would completely agree that it was at best insensitive of XV to have it on in the middle of the day. (and it sounds like that is the case).
    6th wrote:

My parents never swore in front of me when I was a child but by the time I was 4 I probably knew every word in the book. (Friends always have older siblings who know them and will delight in demonstrating their wordly knowledge to younger children). Despite this, I never swore at my siblings or parents - mainly because they told me that such words were rude and that I would be in big big trouble if they ever heard me using them.

I'd much rather be in a situation where my children doen't swear because of what I have said to them than because I have sheltered them from them.

[Disclaimer: Before anybody goes and calls the ISPCC, allow me to stress that I don't go out of my way to expose them to naughty words. But this is Ireland, the majority of people (me included) swear from time to time (almost without thinking sometimes). To paraphrase Tommy Tiernan "The English language is like a wall between us... f**k is our chisel".]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

stipey wrote:
    My parents never swore in front of me when I was a child but by the time I was 4 I probably knew every word in the book. (Friends always have older siblings who know them and will delight in demonstrating their wordly knowledge to younger children). Despite this, I never swore at my siblings or parents - mainly because they told me that such words were rude and that I would be in big big trouble if they ever heard me using them.

My parents to this day have never swore around me and out of respect I never would to them or around them. The kids I grew up with and went to school with had the same and resulted in me knowing no swear words until I was about 10 when some older girls told me and my friends some. I remember going home and asking my mummy about it and her explaining that its rude to say them.
    This is part of the reason I strongly advocate private school. People who send their children there care enough about about them to spend the money and they generally care enough about them to not swear around them (not in any way implying that if you dont send your kid to private school that you automaticly dont care or will swear at them).

This is part of the reason I strongly advocate private school. People who send their children there care enough about about them to spend the money and they generally care enough about them to not swear around them (not in any way implying that if you dont send your kid to private school that you automaticly dont care or will swear at them).
    Personally, I think swearing around a child wouldn't be half as bad for their development than sending them to a private school to seperate them from those "horrid common children".

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

That was more or less my point, although you put it more eloquently..

It is better if the reason your child does not swear is not that they have been sheltered from swear words* but rather that they respect you and that you have instilled in them a firm sense of right and wrong (even as young as 4).

* Again this doesn't mean parents have to expose their children to repeated swearing, rather that maybe going to incredible lengths to prevent them hearing words like f**k or s**t mightn't have drawbacks of its own.

But going back to the original point, I still think the OP was well within his/her rights to complain to the staff in Xtra-vision.

As I said one of the phrases heard in Xv was "suck my cock" not exactly a harmless little curse.

Within her rights, sure. But it's only a small issue tbh. It would be a bit of an over reaction to take it to the head office.

Who's this "her" people keep mentioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My parents to this day have never swore around me and out of respect I never would to them or around them. The kids I grew up with and went to school with had the same and resulted in me knowing no swear words until I was about 10 when some older girls told me and my friends some. I remember going home and asking my mummy about it and her explaining that its rude to say them.

I hate to break it to you greenkittie but the rich kids curse as much as the poor ones. My sister had her son at an open day for a private secondary school recently. The boys were taken off on a tour by themselves for a few hours and when he came back he told her about how much the other boys cursed, every second word was F, Sh, ba****d etc. She nearly died cause her son is a bit innocent and hadn't heard it so blantantly used in his small public school. So money is no indication of good manners.
    6th i think you were right to make an issue in the store but I wouldn't escalate it to head office.
    BTW i'm so glad your not female, i'm sick of people assuming it's only the women who are protective of their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

So 6th,what annoyed you most.The foul lang or the dirty look or both.
    Did you rent a dvd or just walk out?.
    The dirty look be the last straw with me,report them.Take it to the top.
    We hand over large sums of money per annum in these stores cause we interupt their afternoon and get a dirty look.As was said above,its against the policies of Xv to view underage content for most of the day.

Bring it to the top i say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Crea wrote:
    I hate to break it to you greenkittie but the rich kids curse as much as the poor ones. My sister had her son at an open day for a private secondary school recently. The boys were taken off on a tour by themselves for a few hours and when he came back he told her about how much the other boys cursed, every second word was F, Sh, ba****d etc. She nearly died cause her son is a bit innocent and hadn't heard it so blantantly used in his small public school. So money is no indication of good manners.
    6th i think you were right to make an issue in the store but I wouldn't escalate it to head office.
    BTW i'm so glad your not female, i'm sick of people assuming it's only the women who are protective of their kids.

I hate to break to you but going to private school does not automatically mean you are rich. My parents were certainly not rich and went without alot of things in order to send me to private school.
    Sorry off topic I know, just in your post it appeard you implied that I was saying that if you are rich you wont swear which wasn't what I was trying to say at all. Just at the school I went to there was no swearing and the kids were always well behaved, my Mother is a teacher and often tells me of how awful the kids in the some of the schools act and the language they use. I know not every school is like that, just I think private ones are less likely to be.

Advertisement