Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision Store: Inappropriate

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I worked in Xtra Vision before, and it is staff policy to play only Family films during the daytime. You may get more reaction if you go to the manager of the store, however I would think it a bit of an over reaction, seeing as the employee did as you asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 winnie29

6th, I don't think this is an overreaction at all. Kids really pick up on everything around them and it is up to you as a parent to protect your child. I would definitely go to head office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i see where you're coming from but i fail to see how getting these lads fired will stop your daughter hearing bad language....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I agree, well done for complaining and you are not over-reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not over reacting IMO. The film was obviously not suitable for kids, and being played in an area where there were DEFINITELY going to be kids (at some point). edit: I wouldn't take it any further though....they did turn it off immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

I hate to break to you but going to private school does not automatically mean you are rich. My parents were certainly not rich and went without alot of things in order to send me to private school.
    Sorry off topic I know, just in your post it appeard you implied that I was saying that if you are rich you wont swear which wasn't what I was trying to say at all. Just at the school I went to there was no swearing and the kids were always well behaved, my Mother is a teacher and often tells me of how awful the kids in the some of the schools act and the language they use. I know not every school is like that, just I think private ones are less likely to be.

Wow. Sounds pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No OP, you are not over-reacting.

Perhaps write a letter to the top boss?

pwd wrote:
    i emailed their head office after being repeatedly over-charged and being treated rudely.
    Email was ignored.
    So you might be better off ringing if you do want to take it further.
    Or talk to the manager of that particular store.

Best to write a letter, a lot of companies seem to ignore emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 consoleman

well i used to work there and we would put any film on we wanted. Although we would have the cop on to turn it off or mute it if there were kids in the store.

Xtra Vision do have a dvd which they insist is played during opening hours as mentioned earlier in this thread, but its not always enforced but i can tell you , if you email their head office, they will most definately take it seriously. Xtra Vision can be held liable for any offensive material shown to the general public. Plus all material is copyrighted and not allowed be shown in public viewings without the distributers expressed permission, turn on any dvd, its the first thing that will come up in writing.

use that line on them and threaten to take it further and i promise you , you will get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

OP: you are not over reacting, the 9pm TV watershed should apply to public broadcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

pwd wrote:
    i emailed their head office after being repeatedly over-charged and being treated rudely.
    Email was ignored.
    So you might be better off ringing if you do want to take it further.
    Or talk to the manager of that particular store.
    Went in in the first time since said email and found 30 euro credit on my account. Don't know if that was in response to my email or not. They didn't reply to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

6th wrote:
    Ok so on Saturday between 2.30pm and 3pm I was in my local Xtravision. I had my (almost) 3 year old daughter with me and next thing I hear "suck my cock", "fuck" and other such phrases.

Whatever film the staff had on it wasn't suitable to be showing during the day with kids coming into the store.
    If I'd been in the store by myself and heard the line "suck my ****", I would have been offended and walked out. I feel that shows a lack of respect to all customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EcoGirl

You absolutely are not over-reacting, and ignore those in this thread who say you are, and you think you have a problem. A) Your child most likely will NOT hear those kinds of things anyway, and B) even if s/he does, it's not up to Extravision to start the process. There's a reason films are rated for different ages. In the cinema they don't even show trailers above the age limit of the film that's going to be on.

I personally would get in touch with head office and complain loudly.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thaedydal wrote:
    They are infact required to show the company dvd during opening hours with the comming attractions and not anything they like and certain not anything which is not suited for the general public.

Ring head office about it.

The company DVD is only issued maybe twice a year at most and only shown for a month at a time if that.

For the rest of the year, we have a CD Playlist to abide by and DVD's cannot be over PG.

Ring if you like, I work there and i see it happen a lot, but complaining to the store manager is probably enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I currently work in Xtravision and those staff were wrong to have something with language like that on during the day. Even after the Watershed and there is kids in our store, I would mute or pause a movie that may be offensive until they've left. But sometimes you may have a movie on you've never seen before and not realise there would be massivley inappropriate. One instance of this was I had on Open water I think, it was a 15's movie and the guide on the box said no coarse language so I figured it should of been okay, it was after six. I was serving away unbeknownst to the fact the couple were getting jiggy on the several screens around the store, I've never ran to the stop button so fast in my life !

That being said, I usually have no music or film airing in our store (or that annoying loop of Xtravision adverts, that will drive me postal someday) I find people enjoy looking for films and seem to be more relaxed with no music or background noise ! They also don't seem to raise their voices at staff when everyone else can hear them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Glad I checked this again because it happened again but a violent film as opposed to swearing. I will be ringing the head office after the weekend.

I'll post up how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

I used to work in Chartbusters up until yesterday, and I know we were told to only play at most a 12 certed movie at all times. Due to the fact that there are young kids, and teenagers in the shop until closing time. 6th you weren't over reacting, but personally I would try and talk to the manager first and only going to head office if I got no satisfaction.

There have been times people have complained about Lord of the Rings or even Harry Potter to me (both pg movies btw!) and we would just stop them until the people left. However, I think a lot of people do not realise how rude customers can be, and the cr*p the staff has to take on a regular basis. (Esp this summer due to the bad weather!) If you were rude to them 6th that might explain the look you got from them, cos I would have been the same (and I'm not claiming you were either).

People forget that the people in video shops have feelings and do deserve some respect too, in fact I think they are legally entitled to it. And from experience, some people think of people in shops are beneath them (these are the people who complain about a 50c fine!!) and trust me that attitude just gets their back up. (Sorry bout the ranting - I have a habit of that lol):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've worked as lounge staff, in wooodies, service stations etc, I am alway very respectable to staff because I know what its like. I also know that some staff are just dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭John Kimble

6th, you certainly did not overreact. I worked in XtraVision for over 3 years, and the highest rating you are permitted to play in the store is 12, regardless of time of day. This policy is not well communicated to staff however.
    I'm glad you're taking this stance, because the one thing that really annoyed me about that job was witnessing hordes of idiotic parents buying Grand Theft Auto for their kids (some as young as five). It's good to see that some parents still set standards for their kids.
    With regards to the staff, they should have been more apologetic. Perhaps they were unaware of the language prior to playing (though if it was an 18 cert they should have had a fair idea) but their reaction was unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I don't think you over reacted either, you child is only 3, she doesn't need to hear things like that. Yes she could hear it out in the street but 6th doesn't have any control over that. You don't expect it from a high street shop.
    I've just emailed the broadcasting complaints about the use of the word w*n*er on a national radio station at 9.30am. Yes I know my kids have probably heard this word before and will again but there is a time and a place and if we don't try and look out for our kids then who will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You're not over-reacting.
    Phone them because emails will not be answered (at least not in a satisfactory manner).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sunnymom

Hi there,
    As a former Area Manager of a video/music store chain, that is absolutley unacceptable. Our stores were only allowed show PG certified movies at any time, even in the evenings. That is just a staff member catching up on their own film viewing in an inappropriate venue. Complain to the Area Manager - ask in any local store for her/his name and demand an apology and an assurance that this staff member will be reprimanded - state the day and estimated time of your visit to the store - they can check the rosters to see who was on shift.
    Films are certified for a reason and that clearly was not suitable for a 3 yr old's ears. Whoever suggested that kids will hear bad language at some stage, is very blase altogether! I hope to god my toddlers or primarcy school children don't hear that sort of conversation anytime in the years to come!!

Advertisement