Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism is "no-fun"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Just to let you know wicknight, one of the ones that you have mentioned above, in person is not joyful and not really a very happy person. And I do know so from personal experience.

Maybe he just didn't like you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I can't think of anybody I have met that is noted for their joyfulness and happiness. Maybe if I meet the pope?
    I can only think of this guy... though I have never met him, his reputation somewhat precedes him.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/One-time_characters_from_The_Simpsons#Happiest_Man_in_Springfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Wicknight wrote:
    Maybe he just didn't like you?

Actually he did quite like me, how could he not? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wicknight wrote:
    Rodney Dangerfield - Comedian - "Caddy Shack"

Rodney Dangerfield! That's it... I'm now an atheist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Why is it that Atheists are perceieved to be humourless, passionless and generally missing out on the wonder of the world?
    Good question. A lot of the perception, I believe, derives from theistic propaganda which has evolved to increase the appeal of theistic ways of thinking -- it doesn't make much sense for a theist to say that an atheist can appreciate the world just as much.

It's also interesting to note that many religions have, at one time or another and sometimes all at once, tried to ban or at least control music, reading, education, literature, art, laughing, drugs, alcohol, dancing, the eating of certain foods, and many other enjoyable things. And tried to replace them with a strict set of religious-framework reinforcing activities of one kind or another -- private and public prayer, fasting, altered-state inducing endless rosaries, whirling dervishes etc, etc. So, in the absence of other fun things to do, the religiously-sanctioned activities probably seem far more fun than they are and in certain cases, induce states of consciousness similar to being drugged. Also, banning these things does seem to appeal to the common theist conceit in their own superiority that they have more 'elevated' sensibilities that involve sublime ideas, and not, for example, two sixpacks.

And as for theists' implied claims that they are funnier, more passionate, more open to wonder? Good heavens, taking on e example of each -- the bible is the most humorless heavy book around, with the possible exception of the Lord of the Rings; the passion of Jesus Christ as described in the gospels pales beside Plato's description of Socrates' death; and as for the wonder than can be extracted from a good book on biology versus a creationist pamphlet? Nahh, it's the usual pro-theist propaganda -- 'join us and you too can reach the stars'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Well the only people I have met who are full of joy and happiness are kids. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. Surely humans evolved looking over their shoulders, watching out for animals that might eat them, or later tribes that wanted their food or cattle or land.

Anyway the most miserable person I have met was a very christian teacher I had a school. The b***h wanted to ban and protect us from all sorts, I was sixteen at the time, couldn't stand the dried up old hag, but I think most people I've met, religious or atheist are different. Neither fits neatly into anything.

robindch wrote:
    Good question. A lot of the perception, I believe, derives from theistic propaganda which has evolved to increase the appeal of theistic ways of thinking -- it doesn't make much sense for a theist to say that an atheist can appreciate the world just as much.

It's also interesting to note that many religions have, at one time or another and sometimes all at once, tried to ban or at least control music, reading, education, literature, art, laughing, drugs, alcohol, dancing, the eating of certain foods, and many other enjoyable things. And tried to replace them with a strict set of religious-framework reinforcing activities of one kind or another -- private and public prayer, fasting, altered-state inducing endless rosaries, whirling dervishes etc, etc. So, in the absence of other fun things to do, the religiously-sanctioned activities probably seem far more fun than they are and in certain cases, induce states of consciousness similar to being drugged. Also, banning these things does seem to appeal to the common theist conceit in their own superiority that they have more 'elevated' sensibilities that involve sublime ideas, and not, for example, two sixpacks.

And as for theists' implied claims that they are funnier, more passionate, more open to wonder? Good heavens, taking on e example of each -- the bible is the most humorless heavy book around, with the possible exception of the Lord of the Rings; the passion of Jesus Christ as described in the gospels pales beside Plato's description of Socrates' death; and as for the wonder than can be extracted from a good book on biology versus a creationist pamphlet? Nahh, it's the usual pro-theist propaganda -- 'join us and you too can reach the stars'.
    It's funny that you mention Plato/Socrates as I would generally consider the teachings of both as containing much greater moral worth and insight into the human condition than the Bible.

Religion seems to be like a dogmatic philosophy, whereas philosophy itself is not dogmatic and has (had) room to develop and remain current and valid as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

pinksoir wrote:
    It's funny that you mention Plato/Socrates as I would generally consider the teachings of both as containing much greater moral worth and insight into the human condition than the Bible.

Religion seems to be like a dogmatic philosophy, whereas philosophy itself is not dogmatic and has (had) room to develop and remain current and valid as a result.
    Funny has in ha ha ha, or funny as in interesting ;)

Personally I see Religion as Philosophy for Children and as Santa Claus for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can't think of anybody I have met that is noted for their joyfulness and happiness. Maybe if I meet the pope?
    LOL

I can't think of anyone who I could describe as 'joyful'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sleepy wrote:
    LOL

I can't think of anyone who I could describe as 'joyful'.

Really? I know lots of people who are joyful and it brightens up my day just to spend time with them.

• Advertisement

Sapien wrote:
    Perhaps you have a way of putting them in a bad mood.

Actually, I do. I have often been told that I am irritating because I smile too much. The local radio station recorded some programmes with me as a guest speaker but discontinued it because I was "too happy". Maybe I should pretend to be miserable in order to avoid annoying others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I find that people who come across as abnormally joyful/happy/enthusiastic are either:

-Acting, not being themselves, putting up a false front.
    -Suffering from bipolar depression.
    -Very innocent.

Thing is, there's a difference between being happy and coming across as overtly so. This has nothing to do with religious belief though, just one's personality.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I find that people who come across as abnormally joyful/happy/enthusiastic are either:

-Very innocent.

Thing is, there's a difference between being happy and coming across as overtly so. This has nothing to do with religious belief though, just one's personality.

Of course, in a world full of miserable people, someone who is just genuinely happy will be considered abnormal.

Is 'innocent' a term of abuse nowadays? I would think it is preferable to being guilty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PDN wrote:
    Is 'innocent' a term of abuse nowadays? I would think it is preferable to being guilty.
    Let's not go down the "what is abuse" road again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PDN wrote:
    I guess there may be a religion out there somewhere that insists you must abstain from everything good in life (possibly the infamous garbage eaters:

I'm sure there are atheists out there who are noted for their joyfulness and happiness. I just haven't met any yet.

not that many delusional atheist about.

JC 2K3 wrote:

-Very innocent.

What happens when your favourite song is on the radio?

Maybe his favourite is Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 in B flat minor, op. 35? You know, the Funeral March.

lol, perhaps I was unclear.

Everyone has their moments of ecstatic happiness. But when someone comes across as overtly happy ALL THE TIME. It's rather odd.

And @PDN, the use of the word "innocent" was not meant as negative or demeaning. I wish I was innocent.

PDN wrote:
    Maybe his favourite is Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 in B flat minor, op. 35? You know, the Funeral March.
    Or 'Losing my Religion' which is also depressing!

Why can't Barry Manilow give us an uplifiting atheism song?
    http://www.celebatheists.com/?title=Barry_Manilow

Actually I would say if he did that, it would do more atheism than Dawkins has ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

PDN wrote:
    Really? I know lots of people who are joyful and it brightens up my day just to spend time with them.
    JC2K3 answered this for me really. I know people who are generally happy people but let's face it, there's something wrong with someone who is happy all the time. I'd actually question if it's clinically possible to be happy all the time, I'm not a psychologist but from my passing interest in that area I understand that to appreciate joy, one must have experienced pain.

Maybe it's just a cultural difference in the usage of the word 'joyful' but to me that word evokes the image of someone skipping through life singing songs from the sound of music!

• Advertisement

Or 'Losing my Religion' which is also depressing!

Why can't Barry Manilow give us an uplifiting atheism song?
    http://www.celebatheists.com/?title=Barry_Manilow

Actually I would say if he did that, it would do more atheism than Dawkins has ever done.

I think if Barry Manilow became a Christian it would do more for atheism than dawkins has ever done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Sleepy wrote:
    JC2K3 answered this for me really. I know people who are generally happy people but let's face it, there's something wrong with someone who is happy all the time. I'd actually question if it's clinically possible to be happy all the time, I'm not a psychologist but from my passing interest in that area I understand that to appreciate joy, one must have experienced pain.

Maybe it's just a cultural difference in the usage of the word 'joyful' but to me that word evokes the image of someone skipping through life singing songs from the sound of music!

Why would you think that someone who is happy all the time as being odd?

When I was in my late teens I actually had a guy tell me to *******, because I wouldn't stop smiling.

I find so much joy in my life and in my relationships, and can't help but smile about it. BTW know some non-believers who also have lots of joy, I also know some Christians as described by Karen3212. :eek:

Because we all go through positive and negative phases in our lives. It is not humanly possible to be 100% happy 100% of the time. And extremely happy, overenthusiastic people can be annoying. As illustrated by this infamous cartoon: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

I prefer people who are calmly content and who won't hide it if they're feeling down tbh.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Because we all go through positive and negative phases in our lives. It is not humanly possible to be 100% happy 100% of the time. And extremely happy, overenthusiastic people can be annoying. As illustrated by this infamous cartoon: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus

I prefer people who are calmly content and who won't hide it if they're feeling down tbh.
    Ah cheer up would you.

I really don't understand what anyones point about smiling is. Thailand is known as 'The Land of smiles' but it is a buddhist country - hence athiest.

On a side note, in my experience, the people who are found smiling all the time generally have a deep insecurity or underlying problem in their life that they refuse to face. Not all, but many. However, those with a calm contentment are generally just calm and content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

People believe all sorts of stupid crap... why don't you ask the Christians why some of them believe what you posted -- instead of the atheists?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DaveMcG wrote:
    People believe all sorts of stupid crap... why don't you ask the Christians why some of them believe what you posted -- instead of the atheists?
    I'm confused - I presume that's directed at the OP?

Advertisement