Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personally Abusive Demonic Panties

Options
  • 25-06-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

Yar, I was posting in the paranormal forum about summoning the divil's feens from hell, as one does, and managed to get meself banned for personal abuse, if you can imagine such a thing. The mod in question (stevenmu) hasn't responded to my PM on the matter, so although I'm not really giving much with the caring, its on my list of things to do before I die, so I figure what the heck, lets post about it on feedback.

I can't find the link since firefox won't let me log out of this fine site, and the moderator has even banned viewing, apparently.

This is apparently what caused the offence...
    No what you're doing is splitting hairs and getting your panties in a bunch over some self defined boundary issues. Nyeh, enjoy those grey hairs, baby.
    "Panties in a bunch" is a commonly used English language expression,
    1. When a person overreacts to a trifling insult or barb, or to a joke.

2. When someone acts in an anal-retentive manner, and makes a big fuss out of a relatively minor problem.
    "grey hairs" was a reference to stressing out over a dictionary definition, and if kojak can call men baby, I feel equally able to do so. Personally abusive, I feel not.

At no stage did I call 6th any names, such as "chucklehead", nor have I any intention of doing so, and I most certainly didn't insinuate he wore panties either in his personal or professional life, no matter how sheerly smooth and fetching they might be.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think you overestimated the mods knowledge of the english language tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think you underestimate how close to home you hit with a panties joke about 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's the Paranormal forum. The centre of the world for imaginary mystical powers/fairies, and over-reaction to even the slightest hint that *gasp* you might introduce science to the masses. Boo, hiss, etc. There's dozens of us banned from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I can't find the link since firefox won't let me log out of this fine site, and the moderator has even banned viewing, apparently.

Go to a different web site, doesn't matter which, and press ctrl shift and delete together, say yes to clearing the cookies. This will have the effect of logging you out of Boards and you'll be able to see the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

This is the thread in question...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055102074

I did feel it was a bit heavy handed as it wasn't really an out and out personal insult as you were pulling 6th up on his post.

I always feel that bannings should be used as a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How long is the ban for?

Personally I like to use a psychic scream of...

DAEMONCHU.... I CHOOSE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lollers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

krazy_8s wrote:
    I think you underestimate how close to home you hit with a panties joke about 6th.

I'll tell you the same thing I told YORE MA, I posted them panties back weeks ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

DeVore wrote:
    How long is the ban for?
    Ah its only for a week, I don't really give a tinkers, in fairness. I was thinking about busting into a verse of "We Shall Not Be Moved", but the oul' bass isn't what it used to be.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I recommend the Ian Paisley approach of simply refusing to close your browser! :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

And when someone elses decides to use their browser on a sunday, stand beside them with a big sign giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Thats the last two feedback threads about paranormal that aren't related to me.

*sniff*

where's the love?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't you people pray to Saint Anthony or use Ouija or somesuch to find lost things?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Man, harsh ban but it's from paranormal, you should be able to know what they are posting or not care about what they are posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

6th wrote:
    I'll tell you the same thing I told YORE MA, I posted them panties back weeks ago!

You could have washed them first, I threw them at the wall and they stuck to it.

krazy_8s wrote:
    You could have washed them first, I threw them at the wall and they stuck to it.

They were clean ... its your walls that are sticky ;)

On Topic:

Anyway, I reported the post as being mild abuse. It was as much to stop it escallating as anything else. I expected a warning at most and the ban does seem quite harsh, especially for a first offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

6th wrote:
    Anyway, I reported the post as being mild abuse. It was as much to stop it escallating as anything else.
    Well the thing is, I don't see how that was abuse in any way, and a fair few people agree with me, from the looks of things. As for escalations, I've never seen a decent debate that didn't get a bit punchy at some stage. In fact that's what makes a good discussion great - that doesn't mean you need to go running to a mod every time someone makes a point to you strongly.

<_<

>_>

*hugs 6th*

I could go into it all Sam but the fact is you made a post directed at me which I chose to report. I dont think you deserved to ban, it was harsh.

People here are saying it was a harsh ban, they are not saying your comment was not abuse, mild or not.

Anyway, I am used to having people putting opposing ideas to me ... I openly welcome it. No bad blood here and I hope your week ban doesn't stop you posting in the forum.

*pats Sam's ass*

6th wrote:
    I could go into it all Sam but the fact is you made a post directed at me which I chose to report. I dont think you deserved to ban, it was harsh.
    HOLD ON!

If you did'nt want punishment for the post, why report it? Why not just PM the guy and say "hey, didn't appreciate that".

Don't play the innocent here. You reported it because you wanted action, you got action.

Failing that, I'll start watching out for you abusing the report post function, and that won't be pretty if I deem it happening.

psi wrote:
    HOLD ON!

No you hold on.
    psi wrote:
    If you did'nt want punishment for the post, why report it?

I reported it because I found it abusive. Do I think a warning from a mod would have done? Yes.
    psi wrote:
    Why not just PM the guy and say "hey, didn't appreciate that".

I saw it as abuse and followed the recommended proceedure. I have never had dealings with SimpleSam before so chose not to go the pm route.
    psi wrote:
    Don't play the innocent here. You reported it because you wanted action, you got action.

So when a poster reports a post the mods of the forum act on it blindly? Don't be stupid. The mod in question (stevemu) obviously read the post and chose his course of action.

It is that action that is being questioned here not me reporting the post. Reporting posts is anonymous so I would not even be a factor here had I not chosen to step forward.
    psi wrote:
    Failing that, I'll start watching out for you abusing the report post function, and that won't be pretty if I deem it happening.

I report posts on that forum because I spend more time on there than anyone else. When I am not sure whether to report something I pm the mods, as you well know.

If you deem that I am abusing the report post function then you better be able to back it up or things won't be pretty as you say.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    I saw it as abuse and followed the recommended proceedure. I have never had dealings with SimpleSam before so chose not to go the pm route.
    What specifically did you find abusive?
    It is that action that is being questioned here not me reporting the post. Reporting posts is anonymous so I would not even be a factor here had I not chosen to step forward.
    Yes, I know, thats what makes me wonder about your motives.
    If you deem that I am abusing the report post function then you better be able to back it up or things won't be pretty as you say.
    Please clarify what you're threathening me with.

If I find think you are, I'll ban you. Straight out.

What are you claiming you're going to do to me? Unless you clarify, I'm going to have to take that as a direct threat against me - I don't see what else you personally could do to make things as described. If so, I may just have to seek higher council, threats of physical violence are a serious matter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

handbag.jpg

psi wrote:
    What specifically did you find abusive?

Irrelevant what I found abusive, a mod made the banning base on how they saw it. If you wish to know why I suggest you ask the mod.
    psi wrote:
    6th wrote:
    Yes, I know, thats what makes me wonder about your motives.

I had no motive, SimpleSam quoted the post that got him banned. It was a remark aimed at me so I thought it fair to say it was me that reported it.

psi wrote:
    6th wrote:
    Please clarify what you're threathening me with.

How is mine a threat and yet yours is not? What I meant was that if you ban me for abusing the report post function then you better have a good case because if I see it as an unfair ban then I will contact the appropriate people to review the ban.
    psi wrote:
    If I find think you are, I'll ban you. Straight out.
    I read a fair bit about you banning people for things they post on other forums. If you have a problem with a post I make here then I suggest you use the report post function or PM an Admin. Banning me from Paranormal for a comment here is a crazy abuse of mod powers. Any mod who does that doesnt deserve to be a mod.
    psi wrote:
    What are you claiming you're going to do to me? Unless you clarify, I'm going to have to take that as a direct threat against me - I don't see what else you personally could do to make things as described. If so, I may just have to seek higher council, threats of physical violence are a serious matter.

I've made it clear what I was saying but if you think I am even suggesting that I would hop on a plane from Dublin to the good old US of A to carry out an act of violence against you then you are probably in need of some therapy.

Actually Si, why are you trying to make this about me when its actually about a mods decision to ban SimpleSam?

Rather than hijack this thread may I suggest you take it to PM? My door is always open but of course you can take it to the admins if you feel I have been threatening you with violence.

6th wrote:

How is mine a threat and yet yours is not? What I meant was that if you ban me for abusing the report post function then you better have a good case because if I see it as an unfair ban then I will contact the appropriate people to review the ban.

Mine is a threat. A threat of direct action based on your behavior in the forum, which believe me, I am monitoring carefully. I was curious as to what you were threathening because I can see no way you personally could make things unpretty for me, barring threathening me directly. any action I take, I will be able to back to admins, I alwasy do.

But thats not really your concern. I'm glad you weren't threathening physical violence, it would be an awful slur on your reputation.
    I read a fair bit about you banning people for things they post on other forums. If you have a problem with a post I make here then I suggest you use the report post function or PM an Admin. Banning me from Paranormal for a comment here is a crazy abuse of mod powers. Any mod who does that doesnt deserve to be a mod.
    You know absolutely nothing about it, but nice allusion there 6th. Report posts abuse is enough to ban you. I never said I'd do anything based on what you do here, thats not the case at all, of course this is your usual little attempted sympathy/victimisation ploy and quite frankly, why you imo don't deserve to ever be a mod.
    I've made it clear what I was saying but if you think I am even suggesting that I would hop on a plane from Dublin to the good old US or A to carry out an act of violence against you then you are probably in need of some therapy.
    I've no idea what you're capable of to be honest. I would feel myself ill placed to judge how irrational or rational you can be given the evidence I've seen.

6th wrote:
    Actually Si, why are you trying to make this about me when its actually about a mods decision to ban SimpleSam?

Rather than hijack this thread may I suggest you take it to PM? My door is always open but of course you can take it to the admins if you feel I have been threatening you with violence.

I think, as usual, you made it about you. I was just humouring you.

Whatever, you're just another poster like me here. Watch me all you like in Paranormal, whatever gets you going.

6th wrote:
    Whatever, you're just another poster like me here. Watch me all you like in Paranormal, whatever gets you going.

Indeed I am a poster here, although to be fair, I'm not a poster like you. There are very few posters like you. At least not ones that are allowed to interact freely with the rest of society.

Throw insults all you like. You said earlier:
    psi wrote:
    Thats the last two feedback threads about paranormal that aren't related to me.

*sniff*

where's the love?

So this is your sad attempt to make it about you. Seriously, take it to PI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

SimpleSam when I read over your post, and the thread, it seemed to me like you were getting personal to try and provoke a row. I thought the explanation you gave then was just trying to weasle out of it. Reading back over it again now though, I'm beginning to think maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion on that and I can see how it could have been meant in a friendly banter type way. I'll look over it again and let you know.

Advertisement