Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new cycle routes in Dublin (or Eire)

Options
  • 25-06-2007 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Following the election of the Green Party into government, it must be a good opportunity for concerned cyclists to lobby for improved cycle tracks.

There was talk of an unbroken track from Sandycove to Sutton. I'd love to see this introduced. The stretch of track from the Alfie Byrne Road to Sutton is exemplary (excepting the small gap there at Bull Island). Was thinking for the Sandymount stretch that perhaps a boardwalk style route would be appropriate (as on the Liffey). There is of course talk of developing a motorway here to join up with the N11 and complete the East link orbital route, so any plans for a cycle track would have to be considered carefully as they could contain a trojan horse!

Anyway, what routes would fellow posters suggest. I'd like to see good safe commuter/recreational routes. Obvious candidates are:

1) Royal and grand canals - upgrade of towpath with separate sections for walkers and for cyclists. From suburbs to the city, avoiding lights and traffic.

2) Luas Lines and Dart lines could easily accomodate a wide cyclists' path parallel to them and safely separate from the trains

3) River stretches, like the Dodder from Clonskeagh to Ringsend. The Tolka out to Glasnevin.

4) Networks of routes like the Wicklow way, and other Ways around the country joined up like they have on the Big Island next door;)

5) Maybe a cycle track through the Tara Valley for the fit commuters of Greater Dublin!

6) An imaginative proposal for the quays?? O'Connell Street?? Any takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

They should have put cycle tracks along the Luas lines. I taught this before I ever rode a bike in this city. It just makes sense like.

Anyway, from my own experience: the Oscar Traynor road in Coolock needs one. There’s a lot of lorries on that road, and a lot of cyclists.
    I’d like to see Amiens st/ North Strand road repaired, instead of the current situation where they’ve tarmaced over the cycle lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

a cyclepath to lucan would be pretty sweet. The M50 roundabout is a bit tricky but if they could do something at the slip road to liffey valley because that is the worst part of my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

comer_97 wrote:
    a cyclepath to lucan would be pretty sweet. The M50 roundabout is a bit tricky but if they could do something at the slip road to liffey valley because that is the worst part of my day!

I'd second that, I think once the m50 works are finished it should be better tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oobydooby wrote:
    1) Royal and grand canals - upgrade of towpath with separate sections for walkers and for cyclists. From suburbs to the city, avoiding lights and traffic.

3) River stretches, like the Dodder from Clonskeagh to Ringsend. The Tolka out to Glasnevin.

With the two of these, I'd have a perfect cycle route to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I'd prefer if they didn't bring in any new cycle tracks until the ones we have are brought up to a reasonable standard. Building more of the same will just make the job of fixing the mistakes in them bigger when someone decides to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

oobydooby wrote:
    There was talk of an unbroken track from Sandycove to Sutton. I'd love to see this introduced. The stretch of track from the Alfie Byrne Road to Sutton is exemplary (excepting the small gap there at Bull Island).
    I cycle that one regularly. 'Exemplery' is not a term I'd use, maybe 'could do better' or 'somewhat above a woeful average'.

How about the weeds completely blocking the outbound lane for over 1km? Or the cars parked on it at the pumping station in Clontarf? The construction compund positioned on a hazardous junction? The lack of proper road interfaces? No centre line? Benches and litter bins on the track?

Never mind the fact that it's very exposed to coastal gales and is much abused by stupid roller bladers and ignorant joggers.

Let's not give the City Council any cause for complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I cycle that one regularly. 'Exemplery' is not a term I'd use, maybe 'could do better' or 'somewhat above a woeful average'.

How about the weeds completely blocking the outbound lane for over 1km? Or the cars parked on it at the pumping station in Clontarf? The construction compund positioned on a hazardous junction? The lack of proper road interfaces? No centre line? Benches and litter bins on the track?

Never mind the fact that it's very exposed to coastal gales and is much abused by stupid roller bladers and ignorant joggers.

Let's not give the City Council any cause for complacency.

Dont forgot the people who let their dogs walk across the cycle path :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

comer_97 wrote:
    better still make one along the south of the river from Islandbridge so you pass well under the M50

miketv wrote:
    Dont forgot the people who let their dogs walk across the cycle path :rolleyes:
    Maybe we could get them to use flourescent dog-leads?

But to stay on topic, we first need to audit what's been done and then, quite often, undone. We need to ban the contractors and engineers who've produced shoddy and often unlawful work.

Then we need to have a statement of what cycle tracks are supposed to be for. Ask any engineer and I think you'll be told that they're to keep cyclists in their place.

No point in having 'more of the same'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of curiosity are there any maps in the public domain that show the location of all the cycle paths in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

better still make one along the south of the river from Islandbridge so you pass well under the M50

that would be cool and picturesque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

oobydooby wrote:
    2) Luas Lines and Dart lines could easily accomodate a wide cyclists' path parallel to them and safely separate from the trains
    How/where would you run the cycle lane at Luas stations to avoid clashing with Luas passengers?

pithater1 wrote:
    Out of curiosity are there any maps in the public domain that show the location of all the cycle paths in Dublin?
    You mean like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You mean like this one?

Something like that one allright :D

Although are there any that have been published more recently?
    I'm sure we have more cycle paths now than we did in 1998.
    At least I hope we do :D

pithater1 wrote:
    Something like that one allright :D

Although are there any that have been published more recently?
    I'm sure we have more cycle paths now than we did in 1998.
    At least I hope we do :D
    Well we might have more, but for the fact that many cycle tracks are removed some time after they've been 'built'. Here's another fantastic map. It's more recent but shows a cycle track on the N32 that was removed many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

@cyclopath - I commend your choice of adjective for that "fantastic" map. I'm sure some authority got loads of European money for that plan and some visionary got a promotion as a result. However the plan is unrealistic, although admirable. I don't disapprove of having a metre of the road tarred a different colour and allegedly reserved for cyclists - it's better than negotiating the kerb, puddles, potholes and closer traffic that is the norm on busy roads. However these are not what I had in mind when I think of commuters' cycle tracks.

As far as I can make out the waterways are our best chance of getting quality tracks made out. As for the Lucan suggestion, I must confess I don't know the route - is there a potential track there? Capt'n Midnight's idea is very appealing if it's practical - any excuse for a safe and pleasant trip to Islandbridge and beyond! Ideally it would be wonderful to have a few excellent radial routes from the city, for non-motorised vehicles only. These could encourage more commuters to cycle and thus increase pressure for better cycle lanes to complement these radial routes.

@rainyday

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by oobydooby
    How/where would you run the cycle lane at Luas stations to avoid clashing with Luas passengers?"

Touche :( Guaranteeing pedestrian safety would certainly inconvenience cyclists; but maybe there's a workable compromise - like the bus stops on the N11 perhaps, with some sort of awkward barrier forcing us to dismount, or at least stop where footpaths meet Luas stops meet cycle track. I think the safer route would compensate for the intermittent disruption, but it wouldn't be an ideal cycle track in my mind.

How about routes through the city? Would a boardwalk the length of the Liffey work, complementing the Docklands track/construction site and another route to Islandbridge? I'd love to see a mad proposal, like a floating bicycle track along the middle of the Liffey, from the Customs House up to Heuston Station. I know high tide might require ducking under bridges and there's potential for vandalism and thuggery under the bridges. Put a transparent bottom on the track too - it would look cool and with some good lighting could even make the trolleys look artistic at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

A boardwalk cycle path would be lovely, though it would probably confuse the junkies. Canal paths would also be useful.

In general, though, I tend to agree with (the appropriately named) Cyclopath: talk of new paths is a bit of a distraction from the shameful design and condition of most of the existing ones.

Also, the law around cycle paths will have to change before I start to get excited about new ones. As it stands, new paths would mean new obligations for cyclists more than new freedoms for them.
    oobydooby wrote:
    @cyclopath - I commend your choice of adjective for that "fantastic" map. I'm sure some authority got loads of European money for that plan and some visionary got a promotion as a result. However the plan is unrealistic, although admirable. I don't disapprove of having a metre of the road tarred a different colour and allegedly reserved for cyclists - it's better than negotiating the kerb, puddles, potholes and closer traffic that is the norm on busy roads. However these are not what I had in mind when I think of commuters' cycle tracks.

As far as I can make out the waterways are our best chance of getting quality tracks made out. As for the Lucan suggestion, I must confess I don't know the route - is there a potential track there? Capt'n Midnight's idea is very appealing if it's practical - any excuse for a safe and pleasant trip to Islandbridge and beyond! Ideally it would be wonderful to have a few excellent radial routes from the city, for non-motorised vehicles only. These could encourage more commuters to cycle and thus increase pressure for better cycle lanes to complement these radial routes.

@rainyday

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by oobydooby
    How/where would you run the cycle lane at Luas stations to avoid clashing with Luas passengers?"

Touche :( Guaranteeing pedestrian safety would certainly inconvenience cyclists; but maybe there's a workable compromise - like the bus stops on the N11 perhaps, with some sort of awkward barrier forcing us to dismount, or at least stop where footpaths meet Luas stops meet cycle track. I think the safer route would compensate for the intermittent disruption, but it wouldn't be an ideal cycle track in my mind.

How about routes through the city? Would a boardwalk the length of the Liffey work, complementing the Docklands track/construction site and another route to Islandbridge? I'd love to see a mad proposal, like a floating bicycle track along the middle of the Liffey, from the Customs House up to Heuston Station. I know high tide might require ducking under bridges and there's potential for vandalism and thuggery under the bridges. Put a transparent bottom on the track too - it would look cool and with some good lighting could even make the trolleys look artistic at night time.

oobydooby wrote:
    @cyclopath - I commend your choice of adjective for that "fantastic" map.
    Yes, indeed I meant 'fantastic' in the correct dictionary meaning of the word. Our planners & road engineers live in a fantasy world, no doubt shared with grateful cyclists.

Latest news is that the cycle track constructed last year on St John's Road West outbound has now been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

oobydooby wrote:
    To be honest, I just don't believe this is practical. Having to dismount at each stop would be a huge deterrent. It is likely that many cyclists wouldn't bother dismounting leading to chaos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The best cycle lanes would be away from the roads, imagine a lane through Stephens Green and other parks so there is peace and quiet. Or along the canals , going UNDER the bridges so you didn't have to stop. Most of the way from town to Lucan could be done through parks / public land

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

The best cycle lanes would be away from the roads, imagine a lane through Stephens Green and other parks so there is peace and quiet. Or along the canals , going UNDER the bridges so you didn't have to stop. Most of the way from town to Lucan could be done through parks / public land
    Such lanes would need to well-lit at night and swept of leaves and debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Such lanes would need to well-lit at night and swept of leaves and debris.
    And kept free from pedestrians.

John_C wrote:
    And kept free from pedestrians.
    Not going to happen.
    No Irish cycle track has ever been designed with the needs of cyclists as its primary purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

adjacent to the tolka to glasnevin would be cool. the sutton one too. i was just out there tonight (got a poxy puncture at howth and had to walk back to the texaco on the seafront) the walkers are an awful pain in the balls. dogs too. i wish it was somehow separate from the walkway, but i guess the only way to do that would be a dividing wall or something but that would just be crazy. It's a nice cycle from sutton all the way along the coast to eastpoint business park. i usually take that route and then back up griffith avenue to glasnevin. if the bull island part had a cycle path it'd be a really great one.

The Phoenix Park cycle tracks are also a bitch when it comes to walkers.

Quite right. They're unbelievable. What's most frustrating is the presence of perfectly good pedestrian pathways parallel to the cycle paths which are routinely ignored by walkers.
    Stark wrote:
    The Phoenix Park cycle tracks are also a bitch when it comes to walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

What’s the story with Fairview Park? Was there a cycle path through that before they started building the Port Tunnel? When’s it going to be reopened? Where does it start/finish?

I don't know if there was one in the park, but there has been one next to the footpath outside the perimeter for years. It's another of those ones we appear to be sharing with those wheel-less cyclists, the pedestrians.
    DITTKD wrote:
    What’s the story with Fairview Park? Was there a cycle path through that before they started building the Port Tunnel? When’s it going to be reopened? Where does it start/finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

DITTKD wrote:

Yes there was a cycle track through the park (2 actually!). Essentially the footpaths through the park were split in two, one half for walkers and one for cyclists. Coming from Clontarf you could enter the park at Westwood gym on the track and cut straight across to emerge at the Tolka at Annesley House, or turn left and come out at East Wall where the railway line crosses the Tolka.

It wasn't ideal if I remember right because you had to dismount entering or leaving through a narrow gate (sensibly perhaps because you're meeting a footpath!) but it was peaceful and pleasant. There used to be a track through Sean Moore park as well, near the Irish bottle plant at Ringsend towards Sandymount. This whole area is to be developed soon, but the park has been closed to cyclists for a few years now :(

As for your questions about it reopening...

• Advertisement

oobydooby wrote:
    It wasn't ideal if I remember right because you had to dismount entering or leaving through a narrow gate (sensibly perhaps because you're meeting a footpath!) but it was peaceful and pleasant.

Better than the dead leaves and dirty pedestrians route anyway I'd imagine.

Advertisement