Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Icons being deleted from notification area

• 25-06-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

I am running Windows XP and I have a problem with icons in the notification area (the icons in the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop). Some are being removed when the shouldn't. I want certain items to always be left visible, like the icon for the volume or the battery percentage remaining (it's a laptop I'm referring to) and more importantly an icon for skyDSL that has to be there or else I can't start the skyDSL service.
    If I re-boot enough times the icon appears eventually but sometimes I have to do it three or four times.
    The programs that have their box ticked under 'System Configuration' should always appear in the notification area (which you can check by selecting start-run-type 'msconfig' and then select the 'Startup' tab) but this is not always the case.
    I've un-installed Spy Sweeper and SpyBot but that hasn't made a difference.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Right click on the taskbar and click properties. You'll see a "customise" button at the bottom of the window. That has all you need.

Though I find that it doesn't always work. But it should work, especially for the power icon.

Also, you can enable the power icon with a different and probably more reliable method. Go to the power options icon in Control Panel and click the Advanced tab. There is a checkbox to show the power icon in the taskbar beside the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

Right click on the taskbar and click properties. You'll see a "customise" button at the bottom of the window. That has all you need.

Though I find that it doesn't always work. But it should work, especially for the power icon.

Also, you can enable the power icon with a different and probably more reliable method. Go to the power options icon in Control Panel and click the Advanced tab. There is a checkbox to show the power icon in the taskbar beside the clock.

I've already tried the "customise" button. It's a program I have installed that is causing this to happen, but I don't know which one.

Edit: After googling it I found a solution here:http://winhlp.com/WxSystray.htm that seems to work:
    I go into Task Manager and I right-click on "explorer.exe" and select "End Process". Then I go "File-New task" and enter "explorer.exe".
    The icon for skyDSL then appears in the notification area.
    The battery and volume icons didn't appear but it's the skyDSL icon I really need so I'm not too bothered.

Advertisement