Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs for a night-out?

• 25-06-2007 1:35pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Since returning to Dublin earlier this year I have mostly been going out in town and I've been thinking it'd be nice to be able to head out somewhere a bit closer once in a while. I'm not that far from town, but I'm a sufficient distance to wreck my head when stumbling out of the pub at 3am on a wet Saturday night with not a taxi in sight.

My local is the M1 but that place is like a morgue on Friday and Saturday nights, and none of the pubs in Donnybrook seem to be any cop. I've found that the Waterloo and Searsons on Baggot St can be good sometimes, but they're basically town anyway. Howl at the Moon is class but it's even further into the city, and I'd only want to go there occasionally.

What are the pubs in Ballsbridge and Ranelagh like these days? Is McSorleys busy at the weekend? Anything good further out? My criteria for a good pub would be late hours, busy on Fridays and Saturdays, sexy 21-30 year old clientele, nice decor with comfortable furnishing, casual relaxed atmosphere (not overly pretentious like say, Cafe en Seine).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ive always found McSorleys a good spot. Dont know how sexy the clientel is though as im usually in their after a work dinners in wongs so pretty hammered. I suppose im sexy but im not a regular:)

Pubs in the area around town I like would be: Bradys in Terenure (Can be hit and miss but savage beer garden), The Bottlers in Rathgar (slightly older clientel though), Maddison in Rathmines (can be mental). Im not too sure about Ballsbridge and I know Donnybrook is fairly dead although after a Leinster match Kielys can be good. If I was in Ballsbridge id probably just walk to Searsons TBH. Hope that helps but young sexy clientel is more likely to be closer to town or way out in the burbs in the local disco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Ive always found McSorleys a good spot. Dont know how sexy the clientel is though as im usually in their after a work dinners in wongs so pretty hammered. I suppose im sexy but im not a regular:)

Pubs in the area around town I like would be: Bradys in Terenure (Can be hit and miss but savage beer garden), The Bottlers in Rathgar (slightly older clientel though), Maddison in Rathmines (can be mental). Im not too sure about Ballsbridge and I know Donnybrook is fairly dead although after a Leinster match Kielys can be good. If I was in Ballsbridge id probably just walk to Searsons TBH. Hope that helps but young sexy clientel is more likely to be closer to town or way out in the burbs in the local disco.
    It's gas how quiet Kiely's has become! With Annabels gone, it's just a morgue now.

There's Crowe's in Ballsbridge, don't know if it's late night or not though. I hear McSorley's is good crack.

I never liked Brady's, it's a very young crowd, although it sounds exactly what the OP might be after. ;)

I've always liked Russells in Ranelagh, though that was a few years ago now and usually culminated in a trip to Tramco :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Toast in Rathmines is a good lively pub with music and open till 2/3 am.

Bradys is ok - I do like Gus dandys behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kels

The plaza up in tallaght beside the square. theres a few pub a disco bar and a nightclub, perfect for a good night out xxx

Advertisement