Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving as a hobby / Waterworld

• 25-06-2007 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I would like to complete a PADI Open Water course pretty soon over a weekend in Waterworld (www.waterworld.ie).
    Would anyone else be interested in doing this at the same time as me. Trying to convince friends to dive in a cold sea is not proving fruitful!
    I would like to take this up seriously as a hobby and go diving regularly (inc. foreign trips), and was wondering if there was a club or something I could join . I have dived a number of times in the Maldives (resort course) and really enjoy it.
    Thanks a mil :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

If you plan on diving regularily in Ireland - I'd recommend a club.
    Search for Clubs in your Area and Join one.

They'll constantly have courses on and will have a more structured 'social' aspect than a PADI dive centre probably would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'd join you but I'm the other side of the country. I'm looking to start my instructors course but I'm in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nugirl1

thanks a mil Triangle. Zulu I am in Dublin too, I was having difficulty finding a PADI Open Water Course that's run over a long weekend and the only ones I came up with were outside dublin. Do you know of any in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I don't to be honest. I was only starting to price courses myself. There's a company that go out of DunL in dublin, I was going to check up on them and see if they are any good. I did a refresher dive with them and they seemed like nice friendly people.
    I guess I'll be looking for dive buddies as well so I don't mind spending a little bit more if they are good and sound.

You ouldn't find anywhere in dub no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

HI Zulu,
    There's a fairly complete list of Irish based dive centres here: http://www.scuba.ie/centres/index.htm
    Most in Dublin wouldn't run a course over a long weekend, but ScubaDive West, or Waterworld probably would.
    For CFT clubs you could try out www.cft.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

i learned to dive in waterworld years ago. none of my friends dive, so i usually go down to waterworld and an instructor/ dive master goes with me if there is not another single diver, they will always pair you up with some one......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

My wife & I did our first dives after a 4 year gap after certification (in Oz) with Waterworld.

They really made us feel comfortable and not at all like "newbies" or fools. The diving was pretty good too - surprising vis (we had expected murk), big kelp beds with really long kelp, some pollack (maybe 18" or so) lurking in the kelp.

I had stupidly gotten a little drunk the previous night and it showed on dive day, but the divemasters merely slagged me off and tactfully made a show of me, when they could have justifiably treated me like a twat.

Super friendly.

Can't recommend anywhere else, cos that's the only time we've dived in Ireland. :o

Before we get stuck into diving again (after an even bigger gap this time), we might go back to Waterworld, to refresh. I might even do my Advanced Open Water cert there to catch up with my wife.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seepeesee

hi ,
    have you tried www.adventurediving.net.
    thay are based in bettystown and seem to be a good bunch.good facility and lots of courses.

Advertisement