Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulin Pump Treatment of Diabeties

Options
  • 25-06-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

After a few request, I am finally going to write a thread on the Insulin Pump.

I think it is by far the best way to treat diabeties. Yes at first I said what happens if it comes off when sleeping, will i be able to get to sleep with it hanging out of me, what will people think of me with it hanging off my side.

All of the above and more were just worries that were completely unfounded. The insulin pump well out weights all concerns.

Ok the cost €3750 plus vat at 21%, hold on...you can apply to your local healthboard and they will pay for it IN FULL.

The bad time like all other medical problems is the waiting list I was waiting well over a year for it.

its very simple to use and very user friendly, Bolus which is your fast acting meal time insulin and tha basal which is your background insulin like lantus. But you only use fast acting insulin in the pump.

Bolus you take when ever you eat something and is calculated by a carb to insulin unit ratio do not worry one will be given to you. mine is 10g of carbs is equal to 1unit of insulin. so if I eat a bar of choclate 30grams of carbs I take 3units of insulin ie for the 30g of carbs in the bar.

Basal is your background insulin which is continuiosly given over the course of the day. You can set different rates for different times of the day, ie for when you are asleep you take less and when out and about you may need more again everyone is different and they will be set when you visit the hospital. they will need some adjustments as with me they massively cut the amount of insulin I was on and I had to bring it back up.

I was taking about 100units a day and now I take between 60-70. big drop.

Basically it works with an infusion set which you must change every 2-3days. and the insulin pumps thru this. You will only inject once every 2-3days compared to 4per day depending on your situation.

I would highly recommend it if you have any queries let me know and I will post a reply.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm a bit of a pump-sceptic. I'm sure they will greatly aid some but if one's in control already then apart from some passing convience I'm not sure it adds a lot to the sum of diabetic happyness.

Do you know what your lastest HbA1C level is?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

mike65 wrote:
    I'm a bit of a pump-sceptic. I'm sure they will greatly aid some but if one's in control already then apart from some passing convience I'm not sure it adds a lot to the sum of diabetic happyness.

Mike.
    HBA1C is the real key to if it is a good idea, because in fairness, when someone is used to injecting constantly, it is just something you do.

I have heard some very good stories about the pumps though and for many people, they are a big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I agree with Mike on this one. I have good control so I don't see any point in the pump.

Also as a female i don't like the idea wearing something that would be visible through a lot of clothes!

One question - when you say it will only inject once every 2 or 3 days, how does this work? If its fast acting insulin I don't really understand this bit?

Its a continuous basal infusion of a fast acting insulin so you don't need a long acting one - just like in hospital when you get IV insulin when you are in DKA (and probably most of you had this happen to you once!).

Theoretically, this gives more constant flow of insulin and so mimics the pancreas more closely. What is really needed is hooking this up to an accurate implanted glucose monitor and then theoretically, it is possible to mimic the pancreas perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't hold out much hope for proper cures for diabetes but I do hope that these continuous meters will become easily available. It would make a phenomenal difference and it could help people live in the exact same manner as everyone else, barring 4 injections a day. You could eat sugar just before the hypo sets in and stop it from going too high etc.

Is it likely that there'll be a continuous blood sugar meter to go along with an insulin pump in the near future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

which insulin pump do YOU have?? I mean which brand and model or sth?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Johnny Meagher

Hi mdw, thanks for starting the thread. I am on a basal/bolus regime using very long acting insulin in the morning (Levemir) with bolus's of very short acting insulin (Novorapid) at meal times or for spot control/snacks . The Levemir gives pretty even cover over 24 hours. Is there a significant difference in these two basal/bolus methods of control?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

If you had asked me a year ago i would have agreed, my control was perfect, averages were as good as you could expect from the type of insulin regime i was on. But i decided, more for a change than anything else, to give it a try and i would not look back. You say it gives "some passing convenience" i would say that is a bit of an understatement, it gives amazing freedom and as close to complete control as we can get so far. <<<<It does still mean you have to work at it though :rolleyes:. I just wanted to let people know that the pump isn't just for people struggling with their control but can have a huge impact on those of us who are in control also,
    Cheers,
    Alan,

what are your HBA1C averages?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,
    I haven't read any of your posts before and was just wondering if you are male or female. I only ask because I am seriously considering the insulin Pump and as a woman would like to see how other women have found it. Its just that I am conscious about how well concealed I will be able to keep it.
    I am 21 and have had diabetes for 19 years, my control is pretty bad so I'm hoping this could help
    any advice greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mdw

Hi Ais 85,

I have been a dibetic for nearly 17 years and am aged 26 and male. the pump is about the size of a mobile phone maybe slightly thicker. I suppose for a guy its a little easier to wear it on a belt, however medtronic the company that makes them have loads of different products that can help hide it. When I was getting my pump fitted I was told that a lady that was getting married bought some sort of purse that she could put the pump into and wear it on her leg. If that is your only concern I would go ahead and get your name down on the waiting list.

During the day I would hardly notice it was even there. I had ok control when i was on multiple injections but would still get a fair few hypos and a good few high. I think it was down to the uneven distribution of the background insulin. I do still get high and hypos but defo not as bad maybe 12-13 would be the average high I would get now compared to 16 previously.

You can have as many different background rates as you like I currently have 8. It does take some time to get the rates right but then they only need a little management from time to time. Everyone one has an idea of there pattern for me mine is high when I get up (therefore I have a higher background rate in the morning which reduces during the day because I had been getting very bad hypos during the night. Its brilliant I would never go back to multiple injections.

Sleeping I never even notice it and it hasloads of safety features and is very user friendly. Do some research on the web and get one. highly recommend them. Ask to see a real one the next time you go to the clinic you will be surprised because I really was I had the same fear but there are ways of hiding it if thats what you want.

Let meknow if you want any more advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mdw wrote: »
    When I was getting my pump fitted I was told that a lady that was getting married bought some sort of purse that she could put the pump into and wear it on her leg. If that is your only concern I would go ahead and get your name down on the waiting list.
    There seems to be a few different discrete places they have holders for here that you can hide the pump about your person depending on what your wearing or doing at the time:
    Clicky

Hi Ais
    I'm a female pumper - no problem wearing it - lots of different ideas on IP-UK website ip-uk@insulin-pumpers.org which you'll need to register for but worth it for the info.

I've recently come back from UK after 20 yrs. I'm with Bournemouth Hospital Diabetes Centre and they want to refer me to Dublin hospital for more immediate back-up with my pump. Can anyone recommend Mater Pumping Clinic? Who are the consultants/DSNs they should write to? Any thoughts? Thanks!

wow a website about diabeties.........deadly :D

any1 up 4 a diabetic revolution lol :L:L:L

singed

John

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

mdw wrote: »

I think it is by far the best way to treat diabeties.

I totally agree with the above.
    (i) I have much fewer night time lows that I had on lantus.
    (ii) If you do sports of the endurance variety your insulin control is much more instantaneous which is a massive plus.

My pump has been the single biggest improvement in terms of limiting the effect of my diabetes on my life style (while staying a healthy diabetic). I am diabetic since 1987 and saying it is the biggest single improvement means I rate it as a bigger improvement than the change over to meal time insulins from injecting solely long acting insulin in the morning and evening.

My HBa1Cs have been consistently good on the pump and prior to that on lantus / humalog.
    If you are a skeptic, I advise you to try one out and see.

If anyone wants further info PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great thread I was just coming on here to start asking questions, discussed this at my last checkup in Tallaght Hospital, my Doc is great, he said I should do my own research on it and when I'm back in next Jan we can discuss, as was pointed out it would be great if there was some kind of device that you could wear say on your rist that could periodically check your sugar levels and let the pump know, I suppose there would be some danger in that if it malfunctioned you could get a dangerous amount of insulin in one shot. BTW is it the same type of needle with the pump? i.e. is it thicker does it hurt?

Thanks

Great thread I was just coming on here to start asking questions, discussed this at my last checkup in Tallaght Hospital, my Doc is great, he said I should do my own research on it and when I'm back in next Jan we can discuss, as was pointed out it would be great if there was some kind of device that you could wear say on your rist that could periodically check your sugar levels and let the pump know, I suppose there would be some danger in that if it malfunctioned you could get a dangerous amount of insulin in one shot. BTW is it the same type of needle with the pump? i.e. is it thicker does it hurt?

Thanks

You can get a realtime blood sugar monitor that integrates with a pump. It will not give a dose without user intervention, however you can set an alarm on the pump to go off when blood sugars go above and below ceratin levels. Hard to get this in LTI as it is quite expensive.

The catather / insulin is inserted using a needle, it ain't too sore you get used to it same as blood tests / injections.
    I should say the odd time you can really gush blood from the catather site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

barrabus wrote: »
    I should say the odd time you can really gush blood from the catather site.

I've had a pump for 2 years now, and that's never happened to me:eek:. Do you mean when you remove the infusion set? Or when inserting?
    I've worn the real time blood sugar monitors a couple of times and found them to be quite uncomfortable tbh, definitely wouldn't be prepared to wear one 24/7. The technology will advance in the next few years and i believe the integration of a pump and real time blood monitor will improve but for now, it's still quote cumbersome.

. Do you mean when you remove the infusion set? Or when inserting?
    it has mainly happened when removing .. a mini reservoir dogs .. not good in a white shirt.;)

• Advertisement

much more than pumps i would appreciate availability of this.

http://www.abbott.com/en_US/application/html/message.html

Having full control over my sugars-that would be great. i wouldnt mind taking injections. i believe it's much more useful than pump. it should be considered a necessity for all diabetes people.

i've heard they are introducing this in the uk currently. i wonder how long it takes to have it in ireland...

uli84 wrote: »
    much more than pumps i would appreciate availability of this.

http://www.abbott.com/en_US/application/html/message.html

Having full control over my sugars-that would be great. i wouldnt mind taking injections. i believe it's much more useful than pump. it should be considered a necessity for all diabetes people.

i've heard they are introducing this in the uk currently. i wonder how long it takes to have it in ireland...
    that link was down when I tried it .. what was it?
    I am curious.

sorry, they messed up sth on the site. That's the link

http://www.freestylenavigator.com/ab_nav/

Read pretty good reviews of that on US sites. It was introduced in the UK in October too, hope that will be available in Ireland soon. I do not mind injections but the fact that I may not know that my sugar is too high or too low any time during the day and/or night is freaking me out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

damn thats a cool system, I'll be mentioning it to my Doctor in January when I see him, see if I can get on a trial when it arrives to these shores, I would say it will work out expensive being a new technology and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting, could end up a gazing at it all day.

Mike

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I want one of those meters. That they had a team in the Race Across America cycle race all wearing them for the duration as well proves that it's more than capable of working for my relatively simple exersise activites as well.

Re: just general getting put on the pump though.

At my annual service last week they again asked me at one point during the general natter if I'd heard of the insulin pumps, I said yes, he then changed the topic and started talking about something else. That is probably the third or fourth time they have brought up the topic of pumps but never actually said anything more about them to me though.

It's almost as if they just have to mention them once in every consultation, but are not actually interested in the bother of putting anyone on the pump or carrying on the conversation any further. Do I actually have to suggest it to them first or something to be considered for it, or are they discounting me as being unsuitable for it but still keep on briefly bringing the topic up each time I see them in order to tease me a bit.

I know that nobody here knows what is going through their minds, but it's just a bit weird that they keep asking me about pumps but never going any further with that train of thought. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Viper Two Zero

NO WAY A THREAD ON INSULINE PUMPS!!!!!!!!

Got mine three years ago and its the right job. As far
    as i am concerned it is the nearist to "normality" as i
    have been since diagnosed when i was twenty, i'm
    nearly twenty six now. The only way i'd stop using it is
    (A) somebody finds a cure (B) i wake up in a large pine box.

p.s a lot of women especially seem to be a concerned about
    the pump showing. it is only the size as a box of ten smokes
    and you can still revert back to a pen for a night or two if need be
    it is no problem.

once you go on a pump you will not go back

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Just curious. Never really thought about it. Have diabetes for 12 years now. What do you do for physical activities like football or swimming?? Can it be removed temporarily, then worn again?

robinph wrote: »

Re: just general getting put on the pump though.

At my annual service last week they again asked me at one point during the general natter if I'd heard of the insulin pumps, I said yes, he then changed the topic and started talking about something else. That is probably the third or fourth time they have brought up the topic of pumps but never actually said anything more about them to me though.

It's almost as if they just have to mention them once in every consultation, but are not actually interested in the bother of putting anyone on the pump or carrying on the conversation any further. Do I actually have to suggest it to them first or something to be considered for it, or are they discounting me as being unsuitable for it but still keep on briefly bringing the topic up each time I see them in order to tease me a bit.

I think it depends on your consultant... I know when the second diabetic consultant came on board at beaumont anyone who wanted a pump went under his care as he had expertise from his previous hospital (I think it was in the US). I dont know if there was many patients on pumps there prior to him joining.

If you really want a pump either push it with your hospital or change to a hospital that is known as having a competence with pumps.
    AFAIK In order to get one the consultant / someone in hospital will have to apply to your local health board on your behalf for one.

• Advertisement

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Just curious. Never really thought about it. Have diabetes for 12 years now. What do you do for physical activities like football or swimming?? Can it be removed temporarily, then worn again?

yes

Advertisement