Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cockbain

• 25-06-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Brent Cockbain has asked the Osperys for a transfer. His been injured for a huge amount of the last season and as a result, at least in part, wont be involved with Wales in the WC. In an interview I read over the weekend he has said that he would be interested in a move to the English premiership.
    What chances of Munster or Leinster landing him.
    Munster signed Wyatt last season, who I believe isnt as good a player as Cockbain. Leinster could do with him, and he would definetly get more game time with them than at Munster.
    Anyway my point about this player is that he is a very strong rugby player, who IMO should be heading to the WC. How they can pick own over Cockbain I dont know, and dont tell me that its because Owen can cover 8 and 6 as well as 4 or 5 because Owen is seen as a secound rower for his country. Cockbain is a good strong player with a few good years ahead of him and would be a definite addition to either Munster or Leinster, maybe even Ulster?
    Why do all y'all think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

personally i think cockbain is an over rated mercenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Not a good signing as his body is breaking down. Think he was vastly overrated anyway. He shouldn't have been on the Lions tour no matter how injuries they had.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I can't remember Owen playing lock for Wales in any senior international. I would think that his position is primarly as a number 8 at international level, followed by flanker. I would be very surprised if he is anything more than an "in case of emergency break glass" type of an option as a lock, much like Mick 0'Driscoll and the back row :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I wouldn't like to see him come to Leinster, but he could cover during the RWC. He's not a bad player (not as good as his bro).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

we'll take him over that waste of space Wyatt anyday at least he has a bit of physicality about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

Wyatt was definitely a mistake, but he is contracted for another year, so no chance of off-loading him. Munster wouldn't really need Cockbain, he'd earn decent money and once the WC is over and the regular starters are back there'd be far too many locks. Donnacha Ryan is very promising, I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of him.

He wouldn't have been a bad signing for Leinster, but with Cullen, MOK and Hogan I'm not sure how much he would have added. By all accounts his omission from the Welsh squad is a bit bizarre. He's been dumped for some journeyman I'd never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Llambed

I think his physicality is someting that makes him stand out over other players.
    I think that were he at Leinster I think he would be pushing MOK, at this stage of his career, for a starting place.
    Cockbain is not a mercenary at all.Have you any thoughts as to why exactly you've formed this opinion Ruggiebear?

Again all I am saying is that with the huge influx of players into the European game I think that Cockbain represents a type of player which could definetly excel in the Magners League and then possibly do a job in the Heiniken(in the case of this player I dont think he would start a HC game for either Munster or Leinster). As this is a World Cup year he a type of squad player that could make the difference when playing over a long and what will definetly be a more draining season than others.

Advertisement