Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loss of W and M on B renewal

Options
  • 25-06-2007 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I just got my full B licence back after renewing it along with my provisional C + C1. I notice that I no longer have the W and M classes on the licence, ie they have been left blank. To be entitled to them do they need to be completed or is it taken as read if you have a full B you also have W and M?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bond-007 wrote:
    or is it taken as read if you have a full B you also have W and M?
    Yes, you have them automatically with the B. They don't mark them in anymore but I believe that they will do so if requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 9th

I know that you can drive M category vehicles if you have a full B license. How that enables you to drive a moped I don't know. Never heard about if for category W vehicles. I have a full A license myself. Interestingly there is no mention of my being allowed to drive category M vehicles. I assume I can :o , but if you want to get technical an A licence refer to vehicles 125cc+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

AFAIK A also covers A1 in much the same way classes C and D swallow up their junior parnters.

A side note, do which class do 3 wheeled motorcycles fall under?

Bond-007 wrote:
    which class do 3 wheeled motorcycles fall under?
    Motorcycles with a side car come under A but I'm not sure about 3 wheeled motorcycles or 3 wheeled ATV's (in a public place).

Or what about the Reliant Robin?

AFAIK in the UK, 3 wheeled vehicles come under the B1 classification but that isn't used here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Bond-007 wrote:
    I just got my full B licence back after renewing it along with my provisional C + C1. I notice that I no longer have the W and M classes on the licence, ie they have been left blank. To be entitled to them do they need to be completed or is it taken as read if you have a full B you also have W and M?

You are entitled to them, you didn't get them because you didn't tick them on the form.

• Advertisement

You are entitled to them, you didn't get them because you didn't tick them on the form.
    I ticked the boxes but didn't get them in my last renewal. It sticks out a bit in my license because I have all the others. When I enquired I was told that they didn't do it anymore as they are given by default with a B. Looks odd with them blank. I think that they will add then if requested but I didn't get around to it.

EDIT: Are you confusing it with a provisional license.

Whoever issued your licence made a mistake and should have given them to you.
    They are automatic but there is nothing stopping them from putting it on the licence, I presume because thay are automatic that even without them on the licence there should be no consequences.

EDIT: This is the case in Dublin, I cannot comment on other motor tax offices.

I presume because thay are automatic that even without them on the licence there should be no consequences.
    Yup.
    The Husler wrote:
    EDIT: This is the case in Dublin, I cannot comment on other motor tax offices.
    I renewed in Ballymun.

I certainly wouldn't have left tham blank if you ticked them, if it was something serious it would not have got through quality control (presuming there is such a section in Ballymun) but since it doesn't really matter it would have been let through, but whoever issued it still made an error because it's hard to miss somebody tick M and W (since it is more unusual than you would think)

I'm actually a little unsure about the M situation. With the latest licences anyway, W automatically comes with the B, if you tick it you will get it. But M is not there, so full B holders are not automatically entitled to have M on their licence, but there may just be a given rule that you are allowed to drive them.

I'll try and find out.

• Advertisement

I'll try and find out.
    You do that The Hustler! :)

9th wrote:
    I know that you can drive M category vehicles if you have a full B license. How that enables you to drive a moped I don't know. Never heard about if for category W vehicles. I have a full A license myself. Interestingly there is no mention of my being allowed to drive category M vehicles. I assume I can :o , but if you want to get technical an A licence refer to vehicles 125cc+.

Ok, this did used to be the case up until recently enough. I'm not sure when the cut off point was but now you do not get M with a full B licence (you still get W). And you do get it if you have a full A licence if you tick it.

By the way, there are a huge amount of people who just tick B when they are entitled to more, if you don't tick it you are not allowed drive on it.

For those who already had M with their B licence you don't lose that entitlement, it only effects new full licences.

Ok, this did used to be the case up until recently enough. I'm not sure when the cut off point was but now you do not get M with a full B licence (you still get W). And you do get it if you have a full A licence if you tick it.

By the way, there are a huge amount of people who just tick B when they are entitled to more, if you don't tick it you are not allowed drive on it.

For those who already had M with their B licence you don't lose that entitlement, it only effects new full licences.
    Fair play The Hustler - you were correct all along. Category M was dropped under Statutory Instrument 705 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 which was signed into law on the 10th of November 2004.

Now I'd better get along to my local MTO as get that rectified! :D

Advertisement