Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court, getting sworn in.

Options
  • 25-06-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Several years ago I had the misfortune to sit on a jury in the Four Courts. Before I could take part in the jury I was sworn in ( I can't remember exactly what I had to swear to) whilst holding the bible. I remember that other religious texts were available for various different religions.
    If someone is an Atheist how are they sworn in? Indeed, isn't the notion of telling the truth dependent on people's christian beliefs (I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth so help me God)? If one is not a christian what motive is there to tell the truth in court if you are not living in fear of God?

Comments

Par72 wrote:
    Indeed, isn't the notion of telling the truth dependent on people's christian beliefs
    Er, no.

If one is not a christian what motive is there to tell the truth in court if you are not living in fear of God?
    ... that's not really a serious question is it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Par72 wrote:
    Several years ago I had the misfortune to sit on a jury in the Four Courts. Before I could take part in the jury I was sworn in ( I can't remember exactly what I had to swear to) whilst holding the bible. I remember that other religious texts were available for various different religions.
    If someone is an Atheist how are they sworn in? Indeed, isn't the notion of telling the truth dependent on people's christian beliefs (I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth so help me God)? If one is not a christian what motive is there to tell the truth in court if you are not living in fear of God?

I had to give evidence once and was advised by the solicitor to "fake it" because asking for any of the following would be prejudicial to impartiality

The Rights of Man - Thomas Paine
    Origin of the Species - Darwin
    The Satanic Bible - Anton Szandor LaVey

Go figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

bluewolf wrote:
    Er, no.

... that's not really a serious question is it? :confused:

I mean in relation to swearing in on the bible, of course there is motivation to tell the truth but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be because you swore you would on the bible (especially if you don't even believe in the bible or god).

Par72 wrote:
    I mean in relation to swearing in on the bible, of course there is motivation to tell the truth but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be because you swore you would on the bible (especially if you don't even believe in the bible or god).

They do actually give you the option of swearing on something important to you or just simply "swearing you will".

Frankly, its so much pomp and ceremony since no one takes it seriously from a legal perspective. Its merely a tradition and a requireent before testimony can be given. A hangover from more theosophic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Surely you should be able swear in on the constitution or the book of statutes (or whatever its called) seeing as these are the basis on whihch the court sits???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

enda1 wrote:
    Surely you should be able swear in on the constitution or the book of statutes (or whatever its called) seeing as these are the basis on whihch the court sits???

Was about to say the same thing. If i was ever sworn in and I had to place my hand on something I would ask to be sworn in holding the Irish Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'll have my hand on a box of twinkies...:)

I'll have my hand on a box of twinkies...:)

Not very symbolic now is it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I'd be happy to swear on the Principia Discordia. It'd be a joke.

Not to mention lying is a natural process. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/witnesses/the_procedure_for_being_a_witness

You will stand in the witness box and the court registrar will hand you a Bible, which you must hold. The registrar will then ask you to repeat the following oath after him/her, "I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

If you wish to make the affirmation (suitable for those who are not Christians), then you must tell the registrar. The words of the affirmation are "I, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence that I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'd ask for a copy of the constitution to swear on, probably the best option really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you're the type that would fear God after swearing on the bible, you're unlikely to be the type found lying in court. On the flip side usually the ones who are telling porkies are a lot more concerned with saving their hides than what they put their hand on.

If you're the type that would fear God after swearing on the bible, you're unlikely to be the type found lying in court.

True, but if you are an atheists is swearing in on a Bible in a court of law not a form of lie?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jhegarty wrote:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/witnesses/the_procedure_for_being_a_witness

You will stand in the witness box and the court registrar will hand you a Bible, which you must hold. The registrar will then ask you to repeat the following oath after him/her, "I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

If you wish to make the affirmation (suitable for those who are not Christians), then you must tell the registrar. The words of the affirmation are "I, do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence that I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

Yeah, but that's only if you're giving evidence, not sitting on a jury.

When I did jury duty I just accepted the swearing-in part as a formality that everyone goes through and went ahead with it. If they gave me the phone book I would have sworn on that too, and probably would have been happier with that than the Bible, but it wasn't really worth getting over-excited about. What I swore on wasn't going to change how I behaved on the jury or sway my opinion on whether the defendent was innocent or guilty.

Wicknight wrote:
    True, but if you are an atheists is swearing in on a Bible in a court of law not a form of lie?
    Well I was wondering about that.

Could some sneaky defence lawyer introduce dramatic evidence late in the proceedings showing you active on the A/A forum, after having sworn on the bible, thereby making your testimony INVALID (Your Honour), and put you in contempt...?

Doubt it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Wicknight wrote:
    Wicknight, you should bring 'The God Delusion' and swear to Richard Dawkins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

enda1 wrote:
    Love that idea, never thought of it:)

Wicknight, you should bring 'The God Delusion' and swear to Richard Dawkins :)

Sure I might just bring along the man himself, and wear with my lips puckered up against his ass ... now there is a mental image for ya!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Wicknight wrote:
    Sure I might just bring along the man himself, and wear with my lips puckered up against his ass ... now there is a mental image for ya!! :D
    I just hope it's not a "child abuse" case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Now, who says Aethiests don't have a sense of humour? I think that ass comment deserves to be copied and pasted into that Joyless Aethiest's thread...:)

• Advertisement

Perhaps rather than swearing on the "truth", one could swear on the "falsifiable theory with the most objective and empirical evidence".

Winters wrote:
    I'd ask for a copy of the constitution to swear on, probably the best option really.

Only if you agree with all of its contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was on a jury, and I remember that I was sworn in, but I honestly don't remember if there was a Bible involved. Sounds like the kind of thing I'd kick up a fuss about. As far as I can remember I had to raise my right hand and repeat something along the lines of "I do swear to carry out my duties with honesty and impartiality blahdy blah". Almost certain there was no bible involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I just hope it's not a "child abuse" case :)
    Was that ban really one week long!:D Time flies. By the way, welcome back.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

jhegarty wrote:

There you unbelievers go hijacking our customs again. :)

The option to make an affirmation instead of swearing an oath, which Irish law adopted from the English, actually goes back to King William III (the gay Orangeman). Quakers refused to swear an oath because of their desire to obey the Bible: Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned. (James 5:12) So King Billy let them swear an affirmation instead. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=46841

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 p1k3y

Use of Bible in court room ??????
    What about Jesus's "Do not judge, and you will not be judged,". This statement cancels the court system alone.
    Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Wicknight wrote:

I can hear it now; "on this ass I do solemnly swear..."

Wonder how Mr. Dawkins would feel about that :D

p1k3y wrote:
    Use of Bible in court room ??????
    What about Jesus's "Do not judge, and you will not be judged,". This statement cancels the court system alone.
    Ridiculous.

Yes, I've read quite a few essays on various Christians sites trying to come to terms with that little paradox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wicknight wrote:
    Yes, I've read quite a few essays on various Christians sites trying to come to terms with that little paradox.

Jesus was an Anarchist? I don't blame him considering he was a Jew during Roman occupation of Jerusalem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement