Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements to opinions

Options
  • 25-06-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

This thread is in reference to my rant in the sgt. pepper must die thread
    Basically a poster said
    "How can some guy in cornershop slag of dark side of the moon"
    So the poster was saying unless you have created a "great work of art" yourself you cant criticize another one.
    but who is to say Dark Side of the Moon is a better album than When I Was Born for the 7th Time.
    The same thing also happens when musicians dont beleive the opinion of non musicians is relevant often when I have criticised one of the many dredful local dublin bands someone has come to their defence with crap like
    "How would you know your not even in a band"
    I dont need to play music to have an opinion on it as indeed cornershop dont need to sell 30 billion albums or whatever it is Pink Floyd have sold to criticize them.
    Musicians of all levels are far to precious about their music and equally fans are to closed to criticism of their favorite bands.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

There's a giant subjectivity cloud over all of this.

You're already arguing from a private opinion, so you don't have a leg to stand on when someone else uses this kind of tactic.

Any argument about music is not about music, it's about you. I actually hate talking about music & songs. Meh.

But no, you don't have to create in order to criticise. We're not as successful as Pink Floyd, because there can only be a few bands at the top. It's kind of a non-point.

Advertisement