Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chinese BMW?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Brilliance BS6

First they are for sale in Europe, then they get a miserable 1 star in a test run by ADAC (German version of the AA) based on the Euro NCAP rules and then they're no longer for sale. Uh-oh...

brilliancebs6crash_2051351g.jpg

Was supposed to go on sale in the US next year too. Somehow I don't think so now :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Didn't even think a 1 star was possible..... is there any other cars with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What's a Chinese BMW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is it basically a cheap copy with a no name brand?
    You see this a lot with scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Are you refering to the chinese imports in Ballymount ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're manufacturered in Asia AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Brilliance BS6

From Wikipedia:

"Zhonghua (中华), in Europe sold as Brilliance BS6, is a car produced by the Chinese sedan manufacturer Jinbei Automotive Company Ltd., in Shenyang/Liaoning, China, it is a subsidiary from Brilliance (Huachen)."

"Under a Technical Assistance Agreement with BMW AG, BMW will provide engineering consulting services to the production of the Zhonghua sedan. A team of engineers from BMW was stationed in Shenyang Automotive's facilities to assist in the start-up of the production processes."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Looking at the video of the crash test it seems to absorb the impact well up until a certain point then very suddenly the passenger cell collapses. It may be that crucial welds failed at this point in which case it may not be a *huge* deal to get the car to perform better. But the Chinese motor industry is fast gaining a reputation for producing deathtraps, remember the other Chinese car that was crash tested - the Landwind 4wd, it was an even worse result than this BS6.

I think both of these cars would not even meet the mandatory crash standards for cars sold in Europe. (Tests carried out by EuroNCAP and ADAC are at a faster speed than the mandatory tests)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

The car I drive, Rover Metro got the lowest rating I think in the Euro NCAP's. A single star crossed out which indicates serious injury to passengers or something... chicks love danger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Just to clarify, that BS6 is NOT a Chinese BMW. It is a car designed and built by a Chinese company who also happen to be involved with the manafacture of BMW's for the chinese market. It definitely needs a bit of a re-design.

Yes BMW are involved with that company, but not with that car.

No, not a BMW driver (h8 them) but fairs fair, at least have the facts straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

The front axel did not 'give' hence the passenger cell getting a serious makeover - it was merely pushed back further and further until it was through the bulkhead :eek: scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tails142 wrote:
    The car I drive, Rover Metro got the lowest rating I think in the Euro NCAP's. A single star crossed out which indicates serious injury to passengers or something... chicks love danger!!

geez! I thought the seicento was bad :eek:

11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Look at what I drive these days :D:D

NB ...this is not a NCAP test video ...this test was done at 100 km/h and with a full load of cement in the back ...but still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

And then the man's sig is trying to sell his car...!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yeees ...but not that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

This Chinese car fared even worse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rrk3ZjN-I

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I drive one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIFKdvuTylc

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

peasant wrote:

:eek: i don't think you'd find a body amongst that mess..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow @ cherry A15. Those Chinese sure know how to make a good deathtrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

peasant wrote:

NB ...this is not a NCAP test video ...this test was done at 100 km/h and with a full load of cement in the back ...but still

good think it wasnt raining, or that cement would be your tomb aswell :eek:

Advertisement