Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses on Marsh road, Drogheda

Options
  • 25-06-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know why these houses are rather cheap? I have heard rumours that some of them have been built without foundations - anyone know if this is true or if there is any way of finding out without getting to the stage of employing a surveyor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

being built so close to the river i really doubt they were built without foundations, if they were they'd be a mess by now. i'm not sure but i'd say there that price because the location/area isn't great looking, the house's are probably run down and not in great conditon, the houses are right on top of each other and the street looks dirty and derelict.

i wouldn't consider the 250k mark as cheap for one,i'd say it was expensive, but for a first time buyer in drogheda it may be alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The Marsh road is also prone to flooding and with things going the way they are, insurance for the 1/4 million mortgage may be hard to source.
    Are these houses the terraced red brick just past the turn into scotch hall car park, on the same side?
    As for no foundations, I doubt it....what you may have heard is that they're not sitting on driven piles or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Not the redbrick houses, the stone built terraced ones just past the entrance to the D hotel carpark, on the Dublin road side.

I couldn't see any evidence of flood damage but obviously am going to get a surveyor in before I make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Now don't take me wrong, it's a very high tide combined with wet weather or a storm that will lead to flooding and I don't know if water would come back as far as there but I can recall it happening a few times over the years ....it might be only once in a decade but it does happen. I know the houses you're talking about, I doubt they're built more than a year or two. With all the work done along that quayside there may well have been flood defences added.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

eth0_ wrote:
    Not the redbrick houses, the stone built terraced ones just past the entrance to the D hotel carpark, on the Dublin road side.

I couldn't see any evidence of flood damage but obviously am going to get a surveyor in before I make a decision.

Sorry can't help you re: foundations but as the area is quite old and close proximity to water - you are right to get a surveyor...I have used a guy before he was very good and thorough and honest (from Donore - pm me if you want his details)..Check out the house at busy times also .... if it is near to Scotch Hall - a lot of people park around there (for work in Scotch Hall and in Drogheda Town), if the house has a driveway you will be ok but if not, parking could be a problem...also check the price of house insurance with a few companies just to see if the location beside the river would make it expensive...I'd check the area out at weekends also, see whats it like at night ... Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I've lived in Drogheda just over 2 years and I've read about Marsh Rd flooding more than once during that time. Heavy rains (like we've had this past week) and/or a high tide will do it.

Phase 2 of Scotch Hall will be starting in the near future, and that will mean a building site across from the houses. When Scotch Hall phase 1 was in progress, the residents of Marsh Rd couldn't get into or out of their homes due to dust, dirt, traffic, parking - and at one stage, the builders even closed the road altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

its a kip of an area aswell

Advertisement