Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

m50 speed cameras working?

Options
  • 25-06-2007 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

a quick question, do the m50 speed cameras work? i have noticed while driving on it over the last while that the cameras dont seem to flash. i have noticed this both day and night. not that anyone seems to care with the speed they still drive :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Not sure about the northbound ones, but the southbound one (at the toll bridge) was flashing like a hooer there a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

is there any cameras at all northbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I set the northbound one (near the Tallaght exit) off a few months ago but never got a letter about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

draffodx wrote:
    is there any cameras at all northbound?

there's one just after the tallaght junction. and another one after the toll bridge, think it's between the ballymun and airport turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

tabatha wrote:
    a quick question, do the m50 speed cameras work? i have noticed while driving on it over the last while that the cameras dont seem to flash. i have noticed this both day and night. not that anyone seems to care with the speed they still drive :rolleyes:

I was watching the one at the M50 toll bridge one day and it was only flashing once for each car it "caught". It's supposed to take two photos. I haven't heard of anybody receiving a fine so far...

...has anybody here received a fine from one of these fixed cameras on the M50?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've went through both the one on the Toll Bridge and the one at the Tallaght exit a few miles per hour over the limit and their was no flash whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I dont think the one at the toll is working, past it at 80km n it didnt go off, seen people do it faster n it didnt go off... This was at 3am so it deffo should have been flashing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It might just be a dummy radar unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I got nabbed last December heading southbound with one of the fixed cameras near the finglas flyover (is it gone now ?) ... the ticket still hasnt arrived in the door... i dread to see the postman arriving each day, wait until you see ,as soon as i forget about it, the letter will land in the door or worse still, as i type this, an post are shining the letter in anticipation of dropping it in my door in the morning:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I go by there alot (nearly everyday) and usually am over the limit and never get caught.It does flash sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

andrew1977 wrote:
    I got nabbed last December heading southbound with one of the fixed cameras near the finglas flyover (is it gone now ?) ... the ticket still hasnt arrived in the door... i dread to see the postman arriving each day, wait until you see ,as soon as i forget about it, the letter will land in the door or worse still, as i type this, an post are shining the letter in anticipation of dropping it in my door in the morning:D

The previous southbound fixed camera was at Ballymun. It has now been removed.

Until recently, there were only three cameras for thes boxes in the country and they were rotated around the different boxes. Not sure whether that is still the case, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that some of the cameras are not working due to this, or other reasons.

Won't last long though. The new camera contract coming into effect this iyear will mean mobile cameras will pop up everywhere. So we're all going to have to stop speeding or we'll all inevitably end up with points. And that's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Well, if the cameras are quite busy (which I'd expect them to be) it's unlikely they'd move the cameras to a less lucrative spot, so I'd guess that when they're not flashing they're probably full and waiting to be emptied of all those lovely images... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The camera near the tallaght is a joke. I have never seen it flash in the past few months. It was working for a few weeks when they initially put it up but seems to be there for display purposes only now.

And even if it is working it it is pointless - motorists spped up to within a few 100 metres of it, slow to 40mph then just past it will speed up again.

I welcome the mobile speed cameras - my only worry is that the people getting the contracts for them will use it as a revenue gathering exercise only and nab motorists because they have "accidentally" set their cameras at 2-3mph below the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

No, no, I'm sure the new cameras will be great and there won't be any accusations of underhand or foul play. Well, there may be, but it will only be from the type of maniac who does 130 km/h on the motorway for five seconds until he catches up with the next guy driving at 80 in the fast lane.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 baddabing

Think Dublin City Centre clampers with speed guns, that is exactly what we are in for.

They will be hiding in bushes, behind walls, and we will have no course to complain about them, believe me!

Also, always beware of *any* vehicle pulled in and stopped on any dual carriageway or motorway, especially vans, the older the more chance they are gatso's

As for the N11 southbound to Wexford, bland grey standard new BMW 3-series are also coppers too, volvos are the same..

Basically, you have to scan ahead at all times and look at your surroundings, this will give you heads up on most traps....and of course, this sort of observation is what you should be doing while in control of a motor vehicle at any sort of speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen people going through the Northbound one well over the limit over the last couple of weeks, and no flash. I did however see it flash before for two cars who flew through it.

So either it's "out of flash" (i.e. needs a service), or they've actually set the limits quite high.

Anyone want to go through them at 100km/h and let us know what happens? :D
    We'll all do a whip round for the fine, honest :p

Advertisement