Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travellers calling themselvs 'knackers'

• 25-06-2007 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Has anybody come across this or is it just the group that are in my town. They refer to each other as 'knacker' or 'my knacker' just like the blacks in america have claimed back '******'. Very funny at first but then you feel like taking your word back from them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was never your/our word.
    Knacker refers to dealing with horses so that's where it comes from.

Of course if we post it here, we'll be lynched :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Did you just get that after my reply to you in the skanger thread.....
    If not we have some scary psychic thing going on:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Meh. People down the country will greet each other with "alright sham" but then talk along the lines of "fierce trouble down the pub last night, Mickey got glassed in the face by a couple of shams"

Maybe Pat Shortt should rob Chris Rocks take on it

"I hayte shams bai! I hayte culchie no ambition havin mother****in shams to much i wish i could join the Dublin suporters club........."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭tomster

I've been walking Henry St. in the city, carrying a present for my son's classmate wrapped up in a Smyth's bag. The bag was quite big and I presume that was a reason why one of gypsy girls hanging around paid attention to me. She started pushing my arm and shout "Excuse me, change please!!!". I found it very rude and ignored her, but she was following me at least 20 meters shouting "Whats your problem, change, change"... What am I supposed to do? They seem to be far more agressive in Ireland than gypsies I've seen in Poland... Any advices for the future?

Aggressively tell her to go fcuk herself. I do it all the time when they harass if they ask more than once, tell them to get a job and be on your way. Its the anger of breaking my balls in work and undeserving people demanding cash. I cant say I mind the roma flower sellers outside nightclubs, Ive scored the odd time buying that rubbish :D But at least their working, its the ones who expect you to owe them something by approaching with a hand out that get me. Jesus, even junkies usually just sit there with their cup and let passers by make their own judgement.

All this about the ones in the Ballymn bushes is something else. The Irish state doesnt owe them a home. If a group of alcoholics, junkies and general skangers from, say, Holland or Denmark came over and demanded freebies, would any action groups care? Of course not, but the gypsies seem to get special treatment?

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Jesus, even junkies usually just sit there with their cup and let passers by make their own judgement.

That's what I always do, I give them some change, same as for church charities etc. I know it may sound funny, but that situation just scared me...

Mind you im not sure which is worse- gyppos who harass you for money and would probably readily admit they want to buy drink with it, or smiley faced long haired Trinity students earning a tenner an hour for "charitable" fundraising.

Students don't touch and don't harass people in such rude way. And, at least they understand if I say "Thank you" and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiamDuff

tomster wrote:
    Students don't touch and don't harass people in such rude way. And, at least they understand if I say "Thank you" and walk away.

You haven't met a real student chugger then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Yeah this summers batch seem fairly meek compared to the harrassement Im used to on grafton St.

On the gypo problem. One came to me outside a night club, I gave her a bit of change and she said "No, two euro please!"

I couldnt believe the cheek, told her to go **** herself and she tried to slap me. I mean, what the ****.

• Advertisement

Yeah this summers batch seem fairly meek compared to the harrassement Im used to on grafton St.

On the gypo problem. One came to me outside a night club, I gave her a bit of change and she said "No, two euro please!"

I couldnt believe the cheek, told her to go **** herself and she tried to slap me. I mean, what the ****.

Well now, a new question rises: What can we, normal people, do about this? Is it gonna get worse if no one takes any steps?
    Personally I'm a type of shy and quiet person, I can't force myself to simply say F.O. to somebody and I'm also not gonna fight with anyone. Run away? Forget about the City Centre? Even local scumbags are more friendly (yes, friendly) to me as I've never been bothered before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Hang them. Hang them all. From meat hooks, if available.

Otherwise it's just back to accepting our lot and getting on with it. Anything else is racism, and it'll be you hanging from the hook.

Judt wrote:
    Hang them. Hang them all. From meat hooks, if available.

Otherwise it's just back to accepting our lot and getting on with it. Anything else is racism, and it'll be you hanging from the hook.

I asked that question as a member of minority, with no intention of racism I experienced personally. But is racism to ask how to defend myself against harassing behaviour of others? Well, as far as I see it is, and my point is "left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How did the thread about travellers turn into a thread about roma gypsies? They're taking over our minds!!

In fairness there's an estate where I live that was built especially for travellers and they walk through quite a bit... I've never heard them call each other knackers... weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Oh No!!!... It's Happening... They've Become...... Self Aware!!! Arrrghh Run For The Hills! No, Not Them Hills, Them Be Knacker Hills, The Other Hills!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

LiamDuff wrote:
    Has anybody come across this or is it just the group that are in my town. They refer to each other as 'knacker' or 'my knacker' just like the blacks in america have claimed back '******'. Very funny at first but then you feel like taking your word back from them.
    if i may quote homer simpson, "That is our word for making fun of ye, we need it!"

Advertisement