Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor signal rip wave

Options
  • 25-06-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

my brother got ripwave broadband on saturday all tough he is in an area that can pick up ripwave he has a very poor or no signal at all. If he leaves it near his window he sometimes can get a poor signal but if he puts it outside the window the signal is much better this is not very pratical. He rang ripwave help line talked to an an agent who told him to move it to another room which he all ready did but did not work then he tried to blame it on the weather, he was as usful as a one legged man in a ass kicking contest. Just wondering can anyone help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Put it in a watertight box outside. :D

I am not kidding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Where does he live exactly?

Rip wave boxes can be very tempermental. I was living just off Camden streetin Dublin last year and I got a very weak signal. Had to send it back after a few weeks. I live in Cork now and it works just fine (well, 90% of the time anyway). Things like high buildings and what level floor your on can have a bearing on signal strenght.

It may be the case that the signal he gets is as good as he will get

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

I fins i have trouble witrh mine, esp when the weather turns, i just tried out a bunch of places and found a spot on my window sill where if its on a couple of dvd boxes it gets a pretty consistant signal.

its a really poor service if your doing stuff like uploading vidoes etc though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Ripwave should be called Rip Off in my opinion,my modem crawls along at sub dialup speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

With ripwaves you need to be in coverage and even when in coverage you really to make sure you are getting good signal and quality strength (less than 100 dbm for both and the lower the better) combined with steady SNR over 18. As far as I know also the best firmware and lastest version to have on the modem should be 4.05 which can help.
    As being advised to moving it around it is useful as you can pickup a stronger connection doing this and unfortunatly there is no way IBB can boost a signal directly to say any one particular RW modem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I gave up on Ripwave after a few months because it was so unpredictable.....spent 4 hours trying to send an important 200K email one night, and ended up resorting to dial-up in the end, since RipWave continuously dropped the connection with varying percentages sent.

Got proper BB as soon as it arrived in the area, and IBB still haven't bothered to collect their box.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I propped up a ripwave in front of an MMDs dish with stalk/aeriel/ LNB removed propped on desk upstairs and got 10km range, 50% signal and 220kbps speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hi folks. Im just posting this for Rip Wave users.
    I have boosted my ripwave signal by 40% and stabelized the connection completely. I
    havent lost a connection in 96 hours. My download rate is a constant 58.6kb, and i have tested my connection on
    ISP test. I received 498k. I have achieved this by usung a pringles can in the method known as Cantenna. Instructions are availible on
    the internet on the method but its easy. Cut a whole in a pringles can(empty cans are preferable!!!). The whole
    should be big enough for the rip wave antenna, but not too big as the can needs to stay on.
    Place the pringles can ontop of the repwave unit in such a way as that the antenna is stuck inside the can.
    This will block out all other signals and amplify the ripwave signal slightly. It was neccessary to do this after the ripwave had connected to the network.
    I tried it again with the unit switched off and it didnt work. But once switched on and connected, when the can was placed as described above
    a noticable improvement was recorded. I will post more information as i get it. For more information google pringles, can , antenna, cantenna.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

watty wrote:
    I propped up a ripwave in front of an MMDs dish with stalk/aeriel/ LNB removed propped on desk upstairs and got 10km range, 50% signal and 220kbps speed.

Thats all thats needed for Ripwave, a high gain antenna and somebody on boards has been promoting a pringles can (a parabolic antenna pretty much) which is working fine for them.

Because of the frequency Clearwire operate on they interfere with the Ripwave signal. The freq spectrum looks as follows:

[IBB][CWI][IBB][CWI]

so the depending on what freq the BTS you are connected to is operating on, it may be sandwiched between the CWI frequency (Clearwire Ire) and be getting hammered.

Not enough spectrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭liamtech

Folks ive set up a new thread on the Pringles Can solution for Ripwave. I have pictures and screen Grabs of the results. Let me know if you have any questions!! liamtechy@gmail.com

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
Advertisement